Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 30th August

Comments (498)

• Jinny says:

Hi,

Quick question, my partner has a business platinum Amex and I have the supplementary card . Amex just told me on the phone that I don’t get a priority pass and that I only get lounge access when travelling with my partner, is that right?

• Rob says:

No, that’s rubbish. Whole point of it being a supp Platinum is that you get the same benefits as the main Platinum.

Rhys has a supp on my Business Platinum and has the Priority Pass.

• Jinny says:

Thank you, I will contact Amex again!

• Rob says:

Why are you contacting them at all? The Priority Pass just turns up in the post when the supplementary Platinum application has gone through.

• Paul says:

A data point of T5 immigration queues.

Friends arrived from Budapest on Saturday and claim to have taken 5 hours to get through the hell hole that is T5.

I arrived from Santorini last night and BA refused to tell me on board just how bad the situation was in the terminal at 9pm. Allegedly they could not get this information. Utter rubbish!
    Once on stand we were held on board for around 10 minutes before being offloaded into T5B. On arrival in T5A we were directed to the end of a very long queue but none of the staff could give any indication of how long it would be to get to the front. It took us 50 minutes.
    The situation is clearly very bad at times as food and water stations have been set up to provide those waiting queuing to re enter the hostile environment that is plague island.
    Priti Patel must be thrilled!

• Blair says:

Isn’t the problem of providing water in long queues that the water must come out eventually? I doubt fellow queuers would appreciate cutting back in after being to the loo

• Will_ says:

Is this a timing thing? I got through T5 in about 10 mins arriving from Lisbon a few days ago. Europeans are seemingly allowed to use our e-gates (wasn’t reciprocal in Lisbon – took 90mins to go through passport control in Lisbon) so most people with a machine readable passport were through in no time.

• roberto says:

Border Force busy over at T4 dealing with all the poor souls plucked from Karbul in the last fews days.

Things will get back to normal (whatever that is) in the next week or so.

• Rum says:

It was a total shambles on Friday night. The train from 5B had broken down so we had to walk to the main terminal. Was with the family so couldn’t use the e-gates. Ended up waiting 2.5-3 hours. Kids falling asleep off luggage they were sat on, grown men fainting and arguments breaking out all around. The amount of rubbish on the floor was appalling for a country that’s meant to be setting the example for others. Oh and don’t even get me started on the baggage hall with ten flights assigned to each carousel and luggage strewn right across the hall.
      I can’t believe this is the country we’ve become. We are a joke and the world is laughing at us

• Rob says:

I deliberately paid extra for the London City flight from Palma yesterday because I guessed it would be like this at Heathrow. First off the plane and no-one ahead of us.

Although, amusingly, they threatened to ban my wife from entering because she was on her German passport and couldn’t prove she had a British passport. Apparently you’re not allowed to enter the UK now on a foreign passport if you have a British one, unless you can show the British one (photo is OK). She was let off with a warning as this was her first flight this year.

I assume if she’d been alone she would have been OK but clearly turning up with me and the kids triggered it. My son was also on his German passport as his UK one has expired but luckily I had a photo of that on my phone.

Apart from that … we were back home in South Ken 65 minutes from touching down at City.

That said, when I flew into City from Gibraltar a few weeks ago I was told by the Border Force agent that I had to quarantine at home for 2 weeks. I told her that wouldn’t be happening …

• ACK says:

Dual passport holders have the option to register / link their non-UK passport against the UK passport. I usually enter the UK using my EU passport (habit) and BF told me to link it up in the system, so they can see that I have both. Haven’t done it as I can’t be bothered as I usually have both on me.

• Peter K says:

It amazes me how you keep referring the the UK as Plague Island (despite the fact it’s not even one island) yet you haven’t left to live in another country, even for a few months.

• Andy says:

I got through in less than 5 minutes around 3pm today at T5, and only queued for a few seconds at the egates

• Paul says:

They were in Greece in their droves mostly sweeping up the breakfast buffet at the IC Athens before boarding a cruise. In Santorini there was 7 cruise ships in 4 days including Seabourne, Silverseas,Norwegian, celestial and a monstrosity call Celebrity Apex. The latter looked like hell on the high seas. Americans were everywhere!

There was report on Friday that the EU was expected to reinstate restrictions on US travellers from Monday as the US and not reciprocated. I would not expect the craven UK government to follow suit.

• Blair says:

Similarly they’ve been filling up Viking river cruises this year esp with absence of UK cruisers

• Lady London says:

Well the UK didn’t for India. Nuff said really.

• John says:

The UK never had restrictions on Americans entering, unless they had been in red countries

• Rory says:

Does anyone have some first hand good hotel recommendations for Jersey? Looking for something pretty decent, but there doesn’t look like a huge amount on the island. Cheers!

• Dave says:

Stayed at Best Western Royal and liked it

• GaryE says:

L’Horizon Beach Hotel in St Brelade’s Bay would recommend – stayed for 5 nights a couple of years back.

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

The Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel in St Helier is decent – on the sea front by the marina so nice views. Its about a 5-10 minute walk to the main town shopping and restaurant areas and right next door to a cinema and kids waterpark if that’s of any interest.

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

PS The Pomme D’Or and Yacht Hotels are also good quality and right next door to each other in Liberation Square, main part of town and next to good restaurants / bars in the Liberty Wharf shopping area. Best top end hotel by reputation however is definitely Longueville Manor if money no object…

• Rob says:

… but probably isn’t. Unless you really love chintz The Atlantic, which we have discussed on here in the past, is your best choice. We were there last year. You need a sea facing room though. Longueville has no sea views and isn’t walkable to a great beach.

• Tracey says:

Pomme d’or for location. If you want to hire a car there is a local place a few doors down from the hotel, quarter of the price of the intnl chains.

• Chris says:

St Brelades is good (and can walk there from the Airport)

• Lady London says:

AASaver typically yes. Only.

• JW says:

Hi,

I had 5 x Upper Class flights which were meant to be flying to Las Vegas on Wednesday for a stag-do (booked using points when they did the big points discounts last autumn), however, Virgin have just cancelled the flights. Am I correct in thinking that they have to re-book me onto any Virgin flight to Vegas as long as they are selling seats i.e. there does not need to be award availability? If so, are they likely to argue/dispute this with me when I call them them?

• Terry S says:

Was about to ask if anyone thought US could possibly open by October (my flight to MIA is on the 4th), but no chance judging by today’s comments on this blog!! It’s great to see the airlines have some transatlantic trade but not if UK/EU punters can’t fly in the other direction too.

• S879 says:

Seems unlikely. I read somewhere it was delayed till at least November. The flights are still going but the issue is you can’t travel on an ESTA if not a US citizen unless its a special circumstance and you have permission from the embassy.

• Blair says:

And the truth is those in the UK with political connections and money have green cards/US passports/homes where they can wait out 14 days so pressure is lifted. I had the displeasure of being seated next to one of them at my pool yesterday.

• Yorkie Aid says:

You cannot “wait out the 14 days” in your own home. Otherwise I’d be going there myself.

• Andy says:

Clearly meant homes in locations from where the US allows ESTA passengers…

• Polly says:

Sadly cancelled our sea F 241 today for the 2nd.. shame, but chap advised us to wait til after September 6th to look at availability. Said we will be pleasantly surprised…

• Terry S says:

👍

• YC says:

Preferred hotels amex offer 100/400. Decent Seville hotel in there and other Amex fhr/emyr stacks possible

• Blair says:

Mmm yes this one is a keeper. 30/11 expiry.Their Spanish hotels are a ridiculous price during Sept though.