Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 14th October

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (454)

• Des says:

If I mid-year cancel the first supplementary card on my AmexPlat account, and then give someone else a supplementary card, do they also get a free Priority pass card?

• Ben says:

Hello, I have some flyingBlue miles that expire at the end of the year. According to their website it says I have to fly with them in order stop them expiring.
    So I was wondering if anyone had any tricks or tips that have worked to extend them.
    Cheers

• Neil says:

You could take a look on flyertalk but I think you need to fly to keep them alive. Not sure if you make a points booking and then cancel what happens but I’d guess you’d loose them if they were due to expire anyway.

• Rob says:

Enough to transfer to Accor?

• Guernsey Globetrotter says:

If not but you have Amex MRs you could also top up AF Then transfer to Accor – rate isn’t great but maybe preferable to losing points altogether…

• Sprigg says:

If I cancel my BAPP (to move to the plat charge card) do I get to keep the companion vouchers I have already earned or are they lost? I thought it was the former, but Amex just stated the latter while I was going through the cancellation process on the chat.

• Rob says:

Amex lies

• MW says:

They do this all the time – when my wife cancelled her BAPP they did say to her the same thing, then tried her to downgrade to the BAFree card claiming she would lose vouchers otherwise.

Had I not been next to her when she made the call, she would have accepted it. Needless to say, vouchers are always there and in fact we flew to Barbados using one of them earlier this month (card cancelled a year ago to start the 24 month clock). You just need access to an Amex card to pay the fees (does not have to be a BAPP/BAFree or even a card in your name).

• Thom says:

I was next to my wife and she still wasn’t comfortable cancelling and ended up downgrading!

• Peter K says:

Online chat is your friend.

• MW says:

My wife knows I read HfP and know (most of the time) what I’m talking about so…

(Having said that she did say she wouldn’t have been comfortable doing it otherwise)

• Tazzy says:

Totally off topic but here for a rant! Ordered a sofa in November 20 for delivery April made by duresta from a local furniture store. Told it would be delayed to early summer, which was no real issue. Then told it would be delayed until September. Then manager of Duresta phoned to say delayed to October and the usual brexit excuse used. Further phone call today that it would now be delayed until late November. I am at my wits end and the furniture shop has had my £2k deposit for a year. The attitude from duresta has been dreadful and if anyone is considering buying furniture from them please reconsider! Also their customer service team are rude and unhelpful! Rant over!!!

• Lady London says:

Tell them to give your deposit back now and you are cancelling the order. Give them 7 days after which you will charge back.

Unless they are giving some really good reason for nondelivery eg the person making it is taking longer due to long covid etc.

• Lady London says:

If chargeback fails then if UK credit card (not charge card and not debit card) is jointly liable for provision of what you ordered under Section 75, moneysavingexpert website is good on this.

• AJA says:

Wow that’s awful service! I have Duresta sofas and they make fantastic furniture ordinarily. They are not cheap! Until I read this I would’ve recommended them.

1 year to manufacture a sofa is not acceptable! I would be expecting a huge discount for that length of delay and I would want a definite guarantee that there won’t be any further delays. You’d be within your rights to do a charge back or s75 claim if you want to cancel but then you’d have to start all over again with someone else.

• Tazzy says:

Sofa and chairs is £4K. What is a realistic discount to aim for do you reckon?

• Colin MacKinnon says:

Tempted to say £1,000 – but before you cut your nose off…..

Check if anyone else can supply what you want in the next six months at a similar price.

You might find it has gone up to £5K!

• Thom says:

I would go for 30% … had that from Loaf because they delivered my sofa with damaged threading on one of the cushions and then took 3 months to get me a replacement cover for the cushion … I ended up perfectly happy!

• The cyclist says:

I went to loaf, because its local and the saleslady there was a looker. I was buying for an elderly uncle, so wasn’t particularly bothered about a discount, as he is paying and I am trying to get to an amex spend target.

• Char Char says:

Try 40% and see their response

• xcalx says:

Can the above be used if sofa is bespoke

• Red Flyer says:

I have just ordered and have been given a 24 week delivery window – please don’t say you bought from Smiths in Harrogate as I thought the deal I bagged was a good one but will know why if you say it is!!!

• Clive says:

Anywhere I can get additional points or a rebate for Hyatt or Hilton direct hotel bookings at the moment as nothing with the usual culprits.

• Clive says:

Another question on BA cancellations. Can someone please remind my where the link is where BA offer you a bonus not to take a refund but an enhanced voucher?

• Anna says:

I don’t think BA does this, the FTV just means that you don’t pay the £35 pp cancellation fee on an award booking. The link is on the home page of ba.com. I do recall people saying that they have been offered avios instead of cash when cancelling by phone but can’t remember how enhanced the rate was.

• Sukes says:

Scroll down to ‘Claim Avios’: ‘ Executive Club Members whose flights have been cancelled can now choose Avios instead of a voucher or refund. Taking Avios as an alternative to the cash element paid for your ticket means you’ll receive a 100% bonus compared to Avios purchased at the standard rate. Please contact us to claim Avios.’

• Gareth says:

Anyone visited Cardiff Voco and Hilton? Which would you recommend? Thanks

• Yorkshire Rich says:

I visited Hilton Cardiff in the summer. I thought it was very good but some of the latest reviews are from great.

• Dave says:

Hilton was nice enough, good location, shame the lounge has permanently closed. Pool and sauna is handy. Gym wasn’t up to much.

• Andrew says:

I was at the Voco last week for work – a really excellent hotel, I’ll plan a trip on my own dime (points) sometime. And it’s definitely worth taking the drink voucher as it’s a cocktail off the menu in the lovely bar if you’re Spire, although unfortunately the usual trick of them crediting the points anyway didn’t work.

• Rob says:

We’ve reviewed voco.

• The cyclist says:

I have visited the Voco at Reading football stadium, the rooms were massive, breakfast superb, swimming pool, and free parking right outside. Manager was useless mind.

• Peter K says:

Best bit about the Hilton was the lounge, so if it’s closed then the only thing going for it is location. I’ve been woken by drunks late at night outside the hotel in the street before.

Not been to Voco but my sister thought it was excellent pre-covid.

• Fred S says:

Does BA book with confidence policy apply to Iberia flights booked on BA?