Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 9th September

Comments (1025)

• MiddleEngland says:

*Jersey as a point of origin for JER – LHR – ATH – LHR JER

• Anna says:

On a brighter note, just a reminder that you can once again pay vehicle tax with Amex! And you don’t get asked for 5 different types of authentication!

• CarpalTravel says:

Fabulous!!! Thanks for that, thought I had gone potty when I tried to do it a couple of months ago, loads of sites saying you could but the website saying “No”…

• Martin says:

Have Curve fallen out with Creation? Just received this text from Creation: “With immediate effect we will be unable to process any transactions using your Curve Card where the transaction is allocated to your Creation issued credit card”. Perhaps not applicable to everyone?

• Andy says:

I just got the same message!

• CarpalTravel says:

Both – check out page 3 of this chat thread.

• Ng says:

same

• Benilyn says:

check page 3,4,5,6,7 and 8

• Char Char says:

Oh man! This is why a forum is needed!

• ChrisC says:

No what’s needed is for people to read the rest of the thread first before posting!

• Youllnever says:

+1 – the funniest thing is people keep saying “not sure if this was mentioned before…” and literally someone else has already mentioned it in the earlier pages!

• Char Char says:

Going through 12 pages of comments in the hope of finding a post on the subject which if you then respond to, will likely not be seen or replied to again isn’t exactly ideal!

Yes i’m replying to this comment but 99% won’t bother.

• Alex Sm says:

It’s not just me, phew…

• John says:

Err to get IHG points?? And spire for spending £27500 which gets another 25000 points (the status is generally worthless unless you go to a select number of hotels)

• BP says:

Paying into NS&I and other financial products from which money can be quickly withdrawn. Allowing funds to be cycled and spend to be ‘manufactured’.

A huge number of points were on offer depending on your credit limits and appetite for risk.

• Anna says:

Also – I have £10 off £50 at M & M Direct on my BAPP. They are excellent value if you need reasonably priced trainers/sportswear and not too bothered about brands or the latest models. Great for kids who are growing out of stuff all the time. Definitely more useful than Sweaty Betty!

• Anna says:

Actually they do brand, just not Nike (so my teenager won’t entertain them any more!). I get lots of Skechers trainers and flip flops from them as they are very, very comfortable and priced better than most other stockists.

• BarryG says:

Anyone else having issues trying to pay for flights on BA.com – gets to credit card authorisation screen and fails to load?

• Fazzy Bear says:

I am one month into my third year with Amex Business gold and should have paid the annual fee twice by now but I don’t think I have been requested for the fees.

Slight chance they may have automatically taken the money out in which case I reckon I would have noticed. Got no qualms paying it so was just wondering what’s the normal procedure for annual fees?

• Anna says:

How do you mean, requested? Don’t they just add it to your statement balance like with the personal cards?

• Fazzy Bear says:

Didn’t see it last year and just checked last 6 weeks since my 3rd year started. Nowt.

• Dr C says:

Ironically Creation are failing to send the SMS auth codes when paying online for me but works fine with Curve + Creation (For Now)

• C says:

Similar issues – I have often had online purchases with Creation rejected for security issues, but find that Curve + Creation works fine. It seems a bit better since Creation introduced the new authorization system a few weeks ago, but still not as smooth as VS MC or Amex. These are all real purchases.

• Dr C says:

Well my 5 minute time limited code arrived after 9 minutes, seems like Creation are going to be stuffed with online transactions if this continues, when Curve never missed a beat!

• DI says:

Now TV

Is anyone aware of any offers when signing up for Now TV subscription?

Thanks

• Andrew says:

Most offers come when you cancel.

40% back on Britbox with Barclaycard at the moment.

• Genghis says:

I had £5 a month for 6 months’ Entertainment recently as a returning customer. Only used it for one to watch Billions and Devils.

• John says:

I’ll just say that I’ve managed to quintuple dip on nowtv

12 month contract, went through teeceebee and got back about 40% of the total cost, paid out halfway through.

Got a lloyds offer to sign up, so changed the card to lloyds and it tracked despite not being a new signup. Then got the same offer on natwest so changed the card to natwest and it tracked; then put my wife’s natwest card on and that tracked too.

I never saw any offer on airtime rewards, but somehow one of those cards triggered an offer there too.

• KBuffett says:

Apologies for being lazy, I haven’t researched, but is NowTV a viable replacement if I cancel Sky?

• Benilyn says:

Sign up with a new account (7 day trial), cancel in a few days, or immediately. You could get given an offer, if not, you will get one in your email eventually. no harm.

• Tariq says:

Yes, depending on what hardware you’re watching it via.