Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 14th September

Comments (652)

• DI says:

Broker fees optimisation

I remember seeing an article (on monevator?) talking about a strategy to optimise broker fees – something along the lines of often investing into a broker with no trading fees and then rarely moving the whole balance into another broker (with large trading fees, but low management fees). I cannot find this article now. Anyone knows which one I mean?

Thanks!

• Fazzy Bear says:

If you have Amazon Prime, you can now get Deliveroo Plus Family for free. So if you spend £25 at a takeaway you will get free delivery. A bit niche but better than nothing.

Usually £3.49 a month.

• TM says:

I am trying to cancel an Avios booking made within the last 24 hours – BA keep asking me to enter details for a voucher. I thought that you can cancel with 100% refund within 24 hours – am I mistaken?

• JDB says:

Doesn’t the 24hr free cancellation only apply to cash bookings?

• TM says:

This is what they say on their website: “If you have booked directly with British Airways and you notice a mistake with your booking after you have paid for your ticket(s), you can cancel your flight booking and claim a full refund without penalty, up to 24 hours from when you make the original booking. Refunds under these circumstances can be requested by calling our contact centres, with the exception of Avios bookings, which can be managed online.”

It has been a few years since I last did this but it worked properly with a full refund when I did

• ChrisC says:

You need to call.

• Harry T says:

You can cancel any flight booking within 24 hours of the time you booked, but you’ll need to call. Chat are mostly useless.

• Babyg says:

believe you have to phone up now…. the ability to cancel an avios booking online has gone…

• Anna says:

I used Twitter to cancel and get everything back minus £35 a couple of months ago. Slow but preferable to the on hold music of doom.

• TM says:

Thanks guys – will call first thing tomorrow

• Anna says:

See above re Twitter.

• SteveJ says:

Within 24 hours it shouldn’t cost the £35

• JDB says:

Are you sure that is the case with Avios bookings? I think they apply the £35 cancellation fee. No fee for cash booking cancellations within the 24hr period. Others have also confirmed this recently including Anna (above) today.

• TGLoyalty says:

Avios bookings have been covered for me within the 24 hour window in the past

I did have to say it’s free within 24 hrs the last time

• Lady London says:

Free inside 24 hrs for avios bookings too

• Degsy says:

Has anyone ever bidded (bade?) for an upgrade with Virgin? And how much was it for if so & was it successful?
    I’m flying to Antigua next month and currently PE – in the absence of any Upper reward availability I’m toying with putting one in for the minimum they will accept – £385 one way. There are still 20 seats available in the Upper cabin. Mrs Degsy is already safely in U.

• BJ says:

Anybody here stayed at the Washington Hilton? Is it really as shabby as it’s reputed to be or worth it for only $112/night while most others are $250-450?

• KBuffett says:

I wouldn’t……

• BJ says:

Sounds ominous 🙁 However, with a very early flight booked I think we would be better all round by tge Irpirt Crystal or Alex which is where I always stayed in the past..

• KZ says:

The one with the conference centre? It’s a pretty average Hilton imo… nothing great about it, nothing bad. Rollaway bed was one of the worst I’ve ever seen though so avoid that.

• Andrew says:

I prefer being in Crystal City area and flying in and out of DCA.

If you haven’t been before, it’s very walkable, head down to the Mt Vernon trail and it’s an easy walk into DC.

Bit further out, but Alexandria is the 2nd stop from DCA metro station and still a relatively short metro ride into central DC.

• Lady London says:

They cancelled so you shouldn’t be asked to pay any fare difference regardless of bucket availability. Plus it’s your choice not theirs, which alternative flight you take. EU261.

A shift to following day is a cancellation no matter what they’re calling it. Check if your flight number changed as well.

I’ve had Qatar offload me from a flight with a good shortish connection in Doha to one following day with much longer sh1tt1er connection too. I was on a promo ticket. The second time I checked and found out my original booked flight was still running so I phoned and they reinstated me onto that.

• Jeff Greene says:

Good news:

“ Figures published by the ONS earlier this month show that between April and July 2020, 18 per cent fewer people took their own lives than in the same period in 2019, and 13 per cent lower than the five-year average, with the most significant falls coming from men and young people.

The ONS data is only complete up to July 2020 because of death registration delays, but observational data from England shows no increase in suicides in the seven months after the first national lockdown. And similar patterns can be seen elsewhere. A study of 21 countries and regions published in The Lancet found no increase in the early months of the pandemic, with rates falling in 12 of the places examined”