Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 3rd August

Comments (315)

• r* says:

Have virgin given up responding to whatsapp? 28 hours and counting lol 🙂

• Crafty says:

Send again

• Amy carpenter says:

I contacted them on WA two weeks ago. After three days they responded at 3am while I was asleep by asking me a question. When I failed to answer after an hour or so they send a message saying they were closing the communication due to my lack of response!

• Mel T says:

I was trying to cancel a reward flight – it took 3 days to get a reply, I replied instantly then nothing again for 3 days. Got a second reply and as I didnt reply within 10 minutes ( I was at work and don’t have my phone on me) they ended the chat. Ended up sending a twitter message at around 9pm in the evening asking politely if there was any other way to contact them and the person on Twitter sorted it out for me. It took about an hour or so but they were very helpful.

• Sarah says:

I have received the 25000 Avios from my Barclay Premier account this morning

• YC says:

Marriott promo has come through for me: 22,500points over 3 stays. Despite having loads of tentative bookings. Now just need an Amex offer to come along…

• E says:

Disappointed – nothing on my Marriott promos…

• Gtellez says:

For me stay twice get 2 night certificates up to 35k points each. My partner 22.5k points after 2 stays. Really solid promotions.

• Andrew says:

I don’t think we’ll be seeing an Amex offer this summer – that ship has sailed. Just that pretty underwhelming Avios one on the BA cards.

• Harry T says:

I do wonder how they select people for these promos and how they decide what offers to give. I’ve never had a personal promo, whether I stay multiple times per month or don’t stay for six plus months.

• Gtellez says:

I don’t know neither, at the beginning of the year Marriott was offering target promos and I didn’t receive one (and neither anyone else in my family out of 4 accounts that I manage). At that moment I didn’t have any booking. However now I had 3 different (and quite expensive) bookings for a total of 17 nights, and had got a really good offer being titanium. My partner (platinum) had only one booking of one cheap night and got a pretty decent offer but not as good as mine. The other two accounts I managed (gold members due to Amex platinum) got nothing and don’t have bookings now. So, I guess that having status and bookings made you more likely to receive an offer, although I thought that was the opposite (in order to attract new business). For me this offer is a gift, since I don’t have to make any additional nights to get the bonus nights.

• Andy says:

Annoying as I have an upcoming trip that I could change to Marriott if they offered a good promo! But unless they send me one I’ll stick to the IHG redemption I’ve made.

• E says:

Not sure it’s status and bookings. I’m Titanium and I have 7 bookings but no promotion.

• Dave says:

I had the recent offer of up to 2 x stays, up to 2 x 35k certificates – very generous!

Re: offer targeting – this is my Gold account where I did some stays last year and no stays this year. My other two family accounts (one silver, one blue) with no recent stays did not get an offer at all.

• Andy says:

I got a “double points on weekend stays” personal promo despite Titanium status, so not a very strong showing from them. But then again I don’t have anything booked for the next 6 months so I guess they didn’t want to encourage me to send some business their way…

• Tariq says:

Same, but I have quite a few future stays including a quite expensive one which includes weekend nights.

Would still rather than free night certificate promo tho!

• Darko says:

So BA didn’t extend the contract for Zagreb Primeclass lounge. If you are a business class passenger, there is no lounge in capital of Croatia, even though the lounge is there and it’s open. I heard the same for Geneva. Any other examples?
    After that experience in Zagreb, I find business class ticket poor value for money: no fast track security in Heathrow, no priority boarding on flight and no lounge on return.

• Ls says:

Complain. They’ll give you some avios

• Doug M says:

I’d guess they won’t.

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

Never received any points and I always submit a complaint if I’m flying from an airport where BA has cancelled lounge access or in the case of Newcastle closed their own lounge permanently. If you value the lounges it’s worth doing this anyway otherwise they may think nobody cares about them

• Louie says:

Malta according to yesterday’s thread. But apparently it’s OK, times are hard and BA can’t afford to pay for lounges.

• John says:

BA business class is always poor value for money unless you need tier points

• JDB says:

People’s ‘value’ perceptions are very different. I prefer Club Europe and find it an overall good value experience. Outstation lounges for BA across Europe have never been much good, so won’t be greatly missed. The value or otherwise of CE may be an element of the decision re LGW as many of those routes have much better club load factors / revenue from LHR than expected, only partly covid related. P.S. if you want super poor value, try the branded champagnes or modern branded jewellery; they really take the biscuit.

• Doug M says:

I think there are a few that have lost lounge access, I’d assume BA hanging onto cash. Plenty of very cheap CE tickets around. It’s a choice, if CE doesn’t offer enough over ET then people will stop buying. If BA are not better or more convenient people will fly other airlines.
      Malpensa, Dublin, Warsaw, Dubrovnik and Malta were among others mentioned with no lounge access, Jersey apparently became available again.

• C says:

Dublin is a particularly odd one, considering IAG own EI.

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

They use a different terminal at DUB

• Blair says:

DUB terminals are linked airside. T2 lounges are along a corridor that eventually reaches T1 security area airside.

• Doug M says:

I think at present Dublin is one or two flights a day, so……

• Lady London says:

BA has stopped Malpensa lounge? That’s a pity as the Leonardo lounge there was very good particularly compared with the other lounges.

• PaulW says:

You can add Iceland kef to the list

• Karl says:

Add Milan and Reykjavik to that list.
      If you’ve paid £600 in August for a business class flight to Malta would it be unreasonable to expect lounge access? Most of these lounges will be externally operated so BA will be paying on a per passenger basis rather than having big infrastructure overheads. Most of the other airlines sharing the lounges allow their passengers to use them. Another example of excessive stinginess from the world’s favourite airline.

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

Lufthansa group cancelled their external lounge contracts well before BA did. I don’t know if they’ve reintroduced access yet but it’s not just BA who tried this.

What’s odd is Lufthansa negotiate lounge access on a group level so I can’t access the lounge when flying Austrian, but IAG do it on an airline level so in Bologna I can access with Iberia but not BA

• JDB says:

In smaller places like Malta, one can schedule getting to the airport more accurately, so hopefully not hanging around too long in a lounge over crowded for certain departures, offering nasty wine (and being ‘free’ makes it no better) and a packet of crackers. If you do need to kill time and can afford a £600 ticket, you can afford a better drink/food in more comfortable surroundings in the airport.

• Mikeact says:

Someone got their knickers in a twist re Malta in yesterday’s comments .

• AJA says:

I think you’ve got that the wrong way around. If you are paying BA £600 to sit at the front of the plane you should be rewarded with comfortable facilities on the ground. Would you be quite so dismissive if BA got rid of the business class check in and instead spread the entire plane load equally across 3 desks? Overall check in would be shorter so less time needed at the airport.

• JDB says:

@ AJA I think you missed my point, or perhaps I wasn’t clear. Long before covid, some of the lounges were so poor, essentially large cupboards, (often crowded) with some cheap drinks that they weren’t worth having and BA was not alone in these poor lounges in smaller airports. Not queuing for check-in I see as important, but lounges are a frippery outside major airports.

• Lady London says:

If they had any class, where they don’t have a lounge or particularly where they’ve withdrawn it, BA should hand out a 20 Euro voucher for C/J passengers and 8 Euros for status passengers

• Anna says:

At GCM you get a voucher for $15 and you have Subway and another snack bar to spend it in! One of the reasons I don’t think CW is worth it on that route.

• Darko says:

Zagreb airport has just one lounge, Primeclass. I know what to expect and I was there many times up to now. Lounge was not closed due to covid – It was open but since BA did not sign/extended/renegotiated the contract they were not admitting any BA passengers. I think that is different to handing boxed sandwich lunch in business class in the peak of the pandemic when it was unknown how the covid is exactly transmitted. While that looked cheap, I understand why it was done. This is just cost cutting exercise from what I see.

• Lady London says:

TBH BA has not generally reliably provided lounges at outstations longstandingly pre-Covid. And in year or three before Covid, access to quite a few previously provided lounges at European outstations was no longer being provided by BA.

• SteveJ says:

Solihull to Seagulls rolling 300/500/700 limits. For those in the know, this only works with fronted or metal bendy right? I tried a small trial payment with free bendy which failed.

• Tazzy says:

I’ve a 241 booking for LA on 11th September. It’s the 11.40am flight. Still showing as going. What is likelihood of this being cancelled, especially now with US allowed in? I’m debating should I just cancel or hold out?

• Louise K says:

I’m also booked but for later in the month. I’m holding out for another few weeks. Nothing to lose with this approach.

• ChrisBCN says:

You’ve got a few more weeks before you need to cancel, so wait. Unless you want the 241 for something else…

• Nicky says:

I am on a 2-4-1 to Orlando on 11th September….just holding out at the moment…..

• JSemity says:

Likewise, VS91 UC here 🙂 holding for now, still believe there’s a chance US will open up in a few weeks.

• Dave1985 says:

Is it still the case that flights in America tend to be cheaper on September 11th? (This might be one of those urban myths!)

• Andrew says:

You won’t be going but the flight might, but as the others say, unless you want to book something else right now, then hold out, they might trim the schedule and cancel that particular flight.

• Nicky says:

So even if the flight is going but I cannot get into the country, what happens then because obviously I cannot travel…do they give a FTV or do I leave it to a couple of weeks before and then ‘cancel’ and move my booking, as that would seem a bit unfair me having to pay £35 for a self cancellation which I cannot do anything about. Can any HPF’ers clarify please?

• Rob says:

As you say … wait to the last minute in case the flight is cancelled or retimed and if not bite the bullet.

• Andrew says:

Yes that’s right, it’s not BA’s problem that your passport won’t allow you entry to the country you’ve booked a flight to. So it’s the usual FTV or cancellation fee if you don’t fly and the flight goes as scheduled.

• JohnT says:

Query please – our US flight late Sept is a rearrangement from May cancellation (1/2 Avios 241). Can I ask to move it again due to new 1yr rule or do I need to wait for a canx by BA?

• Mark says:

Should I put Curve or a Monzo for the VAT refund I’m getting in Europe? Guessing not a credit card…

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

What’s Curve? If you mean bendy then why would you want to put a refund through that? The worst that can happen is the refund goes on an underlying card which earns points and you lose points because of it. Stick it on pinky so it goes direct to a bank account.

• BuildBackBetter says:

Hyatt hotels – has anyone made a pre-payment through phone or email?
    Looking to take advantage of the Amex offer as the stay will be just after the offer expiry.

• Grant H says:

Yes, email the hotel directly and fill in a pre auth form.

• The Hunter says:

We’ve just got back from The Churchill, using that offer. Booked the 2 night stay through Emyr and he arranged for the hotel to charge each night separately, so we could use 2 different cards with offer saved on each (there was also a discount for booking a 2 night stay, so they wouldn’t normally have done that).