Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 30th August

Comments (501)

• MrIO says:

Hi, I need to extend a companion voucher. I am just confirming I can book an arbitrary flight (Man-LHR return) use my voucher and then cancel after the 24hr cooling period? Anything else I need to do or any time window for the flight booking?

• Toaster says:

Is it a chip and pin one? These are different to the ones you more commonly see in shops which are limited to max value of £120 and cannot be reloaded/topped up.

I’ve never seen the chip and pin ones in a shop but they are min value £120 upto £5k, I think can be topped up and I recall them being used for employee discount schemes.

• Toaster says:

Was supposed to be a reply to Reney on previous page with regards to one4all gift cards.

• Mark says:

Can anyone help?
    Someone has emptied my Virgin points from my account somehow?
    Im not sure what’s going on but 150k points has been moved to what looks like a Hilton account about 5 days ago.
    It says in my Virgin red account Hilton points tip?

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Virgin CS can help; we can’t.
      Yes that’s the normal label for HH transfers. I believe they process these transfers once per month? (it certainly takes a while anyway; I’m currently waiting for one) so contact VS support immediately and chances are they can stop it. I believe the VS and HH account has to be in the same name – that’s what CS claim, although whether it works in reality…
      They usually request secondary authentication to do this via Email or text. Has your Email or phone no. on the account been changed if you did not get this? If not it could even be an admin error. Obviously I’d change all passwords and look at security in general to be on the safe side.

• Mark says:

Thank you for the quick reply.. the crazy thing is I only had 135k virgin points in my account so it’s left me with minus points as 150k has been taken.
        Its very strange

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Shouldn’t be possible so almost certainly internal error/problems at Virgin then.

• Yorkshire Rich says:

Somebody the other day (or was it even the other week) kindly wrote out the
    Daily and maximum Limits on Solihull. I’ve spent the last half hour trying to find the post but I can’t. Thankyou in advance

• Chris says:

Just had a marketing email from Hilton providing 10,000 points. I’m diamond and have had 6 stays in 2021. It sounds from the copy in the email this is triggered by a stay at some point.

—-
    Dear Chris
    We have been delighted to welcome you and so many other guests back to our hotels in recent months. It’s been wonderful to serve you once more, and on behalf of all of us at Hilton, I want to say a huge thank you for your continued trust – and for choosing to stay with us time and time again.

As a token of our appreciation for your loyalty and patience – particularly as we have all adjusted to a unique summer travel season – please accept 10,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points on us. Just click the button below to instantly claim your Points.

[Claim your gift]

As travel returns and we reconnect with the people and places we love, our teams are more committed than ever to offering you the friendly, reliable experiences you’ve come to expect from Hilton – as well as the safety and flexibility you need. We hope to welcome you back to one of our more than 6,600 hotels around the world soon. Until then, here’s to new memories.
    —-

• Craig says:

I need help with a BA Companion voucher question.

I’m trying to redeem two vouchers at the same time. My wife and I have a household account (I’m considered to be the ‘head’), with two ‘Family and Friends’ listed.

As things stand, we have a total of four vouchers two earned by me and two by my wife. The travel dates we’re looking at don’t allow me to use my vouchers so we’re trying to use my wife’s. We can make a dummy booking on my BA logon, but when we try to use my wife’s vouchers the BA website won’t let us. There’s a difference in that my account has square ‘tick boxes’ next to the vouchers whereas my wife’s has circular dot boxes.

I currently hold a BA Premium Amex and my wife held the blue version. We were told that to be able to use two vouchers together you have to be a Premium Amex cardholder and that’s what the problem is. Having upgraded her card, the problem’s still there. It was only upgraded yesterday so whether there’s a time lag somewhere, I’m not sure.

Personally, I think it may have something to do with the BA Household account? Also when we make the dummy booking, we’re being charged two lots of avios and two vouchers. Is that correct?

Any help would be very gratefully received as we’ve only got a couple of weeks to get this sorted now!

Thanks.