Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 9th September

Comments (1025)

• Biki says:

I thought I would give everyone an update on the £200 Platinum dining offer, for those that wondered whether a new applicant would receive the offer. I applied online last Thursday (2nd), The card was delivered on Monday and used for the first time on Tuesday. This morning the first lot of offers started appearing, one of which is the £200 dining credit, so very happy!

• xcalx says:

Just had a message from creation.
    ” With immediate effect we will be unable to process any transactions using your curve card where the transaction is allocated to your creation issued credit card. ”

Oh well great while it lasted.

• Tony says:

Whoah. Really?

• JSemity says:

oh no..

• Harrier25 says:

If this is widespread and also includes retIl purchases then it’s not great news for Curve either.

• idontflymuch says:

oh dear, where did you receive that message?

• BuildBackBetter says:

Was it from Creation? Or Curve?

• Paul says:

i got this too direct from creation

• Harrier25 says:

Apparently it’s in the form of an SMS from Creation, as reported on previous page. I’m yet to receive it.

• ankomonkey says:

There’s a lover of irony at Creation who decided to punish MS fiends and communicate it only by S’MS’…

• David says:

The opening line is literally “I had a message from creation”…

• xcalx says:

Just seen another poster recieved this message too. Should have mentioned mrsxcalx also got the message.
      Looking on the brightside Morrisons Virgin transactions are tracking plus I got 4 x till spits “spend £125 get £12.50 for the next 4 week which worked on morisson girt card spend. I think these till spits are due to a new Aldi opening a few hundred yards away.

• stevenhp1987 says:

How did you receive this message?

For starters, I’m unsure that is even allowed. It would be a change that requires the relevant notice period surely?

• stevenhp1987 says:

I have now just received this SMS.

No number, the sender is “Creation”.

Are they allowed to block Curve? If they wanted to block them don’t they need to give some form of notice period?

• Paul says:

Damn! Can Solihull fund Ernie directly? I’ve seen this suggested.

• Rui N. says:

Ask Amex if they are allowed to block Curve or not 🙂

• TGLoyalty says:

Completely different. Alex have decided not to deal with curve as a payment processor

Curve is a MasterCard partner …

• stevenhp1987 says:

+1 That is my thinking.

Not sure Creation would be allowed to restrict a particular merchant.

They could block or charge fees for specific MCCs though. Potentially even charge fees for all Curve spend as it could be seen as a cashlike transaction (you are technically topping up Curve when you pay). Unsure they can simply block the merchant under Mastercard rules though.

• JDB says:

Curve will complain to MasterCard citing the requirement for universal acceptance, Creation will explain why they have done it and most likely, like Amex, will remain blocked. Others will follow.

• Roy says:

It’s not like Amex, though. Mastercard and Visa would probably be loath to set the precedent of allowing card issuers to pick and choose which merchants you can use their cards at. Once they allow one issuer to do this, where will it end?

• Roy says:

Or put another way – Amex gets to choose what the Amex rules say. Creation doesn’t get to choose what the Mastercard rules say!

• Ian says:

Another one here. SMS received at 10:20.

• Rui N. says:

Also received the SMS. The “immediate” was not exactly true: just replenished Ernie almost until the last pound of my credit limit and all went fine.

• Grant says:

Game’s a bogey. Its coming people, if you’ve not had it yet it won’t be long.

• Rahaney says:

Txt @1023…
      Free/white card.
      Can I ask if anyone else had just updated their app on iPhone? Not sure if related

• ZW says:

I got the same message from Creation too.

• meta says:

No message yet for me. I am only white. It still works for me as well.

• andy says:

Just had the text. Very annoying as for some reason my IHG card gets blocked a lot of the time when I’m out and about. Usually the second transaction at the pub or a brewery i go to. Switch it to Curve and it works fine!

• Grimz says:

Anyone else not received the 10% back from Amex for purchasing gift cards at Morrison’s? My friend has received the credit for groceries but nothing for gift cards. Beware!!

• Crafty says:

I’ve inadvertently exceeded my IHG Premium credit limit, as a direct result of the recent changes whereby pending transactions don’t show up on the account until cleared. Specifically, a wine purchase for £200 was made over a week ago, but only hit the account this morning, tipping me over into default.

This doesn’t seem hugely fair to me, but on the other hand, I am wary of poking the sleeping beast given how useful this card is. What would others do in this situation – write to Creation to appeal the £12, or let it slide to avoid drawing any human attention to the account?

• JSemity says:

let it slide, you risk someone taking a detailed look at your account and shutting you down for the sake of £12.. You’ll make that £12 back in MS in no time.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

I think Creation will be leaving the UK soon anyway so either way it is a gamble

• Reney says:

any particular insights?

• BuildBackBetter says:

With curve and creation over, their volumes will plummet 90%

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Told ya, big changes are coming. Rob has been opaqe on all comments re return of IHG and Creation. Usually means something is up

• TGLoyalty says:

Or not since curve and creation is over.

• Anna says:

I’m not poking the beast over my £28 EM test which never arrived. I got a free replacement from 119 so I’m taking the view that I paid for a test, and I got a test.

• Anna says:

Wondering whether to pre-emptively feed Ernie while the route is still there, or wait in case not everyone has roused the Creative wrath…

• Benilyn says:

take it on the chin & move on

• illuminatus says:

Hi everyone, I need to take home/contents insurance for my new home, price £1.7M. Hiscox is an obvious choice, a few questions:
    – any good experience with claims with them?
    – any benefits of going through an insurance broker or Barclays Premier Premium insurance vs going direct with Hiscox?
    – any other suitable options I should consider (have also seen good things about Chubb)?
    – any special ways to maximise avios with insurance?

Thank you.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

There is a brokers that gives you Avios, search on the site. They can probably do a specific policy if requested

• JDB says:

No points benefit, but you should get a quote from NFU. Their policy is essentially the same as Chubb, Hiscox etc but significantly cheaper and much more bespoke. Flexible re alarms, jewellery in safe etc. We have had one claim for major squirrel damage and they were excellent. A number of family members also report favourably.

• Lady London says:

Hiscox used to be excellent and were the go-to for any unusual or relatively high risk. Have seen some not so stellar feedback in very recent years though. Think they might have got bought by a much larger corporation before that started happening. I’d still look at them for most things. But would heavily balance any excellent feedback on another provider checking customer service and claims handling. Why not take a look at the guys Rob has a deal with?

• mike says:

Congratulations on your new £1.7 home – although you may not be a fellow resident of Doncaster so it is unlikely I can congratulate you in person.

• John says:

Had a million pound jewellery claim from Hiscox 10 years ago – paid out immediately.
      Downside: never able to use them again as my annual premium quotes from them since then around £11000 compared to £7000 elsewhere.

• KBuffett says:

I think that’s the way with most insurers once you’ve made a sizeable claim.

I’ve found Hiscox to be very expensive now, their requirements are stringent and read that their claims process has gone downhill now.

I went with Barclays this year, not the cheapest, but seem to have comprehensive cover without stringent requirements.

• Wollhouse says:

I was with Hiscox for a while. I worked in the Lloyds market and they always had a good rep for claims payment. IMO, It’s not worth saving a few hundred quid if the insurer denies a major claim. I also had good service from Oak UW. Hiscox has a direct arm which bypasses the need for a broker. But sometimes having a broker go to bat for you has value. I have moved my cover to NatWest private for the past few years. They were way more competitive. They beat NFU who were able to quote (many won’t for my property), they’ve been great with adding/removing an additional property. They also sent a surveyor who did a full valuation of the property, fixtures etc and were v helpful regarding contents valuations . I haven’t had a claim, but they’ve been very responsive in my dealings. NatWest private accepted Amex but I view that as a bonus rather than the reason for picking my insurer.

• KBuffett says:

Who is the insurer for the Natwest policy?

• Wollhouse says:

It’s direct line. But I believe different cover than is available directly via direct line?. They can’t/wouldn’t quote. I was impressed with the policy wording and my contacts with the nat west team have always been positive.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Read a convo about Skiing the other day but can’t find it. Any recommendations? I know rob had one for a 4* maybe low 5* star one but can’t remember the name!

Regulars have probably guessed this one will be tricky for me and the OH to organise, a blind guy and an electric wheelchair user go skiing. What could possibly go wrong 🙂

• JohnT says:

Here at Wentworth Hilton tables, quiet so far but food offerings are good! Bar opens soon.

• Kevin C says:

Enjoy your day. Is it worth getting there in time for breakfast?

• JohnT says:

Pretty good breakfast – cereal, fruit, omelette chefs, etc. Lunch very good too. Met at least 2 other Hilton redemption pairs during the day, now on gin and tonic tasters overlooking the 18th with our excellent cream tea! @KevinC

• Kevin C says:

Thank you. Looking forward to it, especially the omelette chef. Glad you’ve enjoyed it.

• Paul B says:

Anyone else just receive that msg re. Curve from Creation?