Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 28th September

Comments (516)

• Mjshort says:

Ryan gave me an octopus referral code which I have asked them to apply after I opened up the account.
    They have asked for his address and postcode!
    Is Ryan around?

• Craig says:

Anyone got a link for the Creation/IHG overseas transaction free offer that ends today. Going to take a punt on a hotel bill in half an hour after this weekends transactions went through without a fee.

• Andrew H says:

Huge Avios offer on free BA…

Spend £1 anywhere, get 50 Avios

• Oh! Matron! says:

Marriott Vacation club: Had an email through suggesting 15K points if I use one of those “tester” holidays at discounted rates.

However, there’s also the “virtual” option, which sounds like a no brainer. Any gotchas, other than falling asleep, I should be aware of?

• Anuj says:

Is it possible for someone to sign up to this without having an email come through ?

• Sean says:

Only open to couples and both will need to attend for the full period – done via MS teams.

• TJ says:

I did the virtual pitch a while back. An easy 15k points. Only took about 40mins and my wife did not have to attend. For the record, the sales proposition was exceptionally poor. Even if you were in the market for a time share, the numbers just did not add up.

• Dave says:

I got the same email and deleted it but maybe it’s worth a look, 15000 points for 40 mins zoom call sounds pretty good!

• Oh! Matron! says:

Thanks peeps!

• Paasan69 says:

Hello. Wondering if others have similar experiences. I’ve recently had a few stays with Marriott properties (Moxy, Sheraton, Marriott) and they all seem to undercut the points that should be awarded. Latest example is from a UK Marriott property where the total spend before VAT was £124 ($169 approximately). I’ve been awarded 557 base points and 278 bonus as a Platinum member (+2.5k for promotion and welcome gift). I do believe that the correct amount should be 1690 base and 845 bonus. This was the worst example but all my other 5 recent stays the experience is the same, all stays when converting to USD, the base and bonus points are WAY off and never in my favour. I will naturally contact Marriott CS to have it corrected. Just wondering if anyone else has similar experiences?

• Harry T says:

Happens fairly often tbh.

• TJ says:

Very common in my experience. Occasionally it works in your favour.

• Tariq says:

Yes, I had one last week which was under-credited. Not as wide as your variance though, but will still email them to request reassessment.

• meta says:

I have this happening with IHG every time. They just don’t convert to USD, but never in currencies which are in dominations of 100s or 1000s only euros or pounds. 😂

• Paasan69 says:

Under-crediting at Marriott properties now seems more like the rule than the exception. Had a look at previous stays from this spring and I’d say that 4 out of 5 of these stays have been under-credited. It is a real shame, not to mention annoying, that one has to contact Marriott CS after nearly every stay to make sure you receive the correct amount of points. It may vary between a few hundred up to several thousands for a stay. This in turn may amount to many thousands of missing points over a year.

• HughM says:

The sergeant-major style of Creation Customer Services is often a source of free amusement, so here is the latest (it refers to the free IHG card):
    “We note that your account hasn’t been active for a while and in the interest of data security, we don’t keep customer data longer than necessary. Therefore, we are providing 60 days’ notice for you to make transactions on your account otherwise it will be closed after this period had elapsed.
    Once your account has been closed, you will not be able to use your card or reactivate your account. If after this time, you want to apply for credit, you will have to make a new application which will be subject to the same credit and fraud checks as a new customer…”
    At least they found my name this time, and it wasn’t a text message. Progress.

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Data security?! I’d buy credit risk or fraud risk, but I’m not convinced that closing your account will help with data security.

• Lady London says:

Seems a bit pathetic.

Is Creation in such a precarious financial position that they need to manage issued credit lines this closely? And they have no more sophisticated tools that give them statistical predictions for what % of issued credit will actually be used?

As a non-finance person is this not a bit worrying? Who owns Creation? Is it BNP?

• Jamil says:

Quick question: Any news or likelihood of BA extending companion vouchers considering mine expires soon?

• Anuj says:

If you extend a 241 voucher using the ftv method, what date is it extended to? Mine currently expires feb 2023