Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 2nd August

Comments (431)

• Nigel says:

HSBC Premier – I have just opened a Premier Account based on the annual income requirement. I Applied online and account was opened immediately. As I understand it I now have 6 months to take out an insurance, investment or protection product with HSBC.
    Anyone know whats the simplest / cheapest product to go for?

• Harry T says:

Just open a GIA and chuck £100 in it. That’s what I’ve done.

• Ls says:

Same. I’ve even got away with leaving the £100 in the uninvested funds part of the account – this way there is no tax liability.

• TGLoyalty says:

Unless your £109 turns into £13000

There is none anyway.

GIA is a general investment account

• LS says:

Any dividends paid have to be declared. This would be most shares/investment trusts (even if the dividends are retained and reinvested). This would be an extra line on the form a year, for £1 or so.
            And if you have to declare any capital gains, then any transaction (including those for just £100) would have to be declared.
            All a load of faff. I am happy with my £100 slowly depreciating by inflation each year.

• TGLoyalty says:

1) any dividends under your £2k tax free allowance does

You do not need to tell HMRC if your dividends are within the dividend allowance for the tax year.

2) any capital gain on disposal (not from property) under £12,300 doesn’t need to be unless you made transactions of 4x the tax free amount

£100 in a GIA you will never touch is not a tax concern.

• TGLoyalty says:

1) was meant to say doesn’t. Damn uneditable posts.

• Jonathan says:

What’s a GIA ?

• Blenz101 says:

@LS You do not to declare your dividends if they are within the dividend allowance for the tax year which is currently £2k.

If the plan is to keep the account then the £100 would be better invested in one of the World Selection Portfolios where you stand a very good chance of more than beating inflation over the long term. Platform charge for a small portofolio isn’t too bad.

• Rantallion says:

I think this is incorrect. You do need to declare all dividends earned in a GIA on your tax return but the first £2k is not taxed.

• Genghis says:

You only need to declare the dividends on a tax return if you are otherwise required to fill in a tax return. If dividends are under £2k per tax year, there’s no reporting requirement.

• iSub says:

GIA = General Investment Account. A brokerage account you can use for investing, as opposed to an account like a Stock and Shares ISA which has tax advantages

• Chris Heyes says:

when I was younger, a lot younger ie 18/19, now 74 It was easy to fiddle capital gains tax with houses any how
        Buy a house declare that you have slept in it overnight even when totally empty
        No Capital gains tax to pay lol good old days ?
        How they believed it without furniture beyond me lol
        Buy another take kitchen sink out and put an old pot sink (cant remember what it was called) Apply for a full grant no restrictions “at the time”
        Only lasted a couple of years until they closed the loopholes
        But made hay whilst the sun shone

• MD says:

@Nigel The advice about putting £100 in a GIA is sound, and likely to be the cheapest way.

However, if I were you I simply wouldn’t bother doing anything. I opened a Premier account a few years back and have never got around to investing anything with them at all. I have zero other HSBC products. I also planned to do the £100 thing, but nobody from HSBC has ever objected to the fact that I have failed to do so. I don’t think they’re really that strict any more. Worst case, they will simply contact you and advise you that you need to invest something anyway, they won’t just suddenly freeze or close your account.

• Sam G says:

Agree, it’s not like being Premier actually costs the bank any extra & I’m sure they are happy to count you in their reports as customers & have the potential in future to flog you something.

I do actually have a HSBC mortgage but my OH has had a Barclays Premier Banking account that hasn’t had salary credited for years or another product and nothing has happened to it.

• Memesweeper says:

I went for a cheap life insurance top up.

• Andrew Greig says:

I have HSBC Premier CC. I have a chunk of their reward points sitting in my account but before i convert them to Avios, i am waiting for a bonus points transfer offer. Does anyone know when this might happen?

• Nigel says:

Thanks for all the replies, I will just leave it for now and see if I get any sort of reminder from HSBC at the 6mnth point.

• KBuffett says:

Spend £500 get £50 back at Apple on my Amex Marriott. I haven’t been checking daily, so it may be old news.

• Sarah says:

Just appeared this morning – it’s on my platinum card.

• Youllnever says:

+1 on Gold.

• James says:

+1 BAPP

• Harry T says:

On gold and Marriott for me.

• Sam says:

Cheers for the heads up, current phone is wasting away! + 1 on BAPP.

• Jonathan says:

Is this offer only applicable to IPhone ?

• LS says:

Nooo. I was thinking of getting BAPP as has been 2 years. I assume if I applied now it would be too late for the apple offer?

• Harry T says:

Yes, new cards taken out after an offer appears do not receive the offer, usually.

• WaynedP says:

It expires 31/08/21 and limited to first 30,000 cardholders saving the offer (on both my BAPP & supp Plat).

Given my experience of getting decent flow of offers from time of first application, I think you would be extremely lucky to be able to benefit from this offer unless expiry is extended and/or take-up low.

• VerdantBacon says:

Offer expires right before new iPhone is released, a shame but not surprising I guess

• TGLoyalty says:

Buy a gift card.

• jack charlton says:

If the offer is on your Bonvoy card, then buying the gift card will also trigger the get 500 bonus points when you spend 500 points offer (just remember to activate that offer too).

• Andrew says:

And anyone wanting a mid-market handbag, Mulberry spend £300, get £50 is showing across my Plat and supps.

• Grant says:

For those thinking of using this for the iPhone 12, its worth bearing in mind that Apple’s price for the 64gb model is £799, whereas John Lewis are selling the same model for £679 and that also includes a 2 year guarantee.

• Bob says:

should credit with a gift card?

• Andrew says:

Should do. But note that the offer is online only and not instore according to the terms.

• Jimmy says:

Can’t you just use the giftcard instore? Am thinking for pre-purchasing pending the new iPhone in Sept

• BJ says:

Heading down the A1 (for a change) from Edinburgh to London today. Any advice on best service or truck stops to break the journey? Thanks.

• Harry T says:

LNER 😊

• BJ says:

Cancelled LNER to take the car. to make it easier to catch up with friends and family in the South East. Parking bill will likely be atrocious though.

• Harry T says:

Wave as you drive past! Hope you have a good trip.

• Vincent Teo says:

There’s a free code to use on the NCP app. FREE2 gives you a whole days parking for free at Ncp car parks. You have to leave by midnight on the day of arrival. It’s just saved me a fortune in Edinburgh and Liverpool. The castle terrace car park Is £32 per day! I had to open a new account every day which more than made up for the saving I made over 5 days. Also I had to move the car every night but street parking is free after 6.30pm.

• Dave1985 says:

You might be able to find cheaper parking with Just Park.

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

For me there’s some trips that are just too long to drive and this is one of them. I’d rather take LNER or a flight into LCY. London is so much easier without a car and if going outside of London I’d consider hiring a car (either a ‘proper’ car hire or something like Zipcar depending how long I needed it for). When I first moved to London many years ago I had to drive a van from Newcastle to London with all my stuff in it. It’s not a journey I’d like to repeat

• BJ says:

Normally ise train too. Just got to Stebenage and will eat someplace near here. Hungry now. It was quite painless apart from roadworks at Newcastle probably cost around 30 minutes. One quick stop north of Durham just to switch drivers.

• Scott says:

Don’t think any services on that route are great, not that there’s much anyway.
      There’s a Sainsburys at Team Valley in the Newcastle area, and another at Biggleswade that are useful for slightly cheaper prices on petrol, food etc. Pretty close to the A1, so no major diversions.

• BJ says:

Probably just be decided by convenience at right time. Thought I better ask though in event there was any hidden gems.

• Ben W says:

The Team Valley Sainsbury’s is just round the corner from the Angel of the North so you can do a quick spot of sightseeing as well as fill up the tank.

• Gruntfuttock says:

I headed down from Thirsk yesterday and Blyth services was half decent, avoid Peterborough Services unless you relish feeding time at the zoo. Can’t comment on the other ones as you can’t fit a coach in them 😁

• BJ says:

No coaches to worry about 🙂

• Gruntfuttock says:

As a hobby coach driver in my retirement my expectations of service areas are set fairly low haha! I’m just relieved to get in and out in one piece and not get knifed for complaining to the foreign HGV drivers for parking in the coach spaces. (light blue touch paper…..)

• Paul Pogba says:

I think you’re allowed to say that because it’s your “lived experience”, no evidence is required.

• Genghis says:

I normally stop at Blyth. There’s Greggs.

• Navara says:

Wetherby services. Load the Moto app for discounts

• Chrisasaurus says:

Wetherby is a good shout – avoid the bp garage as it has stainless steel toilets with no seat a la public loos in the 90s

For me services either have a pret or don’t have a pret and sadly til you reach south mimms there’s nowhere in the a1 that does. Wetherby is at least clean and newish though so that’s my suggestion

• KJT says:

Morrison’s at Boroughbridge , North Yorkshire is my regular stop off . Never too busy and has a nice cafe , fuel station and clean toilets .

• Andrew says:

Why bother stopping?

I do the return trip to Perthshire from Oxford once a month. On the way back, I rarely bother stopping. Essentially, once I’ve joined the Keir Roundabout at Sunny-D, it’s a clear non-stop run (I use the old M6 unless it’s peak weekday) until 5h20m later when I come off the M40 at J9.

When I drop a mate of at Doncaster Station (via A66 etc), It’s a far more tiresome journey so I do a quick wizz around Doncaster Outlet and grab a Greggs. Don’t waste time with the Cadbury shop though, it’s cheaper just going to the B&Ms

• Gruntfuttock says:

Blimey! Even us coach drivers have to stop, legally, after 4hrs 30 of non stop driving. BTW don’t get me started on South Mimms 😵

• Stuart Evans says:

Have done this twice over the summer. The George at Stamford if you fancy a decent meal. Avoid ‘Scots Corner’ – the most expensive gas I have seen for a long time

• BJ says:

Aha, will check out location etc. Thanks.

• BJ says:

Thanks all for the very useful info above.ostly noted for future as did more or less per Andrew today. Will eat now and do the last hour when busy times passes.

• R says:

AC Manchester City centre or Hampton by Hilton Manchester Northern Quarter?

I have spent a lot of time reading online reviews, but the ‘average’ Tripadvisor/Booking.com users are slightly different to HfP readers.

• John says:

The Hampton is new, but neither are going to be terribly exciting so just go by price or loyalty goals

• Bertster says:

The AC is clean, new and efficient. Decent location. Friendly staff. Reasonable tapas menu in the bar but no real beer for some reason – only lager.

• Ming the Merciless says:

AC has plastic mattress protectors. Hilton doesn’t.

• Dave says:

Renewed £50 off £200 Wheely offer on Amex – presumably it’s cumulative?

• Mart says:

Wonder what tui’s covid cover is like?
    Will find out today
    Daughters contracted the plague and put us all in jail for 10days was due to go Thursday.

• LS says:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you/she is fine.
      Worse than that, if anyone else catches it, it will reset the 10 day clock again…

• Rob says:

No, that is not true.

If A, B, C and D are in quarantine because A is ill and then, on day 8, B tests positive, only B gets their quarantine extended. Bizarrely, A, C and D are free to go on Day 10 even though they are living with an infected person.

• TGLoyalty says:

A is free to go if they no longer have symptoms.

C and D are free to go unless they developed symptoms. No idea what happens to the household if another 8 days later C tests positive. But by then the fully vaccinated rule will kick in and it may no longer matter for A and D

• Tracey says:

Ouch! Hope she isn’t suffering and the rest of you don’t catch it.
      Was daughter to young to be vaccinated?

• Rob says:

The vaccines, esp Astra, are pretty useless in terms of stopping you getting infected with Delta. Trust me on this one! You won’t get very ill, of course, and your risk of hospitalisation is virtually nil, but in terms of catching it you shouldn’t assume it makes a difference.

• Dave1985 says:

80%+ efficacy for Pfizer against symptomatic infection for delta is hardly “useless”. 67% for Astra is obvs lower but again hardly “useless”.

80%+ and 67% are a bit of a “difference” versus zero regardless of your own personal experience.

• Rob says:

You need to understand what 67% represents, especially in terms of multiple exposures. At one point two weeks ago there were six fully vaccinated people (all Astra, all 6+ weeks since 2nd shot, across three family groups who don’t know each other) we know who were positive at the same time.

The point I am making is that, if you are Astra vaccinated, my recommendation is that – if you have a holiday planned which requires a pre-departure test – you should be more careful in how you act in the 10 days before you take the test.

• TGLoyalty says:

• Dave1985 says:

“ Enjoy first freedom week of August Dave … why worry about silly things like this.”

Don’t worry TG Loyalty, I am! Hope you are too! Have a good week!

• Dave1985 says:

Sorry. I didn’t realise you had a sample size of 6 people. I take it all back

• Rob says:

Just sharing personal observations for the benefit of anyone who may be taking a pre-holiday test in the next few weeks. If you have no need to do any testing then you should, absolutely, live your life as usual if vaxxed.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Near useless in the fact you can still get the virus, especially variants etc. Helpful because the vaccine will stop you ending up in hospital or dead, unless there is a *major* mutation increasing the mortality rate

• Dave1985 says:

“ Near useless in the fact you can still get the virus, especially variants etc”

Even if it was 99% effective you could still get the virus. It wouldn’t make it “useless” or even close.

• LS says:

Remember the aim of the vaccines was to prevent serious disease. Which they are doing well. They are also helping to prevent spread by stopping some symptomatic illness, but certainly not all as you say.

In fact, I do wonder if they actually are helping to increase spread. If you catch it without a vaccine, you are more likely to by symptomatic and therfore isolate. If I get it and am asymptomatic (as I would be far more likely to be if vaccinated) I would not get a test as no symptoms. So I am more likely to just carry on, and ?spread it.

• Lady London says:

I am sick of old people waving their walking sticks at me after breathing all over me then saying “I’m vaccinated” as their excuse for the still remaining risk of transmission they bring. It’s such ignorance. Some of them even seem to think the vaccine has made then immortal 🙂

• Stephan says:

Probably also depends on your age group. Most ppl 40+ will know more AZ cases and those below will know ppl with pfizer cases.

• Vincent Teo says:

There are free chocolate bars at Roadchef!

Set up an account (or as many as you like!) at roadchef.com/summer
    The mains blurb says this:-
    Simply enter your details here to receive a voucher for a Snickers Duo or Mars Duo chocolate bar*

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Bet it’s whilst stocks last, meaning they probably haven’t brought any extra and you’ll struggle to get one

• Vincent Teo says:

Lol. We’ve collected loads. Plenty of stock in the ones we’ve stopped at. We’ve driven 1500miles in the past 8 days from Bournemouth to Loch Ness.