Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 30th August

Comments (498)

• Alex says:

Rob and readers, your thoughts regarding Platinum signup bonus getting a further boost down the line? Is this the best we are going to see? Realistically, can it get any better?

I can only guess that this must be a reaction to something. Probably a new player entering, like Chase?

• Blair says:

Isn’t US bonus 100,000 at best? Getting 70 in the UK as per recent referral boost seems about as good as it gets considering the underlying cost base.

• Blair says:

I’d rather Amex hold some bullets in reserve on sign up bonuses to deploy to existing cardholders

• Rob says:

You’re not going to beat 65k, which is a referred Platinum. It has NEVER been this high before.

• TGLoyalty says:

While I know what you are saying for clarity it’s worth saying It was 70k for about 2 months and ended only a couple weeks ago.

• Rob says:

That was a restricted, targetted offer. There has never been an ‘open to all’ offer of 60k before (65k if referred).

• SteveJ says:

There was a 70k referred bonus (selected) a few weeks ago, so has been beaten.

• Graham says:

I need to make a BA Holidays booking by phone (Avios 2p voucher to redeem). Is it just the general number I call? I’m Gold but from memory the Gold line is flight only. Am I correct? Cheers!

• Reeferman says:

I spoke with the Gold line (for a flight only booking) and then asked about a BA holiday issue. Was told they can transfer me across, but cannot deal with the issue themselves.

• jotaele says:

Has anyone been able to buy a test from expert medicals today? I fill in the form, click submit and the website just reloads, it never gets me to the payment processing stage.

• Diydegsy says:

Yes I have tried for ages and no use so maybe try again tomorrow.

• Tracey says:

Snap. Gave up and went for nationwide pathology £40 for day 2 tests.

• C says:

I tried several times last week and had the same problem. The website has been working intermittently according to others, but I ended up ordering from Randox – £43 with BA/Ryanair code – on Thursday night in about 2 minutes and they were delivered this morning by DPD

• TGLoyalty says:

The annoying thing is EM is not only cheaper but actually easier to return via a priority mailbox (there are many of them in most towns and cities)

• Alex B says:

Looking for a resort near a decent sized Town/City (I.e. things to do outside of the resort).

Looking at Dubrovnik, but anyone got any other suggestions of Place/Resort. Dubrovnik & Sheraton on BA holidays for one person in a room coming up around £1100 for a week which seems around what I’m willing to spend.

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Depends on the things you’d like to do of course, but WA Rome and IC Cascais-Estoril come to mind. You’d have plenty of options in Malta, Venice or Barcelona too.

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Somehow managed to gloss over your budget. Disregard those specific properties unless you have points to burn.

• Alex B says:

Ideally bit of trail running, a bit of eating and drink, a bit of live sport to watch and the odd site to see.

• Chrisasaurus says:

This is a bit off piste since it was you asking for advice but if you research any really good routes for running out of Dubrovnik, you’re welcome to share 🙂

• Red Flyer says:

Same Sebastian never fails to disappoint if you want best of both worlds.

• Nick G says:

Anyone logged in or tried to log into Iberia recently? Trying to transfer a few thousand Avios I have in my wife’s account and my account. However when I try to log in I either get a mesasge saying an error has occurred and can’t log in. Or if I do log in after trying over and over I can’t log in to combing my Avios. Typical Iberia IT rant over

• TheOtherN says:

Just tried. First try, error. Second try, in!

• Nick G says:

Thanks. Still can’t get in again. Luckily it’s only a few thousand left to move out! Just annoying!!

• Rahaney says:

Anyone have success recently with paying the new Nectar partner bank via Bendy? What was your underlying? Worked up until this week for me.
    Ta

• FloriGuy says:

Amex 10,000 avios for £5000 spend offer.

Is it still available? I have it on my principal card but wondered if I could get it on the Supp card?

• Andrew says:

Was only available for the main card.

• VerdantBacon says:

It’s not on supp cards

• JDB says:

The email from Amex said it was. “ Don’t miss your 10,000 Avios treat. Simply save the Offer to your British Airways American Express® Premium Plus Card and spend £5,000 by 30 November 2021. And don’t forget, these bonus Avios are on top of the usual Avios you already collect.1
        Supplementary Cardmembers on your Account can enjoy this great Offer too. They just need to visit their Online Account and save the Offer to Card.
        Offer is available to the first 60,000 Cardmembers.”

• BJ says:

Curious, it seemed that the offer wasn’t on supps.

• JDB says:

That was the email I received, copied and pasted! My son has been a supp on my BAPP account for some years and did have it in his offers. Maybe new supps from the recent 3k+3k were too late to make the cut?

• S says:

How long to wait after adding a card to Virgin Shops Away before using it in stores?

• Peter K says:

It says to leave a day or 24hrs, I forget which.

• Jonathan says:

The last time I stocked up at Morrison’s with gift cards during a promotion at the start of the year, nearly all of the transactions didn’t track

• Polly says:

All ours did, interesting enough. Did you call into check why?

• S says:

Unfortunately, same here – I think only 1 tracked last time, but have added a new card to try this time

• BJ says:

Seems to have been a high failure rate, @xcalx and I commented on it in the main article. They still refused mine despite receiving screenshots and cc statements. I had no problem with the 2020 version.

• Chrisasaurus says:

It late to the party but for those who had failures could you have had the same cards registered on the ba equivalent?

• Char Char says:

Earlier this year it seems if you had Virgin shops away and PAW most likely it went to PAW only, which in my case was 1 point as opposed to 10 🙁