Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 2nd August

Comments (431)

• Sterckxhof says:

Just had a flight cancellation by BA and had to move it to Friday 28 Aug BA0860. On checking seat booking availability (only out of interest – we will not book) we saw that the Club cabin is huge – (because it is Bank Hol weekend?) and as far back and including the exit rows which are £47 per seat as against £28 for all seats forward of this. Is including the exit rows in Club new?

• Lumma says:

I’ve been on flights before where Club Europe includes the exit row, in my experience people don’t choose to sit there, I was the only person who picked to sit there on my last flight like this. You do get last choice of food and there’s no table on the middle seat however.

• Sam G says:

12 rows on a A320 & 14 rows on an A321 is the max I believe, very common on flights to Canaries / Mykonos etc but surprising on a city route. But I think plenty will opt for it currently, middle seat free seems a bit more “COVID secure” and a treat after not travelling for so long

• Tim says:

12 and 14 seems correct, seats change to standard backs afterwards

• ChrisC says:

The size of the club Europe cabin can be changed just by moving the curtain forward or back – up to the maximum row as already mentioned – depending on sales.

• Babyg says:

CE back to row 13/14 seems to be the norm recently. They seem to fill up most of CE on the flights ive been on to FARO and back recently (annoyingly as i never book CE and usually take the exit row in Economy). They have also move PAX to the back of the plane to help balance out the aircraft due to more people in CE vs Economy.

• Blair says:

Time CE meal pre-order was introduced. The cabins are becoming so large that anyone past row 3 is being force fed the dodgy remaining ‘option’

• Babyg says:

if there are 14 rows booked, you would think they should make it to row 6/7ish before running out of the primary choice, but year pre selection would be great… personally i never find CE worth it, you can get better food BYO, and there is plenty of space down the back especially with BA automatically blocking adjacent seats for silver/gold members etc…

• Mark says:

In San Sebastián. Very crowded! Seems like lots of domestic Spanish tourists.

• Dave1985 says:

Great place! Hope you enjoy your trip!

See, it is possible to go on holiday and enjoy yourself!

• Andrew says:

When did Mark say he was enjoying himself?

• Dave1985 says:

I’ve been to San Sebastián. It’s impossible to not enjoy yourself! Great place!

• Andrew says:

• Dave1985 says:

“ Although the wearing of masks in all indoor settings probably detracts from the enjoyment somewhat.”

Depends whether he’s a glass half full or a glass half full person! No point being “woe is me” on holiday!

• Andy says:

Data point on Prenetics, as someone mentioned having issues with getting the tests during the weekend. Ordered my suitcase / take with me test on Saturday and it arrived this morning, so no issues with logistics on my end fortunately

• aDifferentSimon says:

reward flight booking advice for a family of 4…
    I have a BA FTV with a 2for1 (to force the expiry date) and another 2for1 in my baec account. I fancy a family holiday to the US next summer holidays. Is the best policy to phone and book when the outbound becomes available, get them to use the FTV and the new 2 for 1? Then, when the inbound appears, phone again to get them to add the second? Does this all work OK with the taxes and charges? Are the phone booking lines clued up to handle FTVs with 2for1s?
    Thanks all.

• Babyg says:

Wondering if there are any HFPs staying at the Sheraton over the next month (or have stayed recently) on the Grand Suite special pricing deal that was done a few months back. I have noted that the Grand Suite is now bookable again (@2k per night), so i am wondering if the Sheraton is downgrading people from the Grand Suite to lesser Grand Park View Suite (£700 per night), i did read one HFP was downgraded a few weeks back, and wondering if this is what we should expect for future bookings.

• meta says:

Is it available for booking on your stay dates? It isn’t available for booking on my dates yet. I have a stay in September.

• Memesweeper says:

I wasn’t downgraded. However Park View is great and very similar. The staff have been wonderful and you should not expect a problem. If the room is unavailable last minute and the management claim a technical issue with the room… it probably is. I had three room moves last week due to clapped out air con (not at the Sheraton).

• Babyg says:

No, its not available on my bookings which are in December and one next year, but i was just surprised to see the Grand Suite available on most weekends in August, i thought HFPers booked out all the weekends 🙂 I agree with the comments RE staff, my stay in the Grand Suite the staff were amazing and then was no mentioned of the price paid or any quibbles over the entitlements associated with the room – in fact the lounge was closed, due to low occupancy – so we had a bottle of vino and nibbles sent to our room instead . Was just curious.. Cheers all.

• Blair says:

I’ve found them absolutely great over the past year at unprompted suite upgrades. On the one occasion I was shown to a Club Room I rang downstairs and they immediately apologised and said of course there was a suite available. Even below Grand Suite there are some wonderful rooms.

• Mark says:

In terms of Amber Day 2 test, is Randox with a code still cheapest?

Nervously watching cases in Jamaica climb re. It’s Amber list status.. 🙁

• Anna says:

+1 – ours all arrived very promptly.

Also a bit nervous – although if Spain were to go on the red list I don’t know where they think they would find enough hotel rooms for the people who couldn’t get back in time, apparently there are 1 million Brits here atm!

• stevenhp1987 says:

That’s why they never will go Red List.

“Amber+” at the worst, which is a joke considering Spain’s vaccination rate.

If the vaccines work, Spain should be green!

• Cats are best says:

Just need everyone to hold their nerve, no way they can put tens of thousands of people into nonsensical incarceration.

• Ls says:

Once it is on the red list, it will not be tens of thousands of people. Everyone will cancel future travel. Which is the intention

• TGLoyalty says:

But what about the 100,000’s out there already!

• ChrisBCN says:

Thanks for the link TGLoyalty

• TGLoyalty says:

NP. Will order mine for a trip this weekend soon.

I don’t really care if 1) it turns up and 2) take 5-8 days

• Grant says:

Does anyone have any experience with Europcar status matching? Status matcher suggests its doable from Sixt and / or Hertz which is what I am trying, but the CS agent I am corresponding with is insisting I need 2 prior rentals. I am emailing [email protected]

Thanks

• NP says:

Datapoint on Virgin Atlantic Redemption. Redeemed 4 tickets with two companion vouchers earlier today for a Barbados booking. UC there and Premium return. c.40min hold on the phone but once through was easy to book, slightly annoyed with 4 different booking references but apparently, that’s the only way. Now just need to book 3 lots of covid tests…

• John says:

I did this last week for 2 people and was told I needed to have a booking reference each !
      You did well with only a 40 minute hold.

• Babyg says:

Weird, i have a single booking reference, containing 3 people to Barbados (upper both directions), using 2 vouchers + miles + taxes-etc… interestingly I’m a350 out, 787-9 back!