Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 20th September

Comments (509)

• elguiri says:

Is it just me, or is the link for converting nectar to avios (on the ba page) not working? I get Bad Gateway error both on laptop and phone…tried it over the weekend and this morning.

• John says:

That error happens intermittently

• Rahaney says:

Is the avios->nectar working online at all. I always get the we are sending you an email, then nothing… (email address is correct to ba obvs)
      Ta

• mutley says:

I have a half term trip to Barbados booked, am I right in thinking that after the 14 nights, currently I can enter the US, having had an appropriate test?

• zanderblue says:

No, I don’t believe you are correct there. You will still need a negative test befire being allowed to board flight for US. You will also need 15 nights and not 14.

• Alex M says:

Submitted a claim to ba asking for reimbursement of expenses (ca. 60£) for cancelled flight and received this from them:
    “Thanks for contacting us about your claim for expenses for your cancelled flight.

BA0881 on 30 August 2021 was cancelled on 05 August 2021, more than 14 days before the flight was planned to operate.

Under Article 9 of EC Regulation 261/2004, we are not liable to pay compensation or expenses if a flight is cancelled more than 14 days in advance and the customer is informed of the cancellation.”
    Looks like they want it hard way…

• stevenhp1987 says:

I have a case in with CEDR for this exact issue. Their entire response was a bad copy and paste of the rules.

Awaiting a result, supposedly by 29th September.

• Lady London says:

They lose.
        Duty of care always payable.
        No matter what the reason for flight cancellation.
        No matter how long ahead it’s cancelled. Even 354 days or more.
        Just make sure you keep the record of their refusal and go straight online to do a moneyclaim dot gov dot uk.
        Don’t be kind to them since BA is so blatantly intending to deny your rights in such an open and shut case. Claim every penny for any extra accommodation, transport, meals and refreshments due to their cancrllation. Then, as this is such a blatant policy by BA disregarding the law, add 8%pa pro rata statutory interest to the lot, submit claim.

• stevenhp1987 says:

Oh, don’t worry, I am. I don’t expect them to win. I was happy to wait a few months for payment as I’m not fussed about cash flow.

They don’t normally pick up the tab for alcohol when they do pay out, but I’ve a bottle of wine on my restaurant expense 😀

They never bothered moaning about it.

Relevant for the op, I used some of this to form my complaint with them at CEDR: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/30279665#Comment_30279665

Makes it abundantly clear that Duty of Care is payable. BA will drag it out.

• Mikeact says:

Trouble brewing ?

Aer Lingus reducing cabin crew hours and pay to 60pcAer Lingus has announced it is reducing its cabin crew working hours and pay to 60pc and is warning that layoffs are imminent.
    The unilateral action from the company comes after staff voted in a ballot against voluntary redundancies and changes to work practices.

And what with BA threatening to pull out of Gatwick if they can’t operate a ‘low cost’ operation…

• Michael C says:

With massive thanks to @rob and all the posters, just back from Sheraton Park Lane intern stay!
    The room was indeed spectacular, but without wanting to be an ungratetul wretch (!), there were a couple of things which I think someone paying top whack might have brought up:
    -Not the hotel’s fault, but room not available till 1458h (we arrived in the morning, but I guess if they’re full, they’re full)
    -No-one explained/mentioned lounge facilities or breakfast
    -Room was freeeezing: an engineer came and clunked around with a ladder, said it had to be fixed from the roof (?!). It did improve later, but no-one actually checked back
    -The insane Japanese toilet was far more trouble than it was worth, and completely blocked on last morning, overflowing onto the floor!
    -Again not hotel’s fault, but massive pity the balcony doors don’t open (especially as there’s a sign saying “please close both sets of doors”, suggesting they had done previously)
    -Possibly “covid, covid”, but no turndown (and no-one on duty in the lounge)

And having said all that….who the heck cares! Will be unlikely to stay in many more rooms like that (well, until our Nov. stay under same conditions for Winter Wonderland!), despite the 7-yr old saying “This is a GREAT room – we should do this again!” I followed up by extolling the (fully warranted) virtues of Premier Inn.

• Reney says:

Overflowing toilet 😱, I would not say you are being ungrateful at all!

• The Savage Squirrel says:

7-yr old saying “This is a GREAT room – we should do this again!” That did make me laugh. ALL subsequent accommodation will now receive withering comparisons to this room from C jr 🤣

• Isherwood says:

Due to a family emergency a couple of years ago my 6 year olds were the surprise addition to their parents romantic weekend at the Conrad Algarve. They were very pleased to be guests. In particular, the TV in the bathroom was a huge hit. They often ask when can they return, why they haven’t been back. (I do my special face) And they always rush into a hotel bathroom hoping for a TV, only to be cruelly denied. Bless them.

• Tracy says:

If I have a hotel booking for one night on 31st December, checking out 1st January, which year will this night post to? 2021 or 2022? It will be my Marriott night to get me to 50, maybe 😂

• Alan says:

I will be booking a couple of double point tier runs tomorrow with the aim of getting to Silver (from 0). Currently looking at one trip to Bucharest (5nights +car hire) followed by a two night one to Sofia. I did consider adding a Manchester Connection on but living in Surrey it’s just too much of a PITA.

Has anyone got a better ideas, ideally I would like to hit the target in one trip, using the sort of multi city trip (I have no experience of booking these) experienced tier runners seem to find.

Thanks

• Beardless Hipster says:

Just do Bucharest in C 3 times. Doable from last weekend of October onwards Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning back, sleepover at the Garden Inn. Sofia is currently inaccessible from the UK unless you’re a Bulgarian national.

• Rich says:

Two nights too SOF won’t get you double TPs. You need minimum 5 nights.

You’d earn 320 for the first trip and 160 for the second, so

Don’t think you can do a multi city with BA Hols

• Louie says:

Express Test in person fit to fly PCR testing – £80 at Bluewater. I see discounts are advertised using either code BA21 or Virgin21 but I can’t find out how much without creating an account, which I’d rather not do if the discounts are insignificant (Boots instead!). Does anyone know how what % the discounts are?

• Louie says:

Set up an account in the end. Turns out the best discount is EMIRATES10, which gives £10 off.