Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 31st July

Comments (317)

• Bruce says:

Hi I have a BA holiday to pay the balance on. I have two BA vouchers one for cancelled holiday one for LAX cancelled flight. Two BA customer people have just said pay balance less voucher value. I have e mailed but standard response saying ten days to process. I am just nervous that not paying the full balance by the due date will get the holiday cancelled. Does anyone have experience of this? Many thanks.

• Louise K says:

My pre-COVID experience was BA hols would chase / call before cancelling.

• ChrisC says:

Usually if you haven’t paid the balance in time they will call you.

In which case you can say well I emailed you on XX Date asking for Voucher ABCDEF and UVWXY to be applied te reduce the balance.

• Bruce says:

Many thanks for the prompt response -very much appreciated. With all the other admin to sort out in this new world of travel I just wish this bit was easier. I have been on multiple BA phone lines with no success and a couple with a message saying not able to respond and ringing off. I can’t believe it is that difficult to show in your executive club a credit amount that is then automatically applied to future ‘purchases’. Anyone would think they wanted you to forget about the vouchers…..

• ChrisC says:

It’s more down to the very large number of vouchers and their different types and the suddeness of how they were initiated plus the fact BAs systems were never designed for these sorts of voucher in the first place which is why it’s not as simple as we as passengers and BA as a company would like.

And we as customers should be keeping records of all our vouchers – this is our money. I have a spreadsheet where I record how I have used my vouchers and which I have left to use. Other people print out the emails and write on them when they use them.

As to BA wanting us to forget about the vouchers so it can keep the cash for itself would be illegal.

• Tom1 says:

I moved here a few weeks ago – NHS print out was fine, no test or quarantine. I do have a work permit but i think tourists are ok now.
    Can check here :- https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home

• BP says:

Any more reports from reward stays at SS DV? Are Ambassador benefits definitely being honoured?

• r* says:

All I can say is when I was there, the manager went over the ambassador benefits at checkin and it included breakfast, which we had each day and werent charged for.

If youre concerned, email them and ask, I did that prior to arrival and they had said in the email that ambassador benefits would be provided.

• meta says:

Breakfast is included for Ambassadors at SS properties.

• BP says:

Perfect thanks. I’m not concerned at all, but I wanted to know for sure as it may change whether I’ll book the half-board package and whether I actually become an Ambassador member again. I’m not currently an Ambassador, but I’m at SS DV for five nights, so it’ll easily pay for itself! I also have 2 nights at IC Porto and will likely book three nights in IC Lisbon, so it’ll be worth the money!

• Ammar says:

Any igloo energy referral code?

• David says:

Does anyone know any multi-carrier sweet spots ? Can manage Langkawi with Qatar and Malaysian for just under 14000 miles.

• Louie says:

LHR – HKG – SYD on Cathay then PER – DOH – LHR on Qatar for just under 20k miles.

• G says:

Probably asked a few times – we have BA flights to Tokyo booked for September. BA have cancelled our booked flights however on “Manage my Booking” it says that they have booked us on the next available flights – they are on the same day and only a matter of hours from the original flights. Given Japan are not letting in tourists, we obviously can’t go. What are my options? Ideally we would want to reschedule for next year and I read previously that BA will now allow rebookings beyond the 1 year booking validity period. Some advice would be great please. thanks.

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

I’m in the same situation with New York. I need to phone up BA and hopefully get them moved to next year. If your flights are cancelled it doesn’t matter whether it’s the same day you have the right to reroute or get a cash refund. I don’t anticipate any problems when I phone up BA to move my flights to next year

• ChrisC says:

Standard practice in a cancellation is to rebook onto the closest alternative flight.

You don’t have to accept this if you don’t want but it means if you do want to travel on that date you have a seat on a flight.

BA don’t know your specific circumstances and if you’re eligible to enter Japan or not so they are following their usual policy until told otherwise what you want to do.

• Anna says:

Who was it who predicted the Johnson pregnancy?!

• Chris Heyes says:

Wow is he pregnant ?

• Chris Heyes says:

Hi Anna off to Brighton tomorrow few nights Hilton build up of points,
      week after off to Hilton Avisford Park Arundel (trip round Castle, maybe Wetlands as well)
      Week after that Portsmouth Hotels.Com build Hotels.com nights up
      Spinikker Tower and Mary rose n Docklands we have a 12 month pass
      Week after that Windsor Castle Hotel booked trip round Castle for one day and meal at Hotel
      Then back home, I’M sure you will get more Sun than us lol, just hope we avoid rain lol
      Switching phone off tonight until we get back, got everything printed off so all organized, will have an earful from Daughters when I switch phone back on !
      Why do Daughters always worry ?

• Anna says:

Portsmouth Naval Dockyard is fantastic, we went a couple of times when son & nephew were younger and mad on ships. You’ll be where Nelson’s flagship is, we’re where he famously lost his arm!

• mutley says:

it was me!

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

If Johnson was working class – having so many kids to different mothers that he’s not even sure of the exact number he’d be considered scum by Tory MPs and have a channel 5 documentary made about him.

• Lady London says:

If flight number has changed then the original flight is a cancellation – not just a reschedule – so you have full “airline cancelled my flight” rights.

You can leave your decision till after the outward flight date. Just don’t do anything at all with it and defo don’t click to accept the new flight. You’re not confirmed or expected on it till you click but once you do, that’s your chance to pick a new date for all the flightsvon your booking gone. Same – your right to book anything you like in the future is gone – if you take a refund.

When you’ve worked out what new date you want to travel on at no extra charge call BA to book. You may be able to use MMB online to choose new dates yourself – for some, that works.

Online however even if you can do it yourself the system might only show you avios seats if it was an avios booking. Whereas if airline cancelled you even off an avios seat, a limited-date sale seat, a 241 seat, any type of seat, regardless, if they cancelled your flight then they cannot insist the same type of seat is still available for you to rebook into. Any seat available for cash, you do have a right to be rerouted onto no matter how you paid for your seat.

Seats normally show 355 or so days ahead so wait till seats are showing for the dates you want, if not yet, because you only get one chance to reroute your ticket.