Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 28th September

Comments (516)

• Anna says:

Can someone please remind me – spend on the premium IHG card for Spire, is it card year or Calendar? I have a £12k final payment on a car due next April, I was going to start paying it off in chunks but may leave till Jan as we are both already Spire for 2022.

• Bobri says:

What us the right tactics to have the 195 fee for the HSBC premier card refunded? Chat was not helpful, call centre is?

• Reney says:

I called and have a nice word with them saying I heard they were waiving fee due to lack of travel. Apparently mine has been waived but it won’t show till next statement LS reported seeing it the next day.

• HBommie says:

is this for a new cardholder or existing?

• Reney says:

Existing holders are being waived, I’m new.

• Reney says:

They were sending cards out with fee= £0. Not sure if that was still happening.

• Hotinnewcastlesays says:

Was the £0 quoted on the upgrade letter that you have to return to HSBC when you request the upgrade from the free Card to the paid card, or is this on a separate letter they send when the card has been approved?

• Bigmaggot says:

I took a chance and applied this month, letter said £0 annual fee. Phoned Saturday and asked why I’ve been charged £195, hard to email copy of letter to agent, fee showing as refund on card today. 🙂

• Hotinnewcastlesays says:

Lets see if i have any luck, applied this month too, awaiting card! Good to know, they accepted your challenge but easier with proof

• Sprout says:

Email just received from ba exec..
    That seems to be a very long period!

We wanted to let you know that we’ll shortly be carrying out some planned improvements to the Executive Club, which means you’ll be unable to access your Household Account during the period below.

Between 4 October 2021 and 17 November 2021 inclusive, you’ll be unable to complete the following actions on ba.com or by calling us:
    Add another Member to your Household Account
    Remove a Member from your Household Account
    Amend personal or contact details of any Members in the Household Account
    Set up a new Household Account

If you do need to make any updates to your account, please do so before 4 October 2021, or after 17 November 2021. We appreciate your patience while we make these improvements to the Executive Club.

With best wishes,
    Your Executive Club team

• Anna says:

This makes me really annoyed as they should really be concentrating any IT improvements on making it possible again to get refunds online and also to be able to use FTVs without spending an hour on hold on the phone 😡

• Aston100 says:

Six weeks to implement some IT changes?

• Anna says:

It’s making me think now that there may be some kind of audit planned. Maybe focusing on people who suddenly start making amendments to their accounts in the next week? I could be overthinking it though!

• Toby says:

Just got this too – it’s bananas. What are they doing?

How does it take so long? It’s not like I’ve done any of those things for years, but I’m gobsmacked at how long they need to do IT work.

• CarpalTravel says:

Just had mine through. Feels to me more like a blockout period, as if they are trying to avoid people combining accounts, making it slightly harder for people to make use their Avios as they won’t be able to club together.

Really short notice for a long duration. Find it hard to believe it is it audit related, they will have a separate datawarehouse they could use for that sort of thing. IT change wise, well if they had to freeze this then there would be a lot of other things that would need blocking too.

Thing is it is BA IT related, it could be that they have an app running on a WinXP machine and need to migrate it….

• Lady London says:

“planned improvements” to BA Exec Club?

Uh-oh.

• Mikeact says:

No problem for me at all…if it’s improvements, including security and weeding out any particular ‘naughty’ behavior, then so be it. Whatever, there will be loads of moans on here, before….(now)…..and after,…inevitable.

• James says:

My BA 77W seat map on the seat selection screen has CW from rows 5-24 but I can’t seem to find any seat map on seat guru which corresponds to this. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? It’s a 4 class setup.

• Augustiner says:

Any views on the quickest way to hit the £6K target on the Amex platinum? I’ve reset the 24 months recently so am free to sign up but on current outgoings could take a while to hit 6K

• Anna says:

Council tax, if applicable. Gift cards. Amazon credit Xmas isn’t that far off.

• Rosie says:

You can do PayPal friends and family however one would be careful doing this , 1 off is ok however if you do this numerous times PayPal/Amex could close account

• Augustiner says:

Has anyone done this for a one off large transaction?

• Vit says:

Yes, 1st time £900 paying a guy on Facebook marketplace. 2nd time, £1500 paying an electrician. They are one year apart though.

• CarpalTravel says:

HMRC tax bills, if applicable.

Pay via Billhop (2.95% charge) so do your sums to see if it is worth it Vs the monthly cost of the card, assuming you want to cancel ASAP and get the pro-rata refund.

• Jody says:

Following our wonderful (yes really!) experience at Luton last week, the experience at Ibiza was not so good. Didn’t help that I was feeling fragile, as we’d had to arrange having our cat put to sleep following a horrific self-inflicted incident (my adult kids were cat sitting so fortunately he wasn’t on his own).

Found it a bit odd that there was no speedy boarding line or line for easyJet plus customers, it was just one line for everyone. Had to get someone’s attention to get through, as had been dumped and left by special assistance. Wouldn’t have been happy if I’d paid for speedy boarding though. They didn’t seem to be checking the size of anyone’s hand luggage though, good news for some I’m sure. Had no problem taking my small suitcase through (I had got it noted on the booking that I had medical equipment in just in case, but I needn’t have bothered).

The whole thing just seemed to be a complete free for all. I also got shouted at by someone who should know better (one of the special assistance workers) for using the accessible toilet. I’m sure he didn’t expect to have the reaction he got (as I said, I was feeling fragile) but I was very annoyed and upset. It’s clear he thought that only people in wheelchairs were entitled to use that toilet, didn’t enter his head that there could be all kinds of other reasons why someone else would need to use it.

Anyway, cat and airport drama aside, we had a nice weekend away just relaxing and enjoying the warm weather.

• Anna says:

Glad it was mostly enjoyable, Jody, and sorry about the card. Hopefully you’re now planning another nice trip!

• Mikeact says:

Strange, so many people on here really happy with EasyJet. We’re off to Ibiza next week with BA…be interesting to note any differences with assistance.

• Reney says:

Jody on my easy jet flights it also seemed like no one was checking how many pieces of luggage anyone was bringing.

• Nick G says:

Any ideas why I can’t seem to see QR availability anymore on both BA and AA for a redemption booking next April? Was working fine now only shows Sri Lankan options from Doha to Far East

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

Does anyone have recent experience of Ryanair Stansted fast track and whether it’s worth the premium please (we’re flying to Biarritz Thursday week if that makes any difference). TIA!

• Steve says:

Outbound is marginal, inbound saved me hours a few days ago.

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

Thanks Steve – that’s helpful – we arrive back in the evening so a delay would be unwelcome.