Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 15th September

Comments (421)

• Definitas says:

@Travel Strong: thanks for the link

• DAJ says:

Here’s an interesting one!

Currently have an ex EU holiday booking for April 22. I have asked to be applied to said booking 2 e-vouchers totalling around £750.

BA have auctioned my request to have these applied which they have just down but interestingly, they have reduced the price of the original booking total rather than the ongoing balance. The net effect of this is that my original deposit of €500 is all that is showing as my contribution. IF I wish to cancel and ask for a FTV I will have lost my £750!!

Has anyone else seen this or have a view? If they are doing this as a matter of course, this could be detrimental to those who have to cancel for whatever reason.

Thought I would flag this as I feel it’s a little mischievous!

• DAJ says:

Auctioned = actioned
      Down = done

Blooming auto correct is a pain!

• Rich says:

Sounds like an IT issue/ workaround, more than anything else, but important to keep all emails/ credit card statements to show what you *actually* paid in total, in case it’s necessary.

Things can get confused

• ChrisC says:

This is just the way they do it. It’s not mischievious or nefarious.

And no you won’t lose your £750 because they can sse the vouchers have been applied in the background. And even if they did get it wrong in the first place you have the emails to show what you did with your vouchers.

• mr_jetlag says:

Not nefarious or mischievous at all. Your original booking email should have the total cost which gets reduced with each applied voucher. You can test this by asking for an evoucher for the total trip – it will be what you originally paid.

• DAJ says:

Thanks all for your replies/info which is reassuring.

Having not had experience of this, it just set off some alarm bells but clearly this is just how they process the vouchers. It was my belief it would show as an extra payment rather than reduce the initial price but I stand corrected!

• Harry T says:

It’s just how they process the vouchers and display the changes.

• Graham D says:

Not sure if already mentioned but BA to fly to the Azores from July 2022. Bookable online now.

Ponta Delgada (PDL) commencing 2 July, 1 x per week and Terceira (TER) starting 10 July 1 x per week.

• Philip says:

Total madness that BA are not answering phone calls and they have cancelled a booking that I cannot change online.

• Alex says:

Seeing as a lot of people on here will potentially have significant amounts of LH M&M miles expire on Dec 31 this year, what are the alternatives to using them in the WorldShop (around 1/3 value in EUR so worse in GBP)? Is the Heathrow Rewards voucher redemption route still open? Think that worked out to a similarly miserable redemption rate though…

• Rob says:

7500 miles for £20 of Heathrow shopping vouchers. Pretty dismal.

You could try the Lufty hotel booking portal but I doubt the value is much better.

• Allan says:

Any news on another card or way to extend these?

• Alex says:

Yeah – the Heathrow Rewards vouchers seem to be similarly bad value; maybe even worse than WorldShop.

I have 150k miles in my account but no plans to use them anytime soon for longhaul travel (best bet from London is probably US west coast on United, but who knows when the US border will open), and SH on LH is a joke in terms of pricing.

• Ikaz says:

Mine expire at the end of September, the best deal that I found is amazon voucher, same rate as Heathrow rewards I think

• Mouse says:

Surely worth holding on to them for a bit longer in case something better comes up or some kind of expiey date extension from LH?

If forced to use mine I would go for one of those clocks made from reclaimed aircraft parts in the M&M catalogue.

• Mr. AC says:

Wishful thinking with M&M. I don’t think they offered any sort of extension at any point during Covid. Had to cash out via Amazon (Heathrow Rewards was broken).

• Benilyn says:

Re Amex, When you move credit limit from one card to another, how often can you do it – is there a number days I need to wait to do it again?

• Ja says:

This is interesting. I didn’t know you could do it. How do you do it, how long does it take and will they definitely do it.

Thanks

• Sina says:

Bit of a niche question, but am hoping someone might know!?

I have a redemption flight to Phuket, by SQ, they have changed my return leg, which means I have to stay at SIn (airside) for 10 hours!

Is there any scenario in which SQ agrees to change my final destination to Istanbul instead of LHR because of this change?

I’m SQ Gold if that means anything!?

• Sam G says:

have you checked if there is a better London connection available? The only way I see them changing to Istanbul is if there are redemption seats available

Gold is nothing to SQ – need PPS before you are worthy of any special treatment and even then they’re very by the book IME!

• marcw says:

Why don’t you call and ask what your options are? I’m 99% sure they are happy to listen to you and find a more suitable option.

• Sam G says:

one tip is to chose the Mandarin option on the phone early in the morning UK time- this should get you to Singapore call centre (they’ll speak English) where you’ll have your best hope of getting some flexibility

• Sina says:

Thanks, everyone, will give them a call!

• Memesweeper says:

The online chat service is fantastic. If you get to the point where they can’t help online (eg taking a credit card payment) *they* call *you*. No risk of wasted time. Take note BA!

• Nick G says:

Anybody know how long roughly the bonus MR points for hitting £15k on the Amex gold take to post to the account before I cancel? Ta