Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 15th September

Comments (421)

• JanM says:

Does anyone know a good way of working out your fee-free limit on FX transactions on my Curve card? The 500 pound limit is calculated on a rolling basis, I believe.

• Rob says:

Question about Emirates skywards redemptions:

I’m looking at their scheduled one way LHR – DXB – BKK -HKG.

I understand with the redemption that a stopover is allowed on one way, however would I be allowed to stop at both DXB and BKK? Or would it be one or the other.

From my reading, I believe stopping on the 5th freedom leg (at BKK) is definitely permitted either way.

TIA

• berneslai says:

Anybody MCOL’d lastminute.com before? They’ve ignored an LBA from me and now need to move on to legal action.

• SteveJ says:

Depends what for, I did for an airline booking, joint MCOL both the airline and LM. LM wriggled out of it. Suggest you put both LM and the underlying airline/hotel/car hire (delete as applicable) on the claim

• berneslai says:

Flight booking with “insurance” backed by LM. I’ve kept to their cancellation T&C’s but they’ve refused to refund anyway. I’ve just claimed against their Hatton Gardens address – hopefully that’s the right one.

• LS says:

If its an insurance product, I would just put a claim in with the financial ombudsman service. Free, charged to the insurer, and no risk to you (you can still MCOL if you don’t like the result)

• HBommie says:

Amex SLH £100 offer from 90 days ago not credited, rang to check why it’s taking so long and was told it can be 90 days after the end of the offer period, which will be 6 months after the stay!
    What’s your longest wait for an offer from Amex?

• Super Secret Stuff says:

If it doesn’t post within the first 30 days I screenshot it so when I go through and clear out the rubbish on my phone I get prompted to do it. Last year I claimed for a winter Shop Small credit whilst the summer one was going on. That’s at least 7 months?

• Rob says:

Earlier this year my wife split a Boss purchase across 2 cards. One credited next day, the other months later – probably after a manual reconciliation. We never raised a complaint ourselves.

• SteveJ says:

Hilton statuses extended to March 2023 and points expiry extended to end of 2022.

Just in via email from HH.

• SteveJ says:

“To truly offer the flexibility you need when you’re planning travel, we’re extending Hilton Honors benefits again. All elite status will be extended through March 2023. All of your 2021 nights will rollover to next year, your Points won’t expire until the end of 2022, and status tier requirements will also continue to be lower. These extensions are global so no matter where you are in the world, you can count on these benefits as you dream about your next travel memories”

• Blair says:

I find the nights/stays distinction confusing. Not sure if any change today to rollover nights. Prior to today, only nights earned in 2021 were rolled over (as in, 2020 nights were not). I’m not now sure if 2020 nights that rolled into 2021 now roll again into 2022.

• Steve says:

Thinking of buying a new iPad mini – is there any obvious discount/offer that I should be aware of on buying Apple products?

• JM says:

Anyone used Eurofins for Day 2 test? Coming up as one of the cheapest at £20 if doing drive through, but seems lot cheaper than the others which make me dubious…

• bill says:

Is there a website that i can see all flights that are scheduled to depart from BFS (late Octber). I know that flightradar24.com will give me a few days in advance – but i was hoping for maybe 2 weeks or more