Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 21st October

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (440)

• Rosie says:

Just logged onto MMB on BA for my flight on Sunday to Berlin it’s saying I need to upload covid test document on the BA website (words to that affect) I thought for Germany you don’t need a pre departure test if you are double jabbed …??? Should I just submit my covid vaccine status instead or skip and sort at airport … I don’t want to be denied boarding

• AL says:

Use Sherpa at https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/coronavirus/entry-requirements – it’ll tell you exactly what you need to do, and when. Don’t assume that BA will sort you out at the airport.

• Mike says:

I’m trying to remember what I did in MMB, when I went to Germany a few weeks back but it’s certainly possible to upload your vacc cert and German PLF only. I would definitely do it in MMB rather than at airport. Also, if you can print the cert and plf, it’s much easier handing people paper rather than your phone. You’ll need your vacc cert and plf at German immigration and vacc cert at hotel.

Just a heads-up up, the return from Germany to UK, is Verifly rather than MMB for the forms so get registered with that in advance.

• DZOO says:

BA CW to MLE currently very wide-open in Nov and Dec (6 seats for the dates I booked)

• Andrew says:

See Rob’s article on the home page

• Phil says:

Availability on MLE->LON has been posted, which leaves me with a problem…

We have (paid) seats in economy booked for our travel dates and I’ve just managed to snag MLE->LON for our return date on a 2:1 voucher.

I could do with the group’s wisdom on what to do next when – hopefully – BA posts outward seats.

Do I:
      – book the seats and try to get someone to combine the bookings and apply the 2:1
      – phone the Gold line and try to book that way
      – cancel and immediately rebook
      – something else

I’m sure I can’t be the first person to have hit this.

• Phil says:

Apologies, should have said that MLE->LON for Jan through April has been posted, but not the LON->MLE – which I can only presume is on its way…

• Daftboy says:

I wouldn’t assume that availability out from LON will appear, or that it will appear on dates you need

• Phil says:

Fair point Daftboy. I’m not going to do anything to the paid flights unless is does. But looking at the availability on SeatSpy, I’d be amazed if something doesn’t land… (famous last words!).

• DZOO says:

Sounds sensible but I would double-check you can book outbound with 241 (assuming you aren’t using one of the new style ones) and combine with inbound when available – I was told this is not possible some years ago (obviously inbound and add outbound is possible but N/A here)

• Gavin says:

Two questions:
    1) any reliable way to search HfP comments?
    2) any recent UK travellers to the Netherlands with a data point on compliance with showing a corona pass to get into bars and restaurants?

Thanks – you can see how q1 and q2 are related!

• ChrisC says:

1 – no

2 – friends in AMS say enforcement is strict. Even the bars they go regularly to (and have been for years and so are known) are checking their apps and IDs!

• SteveJ says:

You can search on Google using site:headforpoints.com prefix

• AL says:

Using Google, search for your keywords with a site: modifier. For example, to search for “cheese”, you’d do…

site:headforpoints.com cheese

Other modifiers also work, allowing you to craft such great searches as…

site:headforpoints.com “BA” AND “Netherlands” covid

• Rosie says:

A silly question maybe … I’m going to LGW collision drive through for my antigen test at 14.00

Once they do the test , am I free to drive home and await for the test result to me emailed or do I wait for them to give me the result there and then

• Aston100 says:

Hello people.
    I’m disinclined to travel to Abu Dhabi.
    Flight is with KLM.
    The t&cs state:
    “If you decide to postpone your trip, you can request a refund in the form of a travel voucher. The voucher is refundable and valid for one year after date of issue. Once you have requested a voucher, your original booking will be cancelled.”

I rang KLM. He seemed to say that I can obtain a voucher, and then I can apply for a refund for that voucher at some point.

It sounds like a full refund (but with an extra hurdle) for a passenger not wanting to travel. This sounds too good to be true.
    Does anyone have any experience of this please?

• David D says:

Yes, very straightforward in general. If you have already booked the flights you can cancel over the phone or online for a voucher. I’d personally phone them so you can make a note of the voucher number and request it to be emailed to you directly.

Once you have the voucher, you have a full 12 months from the issue date to requested the refund as cash returned to the method of original payment, or to pay towards replacement flights.

If the replacement flights are higher in value, you pay the difference, if lower you receive a new voucher with the remaining amount left. Note that you receive the voucher to the ticket code of the company you booked through, so AF voucher number for a flight booked through AF and any new flight would then need to be an AF ticket, some customer service representatives will work around it, but prefer not to.

I’ve had 25 separate vouchers so far from AF/KL since travel restrictions came into being, all bookings and re-bookings, plus one ticket fully refunded for a separate medical reason. All done on a no quibble basis, and a few good laughs with the customer service team as well.

• Aston100 says:

Thanks David. That sounds like a fantastic refund policy.

• Michael C says:

Great to learn that about KLM.
          @Aston100, just in case your Asia trip is still on, KLM do a
          nifty SIN-DPS usually v reasonable in Business!

• Ben says:

@David D. Just a shot in thr dark here but if you cancel a KLM flight booked with miles. Does that reset the miles clock or do you also get a voucher with a cash value for a points booking?
            I have booked to go to Dubai as I have some miles expiring at the end of the year and intend to go. Just interested to know.

• Polly says:

Michael, that was our nifty plan, but don’t think we are getting into DPS anytime soon. Might have to settle for the W out in sentosa, not complaining tho. Now thinking might change our 241 our to MRU, wonderful opportunity there, before they shut off the U.K., that is!

• David D says:

@Ben,

Not redeemed any miles on Flying Blue recently so can’t comment from personal experience. It depends if you have status or not from what I understand, as with status your miles never expire from Silver level or above.

Any miles earned resets the clock, so even a low cost stay at an Accor hotel with the two loyalty accounts would reset the mileage clock.

If flights are before the 31st March 2022, then your miles and cash should be refunded. Though, you could theoretically switch dates and if cheaper overall then receive a partial refund per their current T’s & C’s.

• Amy C says:

FYI Barbados has scrapped quarantine and on arrival testing for vaccinated travellers from the 24th.

• Rob says:

Flipping great, he says, semi-stuck in a hotel room in Barbados because they can’t cope with the number of samples coming in to process each day ….

• MW says:

How long has it been for you? (I am assuming you did the free one at the airport?)

• meta says:

This is why I am not going anywhere with test on arrival. 24hrs wait for Thailand, no chance!

• Polly says:

Same for SIN, rethinking this trip now.. thought we had done well booking a patio room, but no chance. Told to rebook into a sealed room. Understand, but still annoying. And yes, it’s a risk.

• Can says:

is it just me, or
    – my supp Plat got declined in a shop, [for the first time ever]
    – amex app cannot connect

what is going on?

• Chris says:

Just looked up booking a friend to stay in London, usually use one of the Park Plazas, but it seems every single Exec Lounge is currently closed. Is it refurb season?