Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 27th July

Comments (382)

• Yuff says:

Guernsey has decided that fully vaccinated travellers will need to have multiple lateral flow test when they arrive in the Bailiwick.

The Civil Contingencies Authority (CCA) will introduce lateral flow tests on arrival for adults who have travelled from the ‘blue channel’. These are people coming from the Common Travel Area (CTA) who have had two vaccine doses at least 14 days before.

The changes will come into effect on Tuesday 3 August if the testing packs arrive in time.

The decision comes after the States of Guernsey announced on Friday fully vaccinated travellers would need to have a pre-travel negative Covid-19 test.

The states reversed this decision.

I arrive on the 2nd 🤣

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

Nice to see these last minute changes benefiting some’s travel plans on here for once. Hope you have a great stay on our little island Yuff 🙂

• Mel TS says:

I suspect this has come up before and I just cant see it. Does anyone have any bright ideas on how to get through to a person at Virgin?
    I’m trying to cancel Boston reward flights over the august bank holiday and am getting no where with the WhatsApp. First response was on Sunday 3 days after my message, I replied instantly and finally got a reply tonight. I was at work and didnt see the message for 20 minutes – which didn’t matter anyway as after 10 minutes they had ended the chat as I hadn’t replied. Getting a bit hacked off now!

• John says:

Took an hour 35 last night to get through on phone

• Mel TS says:

Thank you – that’ll be My plan for tomorrow. I am getting really tired of listening to Bittersweet Symphony.

• Harry T says:

You’re going to be stuck calling or messaging, I’m afraid. I’ve not heard of any other method being successful.

• Blindman says:

Took 40 minutes today at 17:00

Best time to call is when they open -07:00

• Mel TS says:

Tried the twitter route, on the off chance just to see if there was any other contact options – amazingly they sorted it!!!

• VickyTM says:

Call early in the morning – I find Sunday first thing a good day to get through.

• Mel TS says:

I usually do the late night/earlu Sunday morning. One Sunday it rang once and some one picked up straight away – I had a mouthful of tea and nearly choked as I was so surprised!

• BJ says:

Anybody know any creative ways to get UA MP miles in UK or is MR-Bonvoy-MP best we can do?

• Rob says:

Marriott’s the best option I think.

• BJ says:

Thanks Rob, just wondered if I was missing something obvious. I was contemplating it to do open haw LAX and SFO with stopovers in DC and NYC as I think only UA now allows stopovers. Poor use of MR though so I’ll stick with Y to East Coast only direct from EDI for cash. However if First becomes possible may do exIBV on BA with 241.

• VickyTM says:

I’m supposed to go to Bulgaria in Sept for my first bit of work since before lockdown (thanks covid). After the UK put them on the green list and they then immediately put us on the red list, it’s a bit tricky. I’m trying to find out if it’s just travelling from the UK that is banned, or if I had been in the UK in the last x amount of days… does anyone have a clearer picture of this as it currently stands? I can’t seem to find the info anywhere. Thanks

• Blindman says:

BEst IHG property fo upgrades freebies?
    Using Free Niight cert
    Spire elite member

London
    Kimpton ?
    IC (been here before don’t expect anything)

Any of the Idigos?

No CP avaialable for the dates.

• BJ says:

Always thought best chances of excellent upgrades are at upper midrange 4* hotels. If you go any higher there is almost always somebody paying cash for best rooms and suites so chances are slimmer.

• LS says:

In Zambia and obviously want to avoid UK hotel quarantine. I see Ireland have removed Zambia from their naughty red list.
    Can I:
    -Go to Ireland from Zambia as a vaccinated UK citizen for a holiday? Just stay there for 10 days with Guinness keeping me going?
    – Could I just drive up to Belfast and fly to London from there? Even if before 10 days have elapsed? Does this break rules?

• Harry T says:

1) Yes.
      2) breaks the law/rules but probably wouldn’t be caught.

• Sukes says:

“If you travel to Northern Ireland from a red list country, via the Republic of Ireland, you may be required to enter managed isolation there, before travelling to NI.If you are not required to enter managed hotel isolation in ROI, due to a difference in red list countries or because you are fully vaccinated, you are still required to enter managed hotel isolation in Northern Ireland and must make your way to the managed isolation hotel within two hours of your arrival into Northern Ireland.”

• Aaron C says:

Yes it breaks the rules but it would unlikely to be detected seeing as there isn’t a passport check between NI and the mainland. When making that journey I use my driving licence as ID at the airport.

• BJ says:

Martin Lewis Newsletter this week considering PCR tests and Covid travel insurance. Doubt there is anything people haven’t already discussed here but perhaps still worth a look.

• BuildBackBetter says:

Boris Johnson is on Wednesday expected to approve the reopening of England’s doors to double-vaccinated tourists from the EU and the US, in a move that will bring relief to the country’s leisure sector.

The government is also poised to add ten countries to the green list next week, allowing quarantine-free travel regardless of vaccination status.

Countries that could be added to the list include Italy, Germany and Canada.

• BJ says:

Where is he going to put them all up, Downing Street?

• Will says:

If we turn all the houses into Airbnb’s they might be able to pump the housing market a little bit more again.

• TGLoyalty says:

Fever red list countries to free up hotels …

• Aaron C says:

One thing I read was that it was only Brits living abroad and they have to get it validated via their GP. Which doesn’t make sense seeing as if they live abroad they won’t have a U.K. GP. There must be very few people who are living in the U.K. with a U.K. GP who have been vaccinated abroad.
      All seems a bit unclear (as usual).

• Harry T says:

Where are you seeing the information about potential green list additions?