Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 3rd August

Comments (315)

• LessCleverAndrew says:

BA just cancelled my October flight to Cagliari, Sardinia – I was due to fly to in the 1/2 term (23 – 30 October). A quick google flights search suggests that all BA flights to Sardinia have been cancelled for the rest of the year and into next. No easyjet options either. I read somewhere that lots of airlines were starting to ditch flights to Italy.

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

I’m afraid it’s true. Bologna has had most flights this year cancelled so far. Some ran in July but didn’t last long.
      If you still want to go ask them to route you on Iberia is they fly that route from Madrid. That’s helping me with tier points as I’m mostly booked in Club Europe.
      Despite both being IAG you are most likely to have to claim for the missing points on Iberia. Most flights from Heathrow to Madrid are currently operated by widebodies (A330 or A350) which means lie flat beds in business plus TV and movies in both classes. If you want this check the aircraft operating each flight and choose ones operated by the widebody aircraft

• PerkyPat says:

We are due to fly to Sicily with KLM on 2 September. Anyone read whether the 5 day thing will be extended? We have a replacement holiday lined up, but would prefer Sicily.

• Andy says:

You won’t know for a while most likely – they announced the extension of the 5 day quarantine to August only a couple of days before the previous rule were due to expire. So I’d be surprised if they decide anything for September before the last 10 days of August

• Sam G says:

Also keep an eye on Netherlands restrictions, currently you can’t connect to Schengen countries via Schiphol (on a UK passport) as NL isn’t allowing Brits in

• John Caribbean says:

I just had Olbia cancelled for September.

If I book another BA holiday can I apply evouchers to it, or is that flight only bookings

• pauldb says:

If you’re not 100% set on Sardinia, BA will reroute you within 300 miles. Only options I can see though are Naples or Menorca.

• John Caribbean says:

Thanks Paul. I think with the holiday including car it might screw up switching.
        Menorca wasn’t on my original search but flights look cheap for a new booking so I’ll add that to my options.
        Cheers

• Ziad says:

BA just cancelled our flights to Brindisi from Heathrow in September. Looks like same thing is happening here too.

• Toby says:

BA just cancelled our flight to Crete for October. We’re never going to leave the UK!

• Maximus says:

What’s the best of way stopping my Hilton stash from expiring? Transfer from Virgin? What’s the minimum transfer I’d need to make?

• The Savage Squirrel says:

10k from Virgin
      If you’re just looking to stop expiry rather than get more points then the Amex minimum transfer to Hilton is only 200 MR I think.

• QwertyKnowsBest says:

Buy some points in 100% extra offer

• Sara says:

Hi, does anyone known whether domestic feeder flights still free when booking long haul Business or First redemption flights?

• Sididdly says:

Following on from the Heathrow Express article about BA using Airprtr. I got off the tube last week and was met by the Airprtr team who asked if we wanted to use this service. We did and it was great. We had already checked in and uploaded Covid docs, etc and this meant that we could go straight through security. From getting off the tube to getting a bacon sandwich in the lounge took 15 minutes!

• ChrisBCN says:

How much time do you think you saved vs going to regular bag drop?

• Sididdly says:

I didn’t have to queue or go to a bag drop so however long that takes I saved. My bag was checked in 2 minutes after stepping off the tube. It costs nothing and I liked it. Not sure what is not to like about it to be honest.

• Richie says:

It seems Portugal is not recognising the Indian made AZ vaccine https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/portugal-refusing-recognise-indian-astrazeneca-24674050.amp

• Gary says:

What’s the most economical day “2” test these days?

• Ed says:

Does anyone know if in practice you can combine 2 x 241 vouchers from ba blue card to enable a family of 4 to travel? Rules seem to limit this to BAPP earned vouchers but wondering in the world of extended validity vouchers and FTV’s whether anyone has tried/succeeded?

• Reney says:

Always thought the two vouchers were the same except for the Blue one has one year validity. Therefore it is difficult for people to have 2 of them at the same time. By the time you earnt the second one your first one probably expired assuming uniform distribution of spending.

• pauldb says:

Has been confirmed that the basic vouchers don’t work 4-4-2, even though if surprised the IT is sophisticated enough. I don’t see how extension would change that, and neither FTV since names are fixed.

• Ed says:

Thanks both

• Harry T says:

Just let my IC Ambassador status lapse (1/8/21) and one day later they’ve sent me an email offering me 15,000 points if I renew by end of the month. If anyone is in a similar position, it might be worth checking your inbox!