Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Sunday 8th August

Comments (346)

• OP says:

Does anybody have a still working 70k Amex Plat referral link to hand? (If this is still running?)

• Tony says:

Head a great stay at the Intercontinental Park Lane last night, using a IHG credit card free night voucher. My wife and I checked in, went to our room (upgraded, which was unexpected), got changed then headed out. As we walked out the main door, the concierge held the door open for us, and wished us a good night, calling us by our surname. Which was great – but how did he know our names? It was a small thing, but we spent the whole taxi journey trying to figure out what voodoo magic he pulled to know who we were and what our names were. The best we could come up with was he clocked us checking in, then went to the desk to find out our names, memorising our faces. Very slick, and I guess that’s what makes a good doorman?

• Blair says:

Did you get one of the refurbished rooms (Mayfair?)? I am in Dubai at present similar situation: all the staff keep calling me Mr (firstname) as if its my surname because of how the front desk filled out my lounge access card. I am quite enjoying it, as I don’t like overly fawning formality.

• Tony says:

Hmm. Not sure. The room was at the north edge of the property on the fifth floor, with views directly looking up Park Lane. I’ve stayed a few times in the past, and found the general service a bit touch and go. But this time round everything was slick and pleasant and the room was great.

• Yorkie Aid says:

That sounds great Tony. We have a CC free night there next month so looking forward to it even more now.

• Anna says:

Beware if withdrawing cash at an ATM in Spain. Apparently Unicaja is the only one which doesn’t charge these days. I tried 2 different ATMs this afternoon – one wanted 5 euros for the privilege and the other (Santander!) wanted 7!

• Tony1 says:

Its been that way for about a year now. Only thing you can do is to take the max amount to make fee small. But exchange rate will be poor and you will get fees in UK as well. Better just to pay on the card and choose to pay in Euro’s if the merchant / machine gives you and option ( some retailers help you by saying you want to pay in GBP ! )

• Lord Doncaster says:

Have you tried Bank Inter?

• Lord Doncaster says:

There were also some red cash machines branded ‘Popular’ that had free cash withdrawals for UK card holders – I’ll have to check next time.

• Harry T says:

What’s cash? 😂 went to Barcelona for eight nights and didn’t use any!

• Yorkieflyer says:

If you can find a foreign bank such a Deutsche bank or such as kutxabank these are transaction free

• BarryT says:

Hello all
    First ever post here, so please be gentle! Last October I took out a sub to The Economist with a promise of 15K Avios to my Iberia Plus account. Long story short: I’m still waiting for them 10 months later. I’ve had numerous online chats and have had – so far – 9 email correspondences with the Economist CS team. Every single response concludes the same way: we’re sorry, it’s been escalated. I’m kind of at my wit’s end. It’s fair to say that I would not have taken out the sub without the offer. Anyone else been in the same boat? Any potential remedies I could try? I can see on Flyertalk that manual chasing for missing Avios is quite common, but 10 months and multiple attempts at regress seems egregious to me. My very first confirmed the entitlement of the 15k offer, so that can’t be the issue! Many thanks!

• AndyS says:

Does tesco still give 25 clubcard points for surveys? I have 85 points and need to get to 150 for the virgin autoconvert bonus, if I get 25 for a survey I only need to spend 40 quid!