Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 3rd August

Comments (315)

• LS says:

Charge must be in GBP, or you wont get any credit.

• TGLoyalty says:

That term means nothing

You need to spend over £200 inc the fx fee as it’s all posted as one transaction

• John says:

Well it wouldn’t matter as it’s cumulative

• TGLoyalty says:

What wouldn’t matter? the OP wants to spend £200. in 1 stay.

Anyway to be safe just buy a round of cocktails at the bar as charge it to the room.

• TGLoyalty says:

Amex don’t allow DCC so it’s always local currency.

• John says:

All charges on UK amexes are in gbp

• rams1981 says:

anyone ever booked Mr & Mrs Smith on IHG using points? Keep getting an error online and called up IHG who get same error. Is there a more appropriate number to call than the one listed online?

• Genghis says:

Yep. Booked a few with no problems. Some don’t seem to price up properly as it says there’s reward availability but then you click through to actually make the booking and it disappears. No idea how to get it resolved.

• Grant says:

I received a £10 Uber Eats voucher as a ‘thank you’ for getting my car serviced. Absolutely no use to me so first come first served…

• Ryanfozzie says:

As an FYI, this has been claimed by someone. Very generous from the poster!

• bafan says:

Damn, people are so f*cking rude. Not even a thank you.

• Ryanfozzie says:

That’s why I made that comment – how rude can you be to not even say thanks!

• Boi says:

I know the revolutionaries get bad reviews here (as a bank, not MS). I just thought I should share my positive experience. Over the course of July I transferred £100K with them. This means I got good, near perfect rate as I set the rates in advance. This is not possible with other forex, and paid no fees (well I paid CAD $18 as I made 2 extra transfers more than my allowable 3 free international transfers). The money also reached my Canada account within a day.

Loads of Solihull, beardy and HH points on top as I was mainly topping up with Solihull repaid with beardy/HH.

Ps, I went over to chat to tell them I will be doing multiple high value transfers.

• Memesweeper says:

Good news, thanks for sharing

• Anuj says:

How much did you top up each time? I’m very surprised you got away with it with no trouble tbh (the topping up almost £100k aspect, not the transferring).

• Boi says:

With Solihull max I was doing was £5k each time, I used mine and hubby’s. And I was exchanging £20K each time.

As I said I contacted them via chat- once at the beginning and midway through. A few months ago I had sent proof of funds. So they knew I had more than what I was transferring in savings. I don’t know if that helped.

• Anuj says:

Ah yeah that proof of funds must be why you seem to have had no issues.

• Richie says:

Are there any points earning opportunities when charging your ev away from home?

• Sina says:

if you have a BMW, you can sign up for BMW Points in the My BMW app.

• Aston100 says:

I have flights to New York at Christmas.
    Should I think about a plan B, or is there any genuine indication the USA will be allowing tourists from the UK by then?

Thanks

• Paul says:

Canada perhaps…

• Ja says:

Is this certain that Canada is going to open around the start of September or is it just a maybe.

• Blenz101 says:

There is no indication, just speculation. Any plan B could easily need a plan C by Christmas.

• ChrisBCN says:

Nobody knows, and anybody commenting would only be guessing. I would make a plan B which could be cancelled for no/minimal cancellation fee

• James says:

There’s not been a single confirmed indication yet, I’m due to go November and definitely thinking of plan B, as others have said Canada is a decent shout

• Andy says:

Etihad guest question – I had some miles from a partner flight finally credit to my account. Shouldn’t this reset the expiry date of the miles by 18 months? Still showing me that the biggest chunk of the miles is set to expire 2 years from the date in which they were earned

• Rob says:

That’s my understanding, yes, unless there is some weird rule about your miles need to come from.

• Andy says:

Have asked and will report back – perhaps takes a few days for the expiry to update

• FloriGuy says:

I am looking to purchase IHG points via the offer to top-up some orphan points for a stay next week. How long do the points take to show after purchase?

• Ja says:

Mine took about 2 minutes

• ChrisC says:

Usually instant.

But check the cost of buying them outright against the cost of a points plus cash booking (where you are effectivly buying points anyway but it’s a different rate)