Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 14th September

Comments (652)

• QFFlyer says:

MBNA Horizon credit card – just got an offer for one of mine for 0.5% extra cash back (so 1% total) from 30/9-30/12.

• Neil says:

I hope I get that one as its better than the Halifax offer I just got which is 0.5% for the same dates. I did get 1% on Halifax between May and August so that could be why I just got 0.5% this time.

• Paul says:

I have just called to rebook cancelled first class returns to Dubai. Turns out there is no first class anymore to dubai. Only emirates fly first now. they offered business. should i accept business? or is there a chance i could get them to book me on to emirates first class? that would be a result!

• Rhys says:

BA have a duty of care to get you to your destination, not necessarily to get you to your destination in First class so I doubt they’d rebook you onto Emirates and I’m not sure you’d have much success if you took them to CEDR/MCOL either. But you will get a refund if you fly Club: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/08/13/british-airways-first-class-downgrade/

• Paul says:

I’m not sure that’s right. I had business flights back from BGI in Feb cancelled. BA flight I wanted the following week was full in business. they offered me premium instead. I asked them to pay for virgin upper. They said no. I paid for the virgin tickets. Then took them through MCOL and won. I think this is the same scenario, albeit a different reason as to why they can’t offer the same cabin as the cancelled flight. Barbados was because the cabin was full. Dubai is because it doesn’t exist. Question is do I fork out £22.5k for flights to get repaid via MCOL. Actually i think that’s over limit for MCOL.

• Blenz101 says:

Didn’t somebody in yesterday’s comments just come back from Dubai in first and gave it a shocking review. Is it completely gone or just not on your particular flight?

• Lyn says:

A question, or perhaps request for an opinion, for the medical experts please re Covid testing.

We are double vaccinated. If we were to be exposed to Covid, how long would it be likely to take before testing positive on an antigen or PCR test?

The reason I am asking is that we’ll be taking our pre-departure tests in the 2 or 3 days prior to transiting Heathrow from an Amber country with fairly strict mask and “vaccine or negative test” rules. I would like to make a plan for how we would isolate if we tested positive before travel even if we had no symptoms.

Up until a few days before our flight we will be in a small countryside village and isolated from others except outside so we should be fine and if necessary could easily isolate.

But then we’ll be need to take trains and other public transport and stay in a hotel in a city for a few days before flying. This would increase our exposure even though though we would still be very careful and the rules in place in the country are fairly strict. Isolation would obviously be harder in this case. We can’t drop the city visit because that is where our BA tickets start and anyway flights to the closest airport aren’t running at the moment.

Thanks very much for any advice.

• barnaby100 says:

They say 5 days but it was 3.5 for us (4 people)
      We went to the pub between 6-9 on Friday. Woke up with sore throat and headache Tuesday morning- ordered test which amazon lost. Went for in person test on Friday and was positive.

• Tracey says:

3-5 days most likely. Theoretically possible up to 10 days, hence the isolation requirements.

• Lyn says:

Thank you both. @Tracey do you know if 1 – 2 days would unusual or even possible?

It would be an antigen test because I’ve just phoned the pharmacy and the antigen results would be available much sooner than PCR.

BA have cancelled our flights. I have to decide what changes to ask for so the flight is likely to actually happen and I also don’t want to lose the 50% avios award in First. This also means rebooking our hotel nights so I’d like to be prepared.

• Tracey says:

2 days would be possible theoretically given that you could be infectious for 2 days before you have symptoms and people have reported getting symptoms 3-4 days after infection. Whether you would initially have a high enough viral load to test positive on a simple antigen test I don’t know.

• Lyn says:

Thank you Tracey. This helps.

And thank you to Laura and Babyg as well. Hope everyone recovers quickly.

• Laura says:

I went to a festival Friday-Sunday. Was ill by Monday evening. Think I caught it on the Friday night as somebody I was dancing that evening also tested positive

• Babyg says:

the UK government expects most of us to catch it, hopefully youre double jabbed and youll recover quickly..

• bafan says:

Did Collinson’s Fit to Fly Test at St Pancras yesterday evening – have the result in 20 hours. Solid AF. £55.20 with the BA20OFF code.

• Ryan says:

Even better is the Prenetics LF test from home – £23.40 with the discount

• bafan says:

Is that a PCR test, I didn’t know? Given the urgency I didn’t trust “at home” tests. Coming back IDGAF so I’ll go with “We Are Definitely A Real Company Doing Covid Tests Ltd”.

If it’s an Antigen then that’s zero use to me.

• Jane says:

Can anyone recommend any good IHG or Hilton properties on the coast in Florida (either coast, we don’t mind a detour). I did have Hilton Bakers Cay booked for the 2021 cancelled trip but the points have increased significantly for 2022 so it looks like I might have to lower my aspirations a little.

• Josh says:

Wanted to get a last minute check before I press the order button:

SO & I are going to Ibiza for a couples chilled out week

Currently looking at the W Ibiza for 6 nights @ £1900. 2 of those nights in a “Wonderful” room, the other 4 in the “Cozy room with private plunge pool”

Also includes “Full breakfast”

We want to just have some nice food, relax and walk around. Is this a good price? Could we do any better/better value elsewhere?

Thanks!

• Ikaz says:

Worth reaching out to Emyr/Bon vivant, the hotel might be part of the Marriott Luminous group so he might be able to get you some extras

• Josh says:

I reached out to Emyr but he couldnt see the room I wanted, and the other alternative was nearly 2x the price

• Richie says:

How much is the 7pines?

• Josh says:

7 pines coming to 2.3k without the private pool which will be nice whilst we have to do some work and cant be in the resort area

• AFKAE says:

Hotel La Torre del Canonigo is nice, at the top of the hill overlooking Ibiza Town. It’s an easy walk down to town in the evening and a slower stroll uphill on the way home.

• N says:

potentially have a work trip to Spain in early November, which is just before a trip to Dubai. does anyone know how it would work with testing etc, if I was to fly back from Barcelona to London on a Friday morning/afternoon and then fly back out to Dubai on a late flight the same evening
    the reason i’m not planning on flying directly from Barcelona to Dubai is that I have some instruments that I need to take to Dubai and the more flights i take them on, the more risk there is to the sound of the instrument. so I ideally want to reduce the exposure

Anyone have any ideas on how it would work with testing , considering I would have to do a test before leaving Barcelona and also before flying to Dubai?

• Tracey says:

Who knows what the rules would be in November.

Current rules would be an antigen test in Barcelona upto 3 day before your flight. Complete a plf and buy a day 2 PCR. As you will have left the country before the end of day 2 you can re use the day 2 PCR code for your return from Dubai. I don’t know what the requirements to enter Dubai are, so you need to check on that. Returning from Dubai to the UK you need a PCR before your flight (only because antigen lateral flow tests aren’t recognised in Dubai, complete a plf again with the code from the day 2 test your bought previously.

• N says:

Thanks Tracey that’s very helpful. Let’s see what the rule change is after October 1st for tests. It would be good to defer my day 2 test to when I arrive back from Dubai as you say

• Simon says:

Vanguard deposits via Bendy

Sorry for this old chestnut, but it’s been more than a year since I last topped up my Vanguard account, so forgive me. Would any HFPer be kind enough to confirm whether either HH or Virgin, underlying Bendy, still enable fee-free Vanguard deposits? Sorry again &#128543, but many thanks in advance.