Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 30th August

Comments (498)

• Barry says:

Morning, does anyone know whether Avios are extending Lloyds upgrade vouchers? What’s the current expiry for those who extended most recently?

I have upgraded flights booked for October half term that I want to move to next year and just wondering what my options are.

• Nigel W says:

It is 31st October (but have to book by 30th October as the 31st is a Sunday and they are not open on Sundays).

• Ron says:

Hello, planning summer trip 2022, does BA website showing AS Avios seats correctly? Not sure if I’m correct on this… if redemption seats are available on AA website, does it mean it’s available for Avios redemption too? Thanks.

• Richie says:

BA IT could be doing anything or nothing. Sometimes 3 letter airport codes are recognised quicker than typing the place name.

• Louise K says:

Must be Saaver availability to book with Avios

• Lady London says:

AASaver typically yes. Only.

• Mark says:

Morning. Trying to get my head around curve.
    If I were to use curve “in front” of a virgin mastercard would I be able to use it to pay off a different card’s statement? Or would that be treated as a cash advance?

• StevieKicks says:

Curve passes the MCC on to the underlying card, so it will be treated the same as if using the underlying card direct

• Aaron C says:

So how do all the Brighton and Solihull secret squirrels get their points?

• StevieKicks says:

Apparently Virgin to Creation works direct without the need for Curve.
          Not sure about Brighton

• Aaron C says:

I’ve never understood it all. So they pay off their Brighton bill with a Beardy CC behind Bendy? Isn’t that a Balance Transfer?

• JSemity says:

Pay off Brighton with Solihull with bendy sitting in the middle. Then pay off Solihull with Beardy direct. Welcome to the triple point stack.

• Aaron C says:

Ok it’s clearer cheers. I’m not entirely sure what Solihull is but I guess I’ve got to do some of the work myself!

• SteveJ says:

Fronted or Metal

• Harrier25 says:

Instead of discussing it in depth on here why not use trial and error and discover for yourself, like the rest of us did. Do you really need your hand held and bottom wiped while risking closing this avenue for the rest of us?

• Mike says:

Harrier 25 – please don’t hold my hand whilst wiping my bottom ! It may risk more than closing the avenue. 😀

• Char Char says:

There are better options depending on what cards you have.

• Gordon Ritchie says:

Advised of Bangkok Airways IT security breach today.

• the_real_a says:

Yes i got the same. Apparently they got “everything”… name, address, phone, email, passport info etc

• Richie says:

Btw Nectar app has a partner offer with Avanti, just watch the ad for 25 points.

• Dave says:

Don’t you value your time at more than twelve pence?

• Richie says:

I’m a multi-tasker.

• Scott says:

I don’t know if the question should even be about the value of one’s time. To me, it’s about the absolute value of the points (12p) – I wouldn’t pick 12p up off the street, the value would make no improvement to my life, there’s nothing extra I’d be able to buy with that 12p. It’s virtually worthless to me. Now, if I found £1 in the street, that’s a different matter!

• AJA says:

Just press play and do something else while it runs. No way they can tell if you’re paying attention. There’s no test afterwards. 25 NP for free. What’s not to like? Not sure when the points post though.

• Char Char says:

No but you would make an unpaid comment on a website about not picking up 12p in the time you could pickup 12p or watch the advert

• sloth says:

has probably cost you 15p of time to make that comment…

• ChrisC says:

I’ve got an earn 1,500 points for booking an advance fare before 7th September.

Glad I checked as booking for this weekend

(BTW if I did have the ad offer then I’d do it and ‘watch’ it whilst I made a cuppa)

• Dubious says:

Thanks Richie, does not seem to show on my account, but still better use of my time looking for it than the time I spent reading some of the other replies your comment got….

• Andrew says:

Just noticed Nectar have a 30 points/£ on connected card with Lands End. Luckily I had activated my Virgin card – and this morning without knowing I had done this, had ordered £100 of stuff in the Lands End sale.

So I may get 3000 Nectar points which I didn’t even know about which is a decent chunk.

Couldn’t see the Avanti ad…

Anyone had experience of the linked cards thing working

• Andrew says:

Don’t you also have 15% back at Lands End on your Virgin Card Offers as well?

Not forgetting 10% on Airtime?

Yes, Nectar Connect works just fine. Triggered ok on a Lakeland Plastics offer.

• mvcvz says:

Did that. No sign of the points.

• Vin says:

Good news at MAN.
    Lufty biz passengers can access the Aspire lounge again – although check modified opening times .

• Blair says:

Which airlines contract with 1903 at MAN? I only know of AF-KLM and Etihad.

• sigma421 says:

The Oneworld website is showing QR for the new 1903 Lounge in T2 (CX is still in Escape)

• simon says:

HI All, have a tax bill to HMRC to pay and Curve metal. What cc card would you recommend to put behind it? I understand HSBC PWE is out.

• JP-MCO says:

Why is that? I used my Curve Metal fronted HSBC PWE to pay a large HMRC bill back at the beginning of July. Has something changed?

• James W says:

I use Capital on Tap VISA (1 avios/£) as underlying to pay HMRC VAT, Corp Tax etc.

• Simon says:

Have this option already for work tax, but this is for ‘Player 2’ who I can’t add as a 2nd card holder.

• JSemity says:

Pay using creation then pay that off with beardy for the double dip

• JP-MCO says:

Interesting to see that as of 1 August 2021 St Regis Mauritius is no longer a St Regis but has been ‘downgraded’ to a JW Marriott. Not surprisingly really as it hasn’t been operating at St Regis standards since Bernard de Villele left the property. I gather they’ve been having cash flow issues and some guests who had their bookings cancelled back in Feb/March 2020 still haven’t received refunds!

• Harry T says:

OMAAT did write an article on this a shot while ago. Interesting and rare example of a hotel downgrading itself rather than leaving the programme.

• Rob says:

Annoying as I was looking at that for next May as I snagged Avios seats for half term.

• KBuffett says:

The property is run down anyway, and hasn’t been of St Regis standard for sometime (unless it’s been refurbished in the last few years?).
          I would even go as far as to suggest it’s not even of JW Marriott standard.

• TGLoyalty says:

They must be planning some sort of soft refurbishment otherwise Marriott would surely dump it and the property wouldn’t waste money rebranding

• JP-MCO says:

I think you’ve dodged a bullet actually Rob – it’s not that great a hotel. Many more options in Mauritius that are infinitely better; O&O Le Saint Geran, Le Prince Maurice and FS at Anahita to name just a few. The St Regis wasn’t too bad when we stayed in 2013 (Bernard de Villele was still at the helm) but there were a lot of mishaps and certainly not luxury hotel standard.