Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 7th September

Comments (469)

• Simon says:

Referred the Mrs for an Amex card to make use of the last day of the enhanced referral bonus on the Business Platinum. Got to the stage where it says approved and asks you to choose a card PIN – then for some reason had it time out (with a generic error message after). So far no referral points for me or confirmation email for her. Is it worth checking that it went through okay?

• NG says:

Yes just call amex. Points usually post when card is recieved in post I find and confirmation email is not always sent :/

• S says:

Thanks for this post. Mixed things up thinking the referral bonus deadline was November but thats for the personal cards. Trying to max out business plat referrals today hopefully the points all hit.

• Jord says:

Has anyone been successful in reaching BA holidays in the past couple of weeks? We’re due to fly on 22nd Sep- under two bookings, i only paid deposit but want to pay the full balance off using a FTV, however i have to do it over the phone. I spoke to multiple teams, facebook, twitter who all couldn’t help and tried putting me through but it just cuts out saying they are taking too many calls. They’ve now since cancelled 1 of the bookings today due to failure to pay off the balance (as we are now within the 3 week due date). Ive also tried an email address a team gave me but still haven’t heard back from that either. Ba agent told me not to pay it off in cash as then i still be stuck with the FTV’s. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Anuj says:

Any olive oil recommendations ? Currently get the 3L odysea oil from amazon.

• Alan Todd says:

Booked redemption flights using 2 for 1 for two adults and and infant in club, EDI-LHR-LCA return later in the month. As I understand it infant fee should be 10% of adult fare, yet taxes and fees total is £260.84… £100 per adult as expected and £60.84 for infant.. Could someone help me understand this? Avios cost was 10% again as expected. TIA.

• BuildBackBetter says:

I guess some of the airport taxes are per passenger, irrespective of adult or child.

• ChrisC says:

The infant discount only applies to the BA controlled elements of the fare.

Some of the airport fees and proper government taxrs aren’t discounted for infants. There is no APD for infants which accounts for £26 of the difference.

Do a dummy booking and look at the detailed fare breakdown.

• Rory says:

Question for entering Portugal. Is there a way to convert our NHS vaccination certificate to the EU one? Or do all those from the UK entering Portugal need a test? Cheers!

• Darko says:

I am a Croatian national and we can convert UK vaccinations into EU Vaccine Passport by emailing Croatian vaccination centre. EU Vaccine Passport is then emailed to you the same day.

• Pete M says:

If you’re flying from the UK you will have hassle checking in without a test, spend the £20 for ease.

• Rory says:

We’re actually flying from Spain, so might be eaiser if we can concert.

• meta says:

How long have you been in Spain? If more than 14 days, I believe no test is needed.

• Nick G says:

Am I right in thinking marriott points expiry has been paused until March 2022?

• Thomas S says:

Hi Rob – out of curiosity which cards do you have?

• Rob says:

I hold an odd selection because a) I can charge fees to HfP which effectively halves them and b) I can maximise referral bonuses so it makes sense to have all the Amex points families.

So … currently sitting on Amex Plat, Amex Bus Plat, BAPP, Bonvoy, HSBC WE (don’t pay for it), MBNA Horizon. Wife has Amex Gold and an old House of Fraser Mastercard paying 1% in shopping vouchers!

• KBuffett says:

Is there anything decent available to buy at House of Fraser since their takeover?

• jj says:

I thought I was the only person here left with a HoF Mastercard. I haven’t heard it mentioned anywhere for years but it works a treat with bendy. The HoF website is a total mess, but a steady supply of vouchers means I’m prepared to overlook the limitations.

• TJ says:

Tried to check-in with BA today but received the following: “The travel document details you have entered are not valid for this flight”. I’ve checked all my docs and BA have already verified everything I need to fly. Feels like an IT glitch but wanted to check if anyone has experienced this.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Have you used VeriFLY and does that verify everything ok? Oddly for mine it rejected my wife’s negative test result first time
      Round but uploaded same off a second time and was fine.

I’m not clear what purpose it then actually services, beyond validating you have everything you need mind you

• AFKAE says:

I had this a month ago. Nothing to be concerned about just means you have to check in at a desk and can’t use the self service stations…….not sure if they’re working anyway.