Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 28th September

Comments (516)

• CramondBen says:

Day 2 PCR test @£19.99, provided by Biograd at MAN, Bootle and Warrington clinics

• His Holyness says:

PagoFX closing (Santander product)

• Wollhouse says:

i am planning to travel with a friend using one of my 241 vouchers. I have enough Avios, but she’s now seen the error of her ways and started collecting miles too:) If I wanted to use some of her miles rather than all mine to pay for our 241 redemption, should I add her to my household account (we can make the addresses work to allow this) or is there a way to use some of her Avios (with her permission) during a booking? What’s the best way? conscious the BA IT changes mean I need to add to household quickly if that’s rhe best route! Thanks

• BJ says:

Nectar transfer, but that will take 10+ days to get her avios to you. HHA is simplest and quickest.

• Wollhouse says:

Thanks BJ. Will look at both.

• Wollhouse says:

Sorry – just to be clear- if I go the nectar route. She has a gold card- she converts to her nectar card, then she is able to convert/transfer to MY BA account? (As Avios.com is no more)

That might be cleaner as it’s a one off whereas if I put her into a household account, I believe I can’t remove her for 6 months (or as long as their IT takes;) so I’d use a portion of her miles on any further redemptions- correct?? Thanks

• Connor says:

Convert to Avios, then Nectar. You get a worse value if you convert to Nectar directly.

• ChrisC says:

Yes that’s correct. Whilst she is in your HHA any redemptions you make will also come pro rata from her account as well. And ditto with any redemption bookings she makes.

• BJ says:

To be clear you first mentioned converting miles hence I suggested her BAEC avios to a Nectar account to your BAEC account. That has mothing to do with amex cc. You then muddied the waters a little by replying in relation to amex cc. In that case Connor is correct, if she is transferring MR points then she should take those to Nectar via BAEC, not directly to Nectar. That done, you then proceed as I first suggested. Reports suggest that BAEC-Nectar transfers are typically taking 12-13 days, not the advertised 10 days.

• Wollhouse says:

Thank you everyone, Think I’ll do this as we have the time. And who knows how long household IT changes (and rollbacks!j will really take BA;)

• Iain says:

Hello all.

I asked this last night but it was late on and will have been missed by most.

I have a reward flight coming up in a couple of weeks.
    I also have 2 e-vouchers for a decent combined total from the promotion from a few weeks back.

Does anyone know if I could use those vouchers to add a hotel to my reward booking?

I have saw that you can use them for BA holidays but only if you phone them.

I just got through on the Avios line to ask. The agent said it wasn’t possible, though she did say she would transfer me to cash sales to ask before promptly cutting me off.

Can anyone advise if they believe I should be able to do this? Someone who did respond last night thought I should be able to.

I know that agents can sometimes be wrong…

Thoughts?

• Clive says:

Are all cars members allowed access to the Amex Lounge at the O2? Going to a concert next month and already have tickets booked.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

We (me and OH) were both gold when we used it for bring me the horizon. Staff didnt give a monkeys about 1 per card and gave us 5 tickets

• DaveL says:

Hi folks – can you use IC amb free night on a Thur/Fri stay (ie does that count as a weekend)?

• Richie says:

They could just take bmibaby off the shelf and with WW gone there would be no confusion.

• ChrisBCN says:

Not that interesting, he clearly has a column to fill with little content so he’s making it all up…

• Memesweeper says:

Absolutely. BA / IAG are clearly keen to keep these slots off the open market.

• Matthew says:

Any tips for a fit to fly RT-PCR test in the Rotherham/Sheffield area? Friend needs one -72hrs for travel to Dubai and is struggling to find somewhere close/suitable. Thanks 👍

• Sandra says:

Do a Google search – fit to fly pcr Sheffield (or similar) it should bring up any in the area. Did a quick one & it brings up Abbeydale pharmacy on Abbeydale road in Sheffield but you/friends would have to read reviews (for that or any others) & see what is suitable!

• Tracey says:

Biograd at Manchester airport?