Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 22nd October

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (444)

• QFFlyer says:

Credit where it’s due (no pun intended) – Creation have credited my account with the interest charged due to the payments being significantly delayed for the last couple of week. Didn’t have to chase it up or anything, so great work from them there.

• SteveJ says:

+1 credit appeared on my account today (dated yesterday).

QFF had you contacted them at all on this matter? I had raised a secure message in the app asking why my payment hadn’t arrived, never got a reply but got the credit so all sorted.

• QFFlyer says:

I sent a message enquiring as to why the payments hadn’t been credited/when they would be, but never got a reply. Maybe that prompted it, either way.

• Aslan says:

+2 Just checked and yep, refunded here as well. Had messaged them as well but no reply, but one less thing to sort

• BJ says:

Why do they deserve credit for that?

• Harrier25 says:

+1. They are rightly correcting their own mistake. A mistake you don’t come across from a more trusted card issuer!

• Lady London says:

I’d want it from writing in Creation that their delay in crediting did not mean a missed/late payment report to any credit reference agencies. Avoiding that impact of their mistake would be worth more than getting interest refunded

• QFFlyer says:

For actually getting something right for once. I don’t think it’s ever happened before, so my expectations are rock bottom.

• Harrier25 says:

But they got it wrong first!!!! So its a very poor show from the jokers at Creation yet again.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

Any recent data points for the length of time Avios to Nectar transfers are currently taking?

• Andrew says:

Always 14 days on the dot – it’s more of an imposed security lag time rather than a delay.

• Jessica says:

Travelling outbound 12 days post second jab but have NHS both passes, will this be an issue at check in or border? Destination doesn’t say more details than being fully vaccinated, (returning inbound will be over 14 day+ post double jabbed) Is it safe to presume 12 days is fine?

• Phil says:

It very much depends where you’re flying and when. You’ve got two sets of rules to contend with – the UK’s requirements and the destination country’s requirements – both of which are “somewhat fluid”.

BA has a handy checker – https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/coronavirus/covid19-tests

Most destinations require you to be 14 day+ post jab, but you might get away with doing an antigen or PCR test.

You also need to check that the destination country accepts your vaccines – it’s not a given that just because you’re considered fully vaccinated in the UK that you’re considered vaccinated in the destination.

• Pete M says:

The airline could also decide that you need to be jabbed at least 14 days prior to entering the destination and deny you boarding – I would carry evidence that the destination doesn’t require this, but it’s not guaranteed to work (especially if the airline is FR or similar).

• Jessica says:

Destination doesn’t require any specific terms except fully vaccinated. Worried that I might lose my ticket fare over details just not being clear.

• Mike says:

Would be worth stating your destination, then you could get specific advice.

• Mr. AC says:

Usually 12 days is NOT fine, regrettably.

• Jessica says:

IF its actually checked?

• TGLoyalty says:

No can really provide any helpful advice unless you share the destination.

From a U.K. perspective as long as it’s 2nd Jab+14 days when you return you’ll be counted as fully jabbed for any isolation/testing requirements.

• Patrick Cold says:

False fire alarms for the third night out of five at Hilton, Nicosia. I spoke to two people at the front desk who showed little interest. Should I write to Hilton or the hotel? I’m Diamond if that’s relevant. Thank you.

• Andrew says:

Diamond isn’t relevant, but you should contact Hilton directly for some compensation. I would also suggest asking to speak to the hotel manager if front line staff aren’t interested.

• John says:

When I stayed a while back the manager was working the front desk.

• Can says:

refer to the “make it right” policy when writing to Hilton.. the hotel simply did not make it right

• Char Char says:

Speak to as many managers as you can find, don’t leave it up to the Hilton customer services until you leave the hotel, I really don’t know why people recommend contacting corporate when the people are still at the hotel

• Neil says:

Someone recently confirmed that there’s currently 20k bonus if you are upgrading from Gold to Plat but does anyone know what the spend target is?

• a270 says:

Is that for people who are not eligible for a sign up bonus too?

Also, how soon can I add a supplentary after getting a platinum. Got approved last night but previously there was a 5k bonus to add a supplementary. Is that still valid?

• VerdantBacon says:

Yes, check this link for adding a supp card. Can do it as soon as you want.

• Louie says:

I’ve been away for several weeks and am out of the loop….. a while ago several people, including me, had an issue with the supplementary card bonus not posting automatically. Has anyone had this resolved yet and if so, automatically or did you have to chase Amex?

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

I’ve had two chats with Amex on this matter.

The first said that they could see the spend but wait 30 days. The second, on day 32, said that I should wait 90 days which mirrors the T&C’s.

In neither case was I told that I was ineligible due to previously receiving the offer but I’m not overly optimistic.

• mark2 says:

I believe that this has recently been changed to once in a lifetime bonus.

• a270 says:

About to cancel my BAPP. Have cleared the balance but still have a few thousand Avios. Will they get transferred despite cancelling or do you lose them?

• VerdantBacon says:

You lose them, if you want to keep them, cancel after transfer

• Andrew says:

Or just downgrade to Blue.

• BJ says:

Plus, given you describe it as a few thousand, then it is worth paying the extra fee for at max one month to get them.

• Matt says:

They will almost certainly transfer across at the normal date, even if you’ve cancelled the card before then. If they don’t though you will have little come back – it’s a balance you need to make between the risk of losing them vs the reduced card fee payable and the quicker re-start of the 24 month clock.

If it was a few hundred to a few thousand avios I’d cancel the card. If it was the sign up bonus I would keep the card til they were transferred.

• Can says:

Embarrasing to ask here, but I just needed to confirm:
    What is the sign up bonus rules for Amex Business cards?
    If I wait for 6 months after cancellations, would I qualify for SUB again?

• CarpalTravel says:

Correct, as long as you don’t have a personal card.

“American Express states on the Business Platinum website that “you will not receive the sign-up bonus if you have held a Membership Rewards enrolled card [ie Platinum, Gold or Green American Express card] in the six months before you apply.” This includes both personal and business cards.”