Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 23rd September

Comments (529)

• Andrew H says:

Any way of moving a small amount of Avios from a dormant account to an active one?

Just noticed they added 1 avios at the start of September to keep it alive for 12 months.

• John says:

Join a household, move everything but the exact amount needed for a redemption to avios.com. FTVs give you more options too

• gc812 says:

Received an email this morning from BA notifying me that my First return from MIA in October was cancelled. Rang You First (2-3 minutes wait) and ‘froze’ the outbound flight so it wouldn’t register as no show. Inquired about rebooking timelines and was told that the trip must be completed within 12 months of the ticketed date which is obviously almost a year ago already this being a reward flight.
    I believe process now is wait until flights both ways for next October are available, ring to book, get refused, complain to Customer Services, get refused, and then off to CEDR?
    I will be looking to book 15.10.22-29.10.22 so my outbound will be 1 day inside this year’s outbound.

• Sam G says:

Yes pretty much that. The policy seems to go back and forth so you might get lucky when you call back in Oct

• SC says:

I called up when my flight were cancelled in August and was told wait until your dates become available. Called back to book this month and my flights have been archived and they can’t retrieve them. It has been escalated but been almost a week of calling and being told they are looking at it.

• stairali says:

I am trying to book multi-city Air Canada flights but I get an error message and I am told to call an international number (with no UK alternative) to remedy it. I can get the same flights on Expedia without issue. However, would you steer clear of booking flights through third parties still?

• KJT says:

There are various versions of the Air Canada web site. Look for air Canada > aca on Google . Change the location to U.K. from USA and you get the multi city option. Used it two days ago without a problem,

• stairali says:

I am using the UK version and although I can search for the flights and select them, when I get to the final page I get a technical error.

• John says:

I wouldn’t use Expedia unless the flight was in less than 2 weeks and I thought it had 99% chance of going ahead

• The Original Nick. says:

Amex offers: Spend at Marriott – across my Platinum, BA and Nectar cards. Different Participating locations too.

• Shaw West says:

Grrrr. 10 cards and no new Marriott offer on any of them

• TGLoyalty says:

Anecdotal buy wonder if the original Nick is a resident in the London area and shaw west isn’t.

• Shaw West says:

Thats an interesting observation. Profiling and segmenting the offers based on location and not spend. Wow!

• TGLoyalty says:

It was the same for last years £400 off £400. The vast majority were London based … looks like they’ve used a similar logic this time.

• Andy D says:

Yorkshire, I have the 50/200 offer from the other day (gold cc) but not today’s (nothing on plat or BA)

• The Original Nick says:

Dubai today! 🤣

• KBuffett says:

Different locations on different cards?

• TGLoyalty says:

Two offers £50 off £200 (non luxury) and £100 off £400 (luxury brands)

• Dave says:

I’m in Scotland and didn’t get the 50/200 offer but did get the 100/400 luxury offer.
        Rather useless as the luxury ones are nearly all in London. I’ve been Bonvoyed!

• Laura says:

I have 50/200 for Bonvoy. I’m not in London but down there quite a bit

• Harry T says:

More London Amex privilege haha

• Andrew H says:

Do any spends through linked cards at Nectar ever appear?!

• TGLoyalty says:

Not sure I understand the question. Is this re nectar connect?

• Andrew H says:

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Assuming you have waited 25 days? I’ve had the same problem, email customer support with screenshots of your purchases. Note it is the first purchase that counts so pick the biggest! They will add manually and advise to delete the banking connection and reconnect

• Andrew H says:

Ah, no, 20 days I think…

Patience!

(I guess Airtime is similar, though I had a Boots one credit in 2 or 3 days)

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Nectar connect uses open banking so is a lot more reliable but sometimes the connection doesn’t establish properly

• Andrew says:

Yes, worked first time.

Make sure they are still linked, they expire automatically after 90 days and I wasn’t able to renew my Amex access until it had expired.

• Rich says:

Just looking at my Nectar account now, and any reference to Connect seem to have completely disappeared!

• Axel says:

Welcome and overdue improvements to the Amex offers on the Android App this morning, simple green checkbox to show which offers you’ve signed up to.

• Peter K says:

It’s much better isn’t it.

• Toaster says:

Is that much of an improvement? There was always (and still is) a button/tab which showed the offers saved.

What would be much more helpful is to hide offers you have already looked at but are not interested in or at least the new offers to be highlighted in some way so you can spot them without having to scan through dozens of old offers.

• Graham Walsh says:

What would be better if it was the first 10k cardholders to use it rather than save it. Then have a Save All button.

• Andrew says:

Barclays CB Rewards.

The first tranche all expired for me yesterday, so a quick look this morning to see what has appeared:-

Boots – 10%, Mac – 12%, Thortful – 10%

Not exactly inspiring.

• KG says:

good morning all – need to rebook some BA cancelled flights….

I had read that they are being a little more flexible of date of ticketing vs date of flying. But then has this changed again?

Anyone have any advice on where/when to call…I’ve got hung up on for days in a row now.

Thanks for your help and advice

KG