Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 8th October

Comments (673)

• JM says:

Priority Pass with Supplementary platinum – comes through automatically or have to request it? Been a month and nothing yet. Have the one on main account.

• Keely says:

FCDO advice just updated for Jamaica, no longer advising against all but essential travel – yay!!!!

• Matthias says:

Hello. Does anyone know if I part paid for a booking with an eVoucher, can I still cancel and get an eVoucher again?

And if so will the new eVoucher be for the whole value of the flight or only the cash amount paid (and I lose the value of the original voucher) ?

• Ikaz says:

I am assuming that you mean a BA booking. You can cancel a BA booking that is part paid for with a voucher. The new voucher will be worth the sum of the voucher and cash used for the booking, no loss

• Matthias says:

Yes BA. Thanks a lot for the info.

• Cambridge Dad says:

Uncertain times. Since value for money and good investing decisions are important, I suggest you give Bloomberg a go for 3 months – no points or miles but potentially – since points = money – a lot of points in terms of better financial decisions. No link to me or commission for me but https://www.bloomberg.com/subscriptions/67obqkd5zdp5lj8?in_source=article-meter
    should do it @ $1.99/ month for 3 months. If you contact them to cancel after 3 months, you’ll get offered another 3 months at the same rate. Unlimited access to Bloomberg News/ TV etc, which they optimistically normally charge $35/ month for.

• Kevin D says:

Thanks for this.
      I already subscribe to CNBC but for 2 bucks a month its worth checking out.

• MKB says:

Just when I thought Enterprise stood out as being better than other car rental companies, I seem to be on the receiving end of a scam courtesy of their Frankfurt airport terminal 2 branch.

I returned a vehicle during hours when they were scheduled to be open, but there was no one at the parking lot and a handwritten notice at their counter said they’d had to close with instructions on where to leave the keys.

I was relieved to get an email two days later stating:

“Since we did not meet you personally when you returned the vehicle, we wanted to inform you that the car was checked in flawless.”

Today, five weeks later, I’ve received an invoice for €700 of repairs to paintwork damage, that is not even visible in either of the photographs they attached. I am 100% confident the car was returned in exactly the condition I picked it up in.

I have Amex Platinum car rental insurance, so ultimately this is not going to cost me anything, but it’s clear to me there is some scam afoot here and I don’t see why Amex should have to pick up the tab.

I know I could have taken photos — I often do — but the lighting wasn’t good, and they don’t really stack up as evidence if a rogue outlet decides they are going to manufacture some subsequent damage. They can dispute the time of the photo or claim it was caused between your unattended return and when they checked it in. You are relying on good faith.

It’s very disappointing as there seem to be no reputable car rental companies left.

• Cambridge Dad says:

I don’t think you can pin limited scams onto whole companies – well, not the big companies – but yes you can certainly do that as regards rogue branches of said companies.

Eg: I have had a great experience with Europcar – always perfect in terms of ‘young’ hire vehicles, upgrades, £1 hires, never any issues when returning, no cheating on fuel etc etc – (I always take a lot of photos) – but it would not surprise me in the slightest if certain rogue Europcar branches were ripping off customers in the way you describe.

Ie perhaps unhelpful to tar the whole company with the same brush when 1 bad apple has gone rogue.

• ChrisC says:

an error is not a scam

not everything that happens is a scam

• Anna says:

The email should be good evidence if you decide to dispute this. Bringing insurance into it without even challenging is only going to raise premiums for all of in the long term (or devaluation of card benefits).

• MKB says:

This made me laugh.

Here in the Fairmont Hamilton Bermuda, they have Happy Hour in the main bar tonight, so I was surprised to see the bar prices unchanged, and considerably higher than in the Fairmont Gold lounge. Apparently it’s because “there is live music and that will make you happy.”!

• Anna says:

That doesn’t surprise me – the St George’s Club offers “mandatory” room cleaning which was $60 when we last stayed and also requires that you eat at least one meal in their restaurant! IME it’s the wealthiest destinations which try and squeeze the most money out of their visitors.