Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 14th October

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (454)

• Rich says:

OT: Anyone aware of any good value ways to access the FT?

I’m happy to pay for journalism, but the subscription plans don’t offer good value for someone who just wants to read the odd article. The old trick of Googling the headline seems to have stopped working.

I know The Times appears on Apple News, but not the FT.

• Sina says:

Not sure how, but I redeemed an Amex offer about two years ago, never got charged and the FT account is still active!

• BuildBackBetter says:

Google head for points ft and there are a couple of subscription options that might suit you.

• Rich says:

Thanks. Seen those, but still too much to be of value. £33/ month?! Especially compared to $1 a month for the NY Times or £10 for Apple News.

Do they ever do a ’10 articles a month’ type deal?

• TGLoyalty says:

Convince your employer it’s required for your role?

• Sukes says:

See if your local library stocks a hard copy. They may also offer Pressreader for free electronic news and mags. I think my local library doesn’t include FT through pressreader but does include WSJ which may be sufficient for your reading needs.

• APPL says:

If you go to subscriptions page on FT, it should also show you other options at the bottom. If you click weekend print, there is weekend print + standard digital option for £40 for 3 months, which is decent imo (even better when amex offer was on).
      Bypass paywall browser extension also works fine with FT(probably illegal though).

• Rob says:

This is what I’m on. I keep an eye out for FT offers and switch the payment card over – got lucky so far and there has been an Amex offer each time the renewal has come around.

• N says:

Search “12 ft ladder io”

• Axel says:

Curve Credit – Here to shake up the market

Online webinar on 21st October

• Sina says:

Good for Curve! long time supporter of the brilliant idea and the super app!

• Harrier25 says:

They’re a little to the party to shake-up the market!

• Will says:

Struggle to understand curve credit, high interest rate and anyone with a a half reasonable credit file can get 2-3% pa on a credit card balance transfer at the moment.

• Travel Strong says:

I noticed something with Curve many months ago – you can see who in your contacts has Curve via the Curve Send button.

For a long time, only the points collectors in my contacts had it. Few and far between.

Then it exploded… exclusively amongst my less well-off contacts, trying to be tactful – those who probably have no credit history and poor address history for credit too. My guess was the free £5 got round on socials or something.

Now it looks like they’ve pivoted. Points churners played their part for the quarterly numbers – that time has gone. Now its time to generate some revenue from charging interest to others.

• Js says:

Can you write a article on Lumo? or its out of scope

• Dan Loves Christmas says:

Just received a love letter from Creation where they have stated they won’t be ‘reversing the annual charge or rewarding the free night’s stay for the period covered if outstanding’. Does seem a rather foolish decision not to refund the fee – while it’s their right to do business with whom they choose, I suspect not refunding the fee in the first place will end up costing them more.

• Will says:

It’s a bizarre move. You can’t offer a fee based product on the promise of something and then refuse to honour it or refund the fee.

• Anna says:

I have 3 FTVs containing avios and cash. 2 contain expiring BA companion vouchers so when the time comes I will just have to get into the phone queue, however long that it by then. One is just 4 x RFS avios and cash – can I ask for this to be refunded (via Twitter or chat)? At this point I’m willing to write off the cash as I sunk cost rather than contemplate a 3rd call to BA to use the 100k avios.

• Peter Taysum says:

Ooh, new BA Sale! 🥰

• Simon says:

Any top tips for Hertz deals? Amex Plat CDP only seems to give 10% off these days.
    And as soon as i log in to my account there is no availability for the dates I want next summer in Spain.
    So i need to book as a guest??

• Js says:

Flying blue givs you %15, Just sign up for Ivory and your good.
      You can also try QEEQ Diamond depending on how long your renting for it could be worth it.

• JDB says:

HSBC WE gives you a 15% discount which does seem to work.

• Simon says:

thankyou both

• SteveJ says:

Any other 15%s? Usually use Platinum and Virgin, both of which are only 10%.

Also, if you use a different CDP, but are logged in as Gold (obtained from Platinum Amex) I presume you still get the upgrade (i.e. not dependent on using the Amex CDP?).

• Simon says:

is the upgrade guaranteed tho? Can i risk booking a small car to get an upgrade to intermediate as a gold presidents circle member? its a moot point because when i log in, the car is no longer available anyway. very frustrating

• Js says:

Things are very tight with hertz in the uk in the last year, I am a pc and was downgraded more then once, best to call the location and ask

• Js says:

Did you search on hertz-europe website? there is ushaly better availability on the local website
          try cdp code 907026 for spain

• The Urbanite says:

If you have access to Xexec have a look on there!

• Paul says:

I have some small Shangri-la Golden Circle balances to use across a few accounts. Whats the process to use them towards F&B at the Shard?

• David says:

Just look in the app. Very clearly tells you what you need to do.

• Paul says:

I had specially wondered how to use points within the app to make an ‘on the moment’ redemption, vs ordering an F&B award certificate