Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 28th September

Comments (516)

• Scott says:

Any half decent JFK hotels?
    Flying in around 9:10pm, and next day flight at 11am.
    Most hotels seem to be dodgy, be in dodgy areas, and/or mixed reviews.
    Something easy to get to and from.

Originally thought the TWA Hotel for its proximity and novelty called, but not enough time to take advantage of it, and the latest reviews aren’t great especially for $250+ a night.

• AL says:

The Crowne Plaza is okay. My other go-to is the TWA, but it seems to be full of rooftop selfie takers the last two times I’ve been.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

It’s one night at JFK. It’s not going to be great; just set your expectations accordingly 😀 . If you don’t want to leave the (somewhat unlovely) area then just stay at the Hilton or Crowne Plaza or whatever and take your medicine.
      If you don’t mind travelling just one mile away, the shiny new Hyatt Regency is likely to be more interesting than a predictably bland bunch, and you can lose all your money in the casino to pass the time 😉

• Rich says:

A whopping 50 Avios wys £1 has just appeared on my BA Amex. Don’t all rush at once!

• mark2 says:

I applied for Amex Nectar card a few days ago to get last referral on wife’s Plat before cancellation. I was declined on the spot; I then received an email:
    ‘Thank you for your recent application for an American Express® Card. As a responsible lender, we continually review the maximum number of cards we offer to our customers to ensure both parties have a service that is appropriate and manageable.

Currently, we only accept applications from customers who have less than four credit products with American Express®. Our records show that you do not meet this criteria and we are therefore unable to continue with your most recent application.

If you would like us to reconsider your most recent application, you will need to close at least one of your current credit products. In order to do this, please call 0800 032 7404 quoting your application reference number at the top of this page and we will be happy to help.

If, however, you would prefer to maintain your existing arrangements, then no further action is necessary.’

This was surprising because I had cancelled an old card before applying and it was clearly shown as closed on online account.

I rang the number and they still claimed that I had four cards; back office to sort.

I only report this because there has been previous discussion about card number limits, but it may vary according to income.

• Dave says:

Hilton properties in Bristol – all three are 30,000 points.

Garden Inn, Doubletree, or Hampton? Any thoughts on which one is best?

• StevieKicks says:

With Creation:
    What happens if my statement is generated, points transferred to IHG, and then I receive a refund onto the card. I’d assume negative points balance on the card, but would they actually get clawed back from IHG?

• Ryanfozzie says:

London Hotel Pricing….

Morning all, any idea why hotel in London are priced at the highest I’ve seen for Sat 2nd to Sun 3rd October (this weekend) in the last 18 months? Several big IHG/Hilton hotels are actually sold out (and yes, they are open).

Tourists returning or a massive event I don’t know of?

Thanks!

• Mikeact says:

Save hanging on the phone…anybody have an update on Lloyds/Avios vouchers…..still end of October deadline for booking ?

• johnny_c-l says:

I asked them on live chat earlier and they said they are not extending further than October…..”This is due to the world opening up for many of out members”.

• davefl says:

Just spotted this from “Social Joel” on the bendy forum:

Hey everyone, thanks for the healthy discussion on this here and I’m sorry for any confusion caused by this email- I’m here to clear that confusion up!

First off, I can confirm that our team made a mistake when bulk selecting which customers this email should be sent to which means that the email’s contents won’t apply to all Curve users who received the email. Speaking on behalf of Curve, we’re very sorry for this error and are working to contact the recipients of this email to clarify this mistake as fast as possible.

In the meantime, if you’re unsure whether the email’s contents applied to you and your spending or not, please get in touch with our support team just in case by raising a ticket in the Curve app- the support team can then check there if they need to discuss this further with you or simply owe you a big apology!

• Anna says:

However, if you do query it we will demand to see all your personal banking info or shut you down!

• John says:

I haven’t done much ernie but I did withdraw everything a few months ago because I needed to use the money – they’ll probably claim it’s cash recycling so I guess I’ll just leave it