Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 15th September

Comments (421)

• Nathaniel says:

Hi. I currently have Amex Platinum Business, for which I received sign up bonus a few months ago.

We are eligible for sign up bonus for the following personal cards as our 24 month period has elapsed:
    BA Amex/Platinum (for myself) and Platinum for my partner

In an ideal scenario I would refer my partner for Amex Platinum to take advantage of 18k MR referral and current sign up bonus of 60k MR points. However we are in the process of moving house which will likely complete by December – I did not think it was wise to apply for new credit to jeopardise mortgage application.

I am reluctant to continue paying £50 per month for my Amex business platinum as not really using any of the benefits (and I have capital on tap card to earn avios on current spend). Spoke to amex retentions who would not offer any incentive to stay.

Was hoping for advice on strategy moving forwards – to cancel Amex business platinum (to get pro rata refund) and start cycle for personal cards once I have moved house (but missing out on self referral bonus by referring wife)?

• DI says:

Large meeting room hire in London?

I would like to hire a large (30 people) meeting room (does not need to be formal, but should be private) in London for an evening (say 6pm to 10pm). My budget is around £200.

Is this possible at all? Any recommendations?

Thanks

• James says:

Hi, Anyone have any ideas what/when BA are going to do with 2-4-1 voucher expiry dates? I have two vouchers due to expire Jun22 (already extended 6mths) & Dec23, still too few options to use them. If BA continues to extend expiry date, will they also allow accumulation of more than 2 vouchers?

• KZ says:

@anyone who may be interested – managed to get enrolled on the Hyatt Explorist status challenge (10 nights to retain status until Feb 2023, 20 nights for Globalist). Contacted the Director of Sales and Marketing of the local property, who, although initially mistakenly believed the offer was only for corporate members, enrolled me after I gave him details of the promotional period – members have until 31st of December to complete the challenge (during which they will have Explorist).

• Sean says:

Data Point:
    Today for Morrisons transactions that I made on 1st/2nd 3rd September, the cashback has appeared on the savings tab of my offers – so expect them to post to the account shortly. I did raise a “ticket” for them via chat agent.

• Andrew H says:

Whereabouts is that? I am looking at Shops Away and can’t see ANY record of my Mozzers uses.

I guess I’m not looking in the same place as there is no chat agent in Shops Away

• Andrew H says:

Whereabouts is that? I am looking at SA and can’t see ANY record of my Mozzers uses.

I guess I’m not looking in the same place as there is no chat agent in SA

• Peter K says:

It’s not sh0ps away. It’s on your desktop amex under the offers section.

It’s not showing for me from the 1st. I’ll call again and get them to raise it as a ticket.

• Flying Misfit says:

Re: Finnair website MMB being used to view and alter oneworld airline bookings, does anyone know if any of the Star Alliance carriers allows for something similar?

• r* says:

What would be the best option for PCR test needed for the weekend? Is the 3 hour collinson test at LHR pretty much the only option this close?

Would it be safe to do the test on the same day of the flight or is there a risk of the 3 hours not being 3 hours?

• TGLoyalty says:

There are plenty of in person 48hr tests offered by expresstest, Randox and collinson depending on where you live.

They usually come back over night.

• David says:

Hope to be emigrating outside the UK in the next few weeks.

Does anyone have any experience of how Amex Global Transfer works? Has HfP written anything on the subject?

I know we have some Aussie commenters here, would you recommend migrating my Amex MR balance to the AU MR scheme when set up there?

• Reney says:

I used this 5 years ago when I worked a few years in the US. I had to keep one of my UK card opened for it to work. Called up US amex when I arrived in the US, and told them I want to open a card using the global transfer scheme since I had no credit rating in the US. I answered a bunch of questions and they opened a card for me. Can’t remember what they asked or what else I provided thou. I did not move any points over as part of it.

• Rui N. says:

You can just do it online, it’s super easy. But please note you can get rejected – it happened to me when moving from the US to the UK; my wife, who was unemployed at the time was approved though (I already a job in the UK).

• Sam G says:

Singapore advised me not to do it as I wouldn’t be eligible for sign up bonuses. Getting credit there is quite easy though once you’ve got three months payslips/bank statements to be able to send in

• Reney says:

I got the SUB in the US but their standard one, not the special uplifted one that sometimes appear on other sites.

• bafan says:

I got the SUB too for the first card I did Global Transfer on. Looks lame compared to US bonuses now but I have made up for it with other cards since I guess.

• John says:

Amex refused to open a card for my friend who was unemployed. If you’re a British citizen with a job offer and visa you should be ok, as for moving the points have a look at what the MR transfer partners are…