Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 2nd August

Comments (431)

• Nick B says:

Booked a flight with LATAM for an internal trip in Chile through Expedia. LATAM have cancelled the flight and there are no alternatives. The airline says I can claim a refund through Expedia however, Expedia will only offer a voucher. This voucher is only valid for LATAM, and I am unlikely to be able to use them in the near future. Are Expedia right to refuse a refund?

• meta says:

S75 via credit card. I successfully claimed and got back Expedia booked TAP flight last year, but it took about 3 months.

• meta says:

TAP also said to Expedia to issue a full refund, but Expedia initially said ok, then issued a voucher and reneged.

• Lady London says:

s75 will also give you cost of replacement ticket even higher.

• Aaron C says:

I had to get a chargeback via AMEX for some LATAM and also Air France flights back in 2020. You just need proof the flights were cancelled.

• Mikeact says:

@Nick b. You’ve been around for years, why on earth didn’t you book direct?

• Nick B says:

Hi there. Every time I tried to book direct with LATAM, I could not get past the payment page. This appears to be a long standing problem, and I had to use Expedia in the end to make a booking.

• Vinz says:

Hi all, do you know how long does it take now to transfer avios to nectar? Initiated a transfer on 30/7, and immediately debited but no babe points yet… I thought it would be instant?

• ready to fly says:

Question regarding transferring in Amsterdam Schiphol. Currently UK travellers are not allowed entry into Netherlands for non essential purposes, but i understand transfer passengers at Schiphol who do not leave the airport are allowed to travel. But would this be allowed if it is not a thru ticket. ie arrive London to Amsterdam on 1 ticket and depart same day from Amsterdam on another ticket? I am concerned I wont be allowed to board the LON – AMS leg…

• TGLoyalty says:

Do you have to leave airside to collect luggage?

• Sam G says:

Where are you transferring to? You cannot transit Schiphol to any Schengen country

Otherwise this is going to be YMMV on the day IMO and I’d have a Plan B to execute. If you were flying KLM I’d feel a bit more hopeful

• meta says:

Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen is not a problem. My colleague did it two days ago. You do need a PCR test though.

• Sam G says:

On separate tickets though? Airline A may take the position that they won’t carry you to AMS as that isn’t allowed. Depends if they’re happy to take the proof of the second leg. I suspect KLM and maybe BA would be OK about this, Easyjet probably not.

• ready to fly says:

Thanks all. Yes. non schengen to non schengen transfer… but clearly sounds like it might be too risky …

• meta says:

KLM is fine with a separate ticket, but I would contact them to verify.

• Kyle says:

Not true. Recently flew LCY-AMS-DUS without any issue. This was on a same ticket though.

• meta says:

Define recently. Rules changed 1 July. Also rules changed again on 27 July.

• Sam G says:

Not sure when it changed but Netherlands currently considers UK a “very high risk” area and entry (and therefore transit to Schengen) is not permitted even if vaccinated. So it shouldn’t be possible to fly to Germany via AMS currently

• meta says:

It’s only fine to do non-Schengen to Schengen if you have an EU passport otherwise not.

• Stephan says:

Booked day 2 expresstest on return this morning. doesn’t feel so express with long queues. Will revert back to home tests.

• TGLoyalty says:

Genuinely. Why bother? Your side of this contract is to order said test and take it whenever it arrives why pay more for a quick service?

You are free to leave your house regardless of day 2 test.

• Ben W says:

My day two test picked up the fact I had (at the time) asymptomatic Covid despite being double vacced. I had been planning on going to see my elderly mother so I was glad I had a timely result.

• Babyg says:

but you can do the free NHS test anytime if you need and get results in 30mins. – much quicker than waiting for the day2 results …. (this is not to say you don’t need to do the official 2 day test)

• Peter says:

The lateral flow tests have a really high false-positive rate though! My friend did one and had a very faint line. He did 5 more straight away, all were negative. The next day he did a PCR test, and in the evening his symptoms started – he was actually positive.

• Peter says:

*very high false-negative rate.
            They are very accurate if they show you are positive.
            So all it says is if you test negative you might or might not have it, if you says positive you definitely got it.

• Ben W says:

I did NHS lateral flows on the Saturday, Sunday and Monday- all were negative. I did my day 2 PCR test on the Sunday and on the Monday evening my positive result came in.

• Stephan says:

Fair enough. First time flying with the rules and saw the review on HFP and decided to spend extra £20 and do less research. Will try the other options suggested next time.

• meta says:

My day 2 test results with Expert Medicals still haven’t arrived. 8 days now. Even if I had covid, I would soon no longer need to isolate.

• bafan says:

Interesting. I booked with Expert Medicals on Saturday morning for a flight on Saturday night and DPD already have my package.

• GRIMZ says:

Looking for some advice on what is best on the following:

I have a flight booked to Phoenix in September on a 241 BA voucher which is likely to be cancelled (I have already been downgraded from 1st class but haven’t accepted). I don’t want to go now until November 2022 which will be outside the 12months rebooking window. If I ask to be rebooked for November 2021 and that gets cancelled can I then ask to be rebooked for November 2022? The other issue I have is that my voucher expires in November 2021.

• Jonathan says:

That would work under current policy. BA may change this with no notice however & then you’d be left with the MCOL/CEDR battle for EU261 rights. Probably worth it if your original ticket is very cheap.

If you want a November cancellation then I’d be trying to book a connecting itinerary eg. via JFK, ORD or LAX. Doubles your chances of 1 leg going down. I think BA are also being a bit more conservative with winter schedules so may only be selling flights to NA that they are confident will run regardless due to freight.

• GaryE says:

Have used the Hilton offer £50 off £200 spend – had the credit to my account and settled my statement (credit was about 2 weeks ago, and bill was paid a couple of days ago). The offer is still on my saved offers – we are staying at a Hilton hotel next week – will pay with my Amex card but anyone had any experience of this offer working twice on the same card?

• Andrew says:

Never experienced any Amex offers paying out twice on the same card under the same offer period, so I wouldn’t expect that to work, but you never know. This is an example of when having supplementary cards on your account pays off, as this offer was very widely available and so if you had a supp you could comfortably use it twice by paying with that card.

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

Should only pay out once. In 2019 I had a contract in Bournemouth so was staying in the Hilton there most weeks and despite qualifying for it many times over it only paid out once

• BuildBackBetter says:

Some offers stay on ‘saved’ list until maturity date, doesnt mean they’ll work again!

• Tom says:

Would appreciate some advice from HFP.

Have BA PP, was holding spend at £9900 until 01 Sep when 241 voucher changes. An Apple Pay bug charged the card (despite me specifying a different card) and triggered the voucher.

AMEX are now claiming 1) once the BA voucher is issued it cannot be de-issued and 2) I will still get all the benefits in terms of availability that supposedly come on 01 Sep with the existing voucher that has just been issued.

Can anyone confirm or deny either of these claims?

• TGLoyalty says:

1) is true

2) it’s not meant to. However, how can anyone confirm until 1st September.

• Tom says:

Thanks TG. So assuming I might as well downgrade to the free card and just hope for the best? I was fairly assertive over the phone but rep was adamant I would still have access to the larger pool of CW availability.

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

Can you explain what the Apple Pay bug is? I’m not aware of any

• Tom says:

Removed my BA PP card from Apple Pay account leaving my Vitality AMEX. Used the Vitality AMEX with correct card number and graphic displaying at checkout pages yet it still charged the BA PP AMEX. I thought it might have been me so did another test transaction on Saturday and the same thing happened yet again.

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

That’s not good. I’m not sure how you’d report the issue to Apple so I hope Amex looks at it and if necessary reports it to Apple. Have you managed since to successfully pay on the Vitality Amex?

• Tom says:

No I took it off and added my VA card which appears to be working fine.

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

For future reference it would be better to freeze your BAPP in the Amex app to avoid this sort of issue. It doesn’t stop any subscription type payments already set up but it would prevent this Apple Pay issue you describe.

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

The only other downside to ‘freezing’ is that you need to renew it every 7 days which is a PITA but better than accidentally triggering a voucher before you want to…

• Sam G says:

my OH managed to evade my wallet card swapping at the weekend by using his frozen Amex via Google pay, so I’m not sure if it does block it (because it has a different card number ?)

• SteveKicks says:

Chronomics £10 test seems to not be available anymore, does anyone have any other suggestions for cheap pre departure testing?

(Thinking about flying last minute to Iceland to see the Volcano)

• meta says:

Chronomics still available if flying on BA, just not at £10, but £22 and a bit. Prenetics is the cheapest next take with you at £26.

• TGLoyalty says:

Is it still not on of the cheapest at £28?

Project screen with virgin code is £26 I think.

Qurad with BA code £35

• meta says:

Chronomics is still the cheapest, but you need to tie it to BA booking. They ask for BA PNR before you can purchase it and they send it only a few days before the flight. I am fighting with them at the moment as they are sending it to my home address while I am already away! Their stupid system that doesn’t recognise outbound flight. Lucikly I only ordered one of the two needed. So I’d avoid Chronomics until they sort themselves out.

• Harry T says:

I’m glad I ordered a few £10 tests before the price went up and they started asking for PNR!

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

My mum went to Iceland once and never told me about a volcano.