Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 22nd October

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (444)

• Rui N. says:

T&Cs are not law. Just because companies put all kinds of shaddy stuff in T&Cs and you formally agree to them, doesn’t mean that companies can do whatever they want.
    Companies also have plenty of responsibilities in terms of fair treatment of customers that are not applicable to consumers relationship towards companies. In my case I fail to see what has Creation gained by telling people that they’ll charge the £99 between now and December and won’t reimburse people. At least be quiet if you intend to try to screw over your customers, don’t put that in writing. a
    And certainly don’t put that in writing and then send it to the customer! But they’ve also told Anna they would give her the free night, so thinking about sending stuff to customers it’s not their forte for sure.

• Rui N. says:

This was a response to endfire on page 6. Sorry!

• Anna says:

Creation didn’t tell me, IHG did! Though I don’t think IHG are particularly clued up, especially about what goes on outside the US.

• TGLoyalty says:

IHG is a British company!

• Anna says:

The employees aren’t, well not the ones who answer the phone or the Ambassador email queries anyway.

• JDB says:

IHG trivia Anna – it was originally the hotel arm of Bass the pubs/brewer. Bass sold its brewing arm (as many did when tied pubs outlawed) and the hotels were renamed Six Continents (the rewards scheme still technically operates in this name) and when the pubs were demerged it then became InterContinental Hotels.

• JDB says:

And Ladbrokes owned Hilton!

• TGLoyalty says:

Handful of Americans perhaps for Amb but big call centre in Philippine’s, they always sound American to me though, and I’ve heard about Jamaica and Dominican too

• Rui N. says:

Oh, my mistake then. I thought it was Creation that told you so when you enquired about the status of your free night. Not a slam dunk anymore then.

• NSL says:

So, Simplytestme, that have been mentioned a few times on here – can anyone recommend? I’m about to order 6x Day 2 lateral flows and the website doesn’t fill me with much confidence.

• QwertyKnowsBest says:

Not an approved tester. Read about us, wording is very ambiguous but does say not yet approved

• ankomonkey says:

I’ve taken the plunge. Having paid a lot for testing this year and having been messed about by cowboys like Eurofins who were retained on the government’s PCR approved list, I am happy to chance my luck on these guys.

• QwertyKnowsBest says:

I know how you feel. I wonder if any validation of numbers provided for preflight clearance?

I doubt it given the poor planning, but would be useful to know.

• Ryan says:

What’s the worry? It’s £12 to get a PLF code, that’s what your paying for

If you really want to be technical with them, if they don’t deliver in time, chargeback, simple

• Pete M says:

There is no concept of an “approved provider” – “The government does not endorse or recommend any specific test provider – you should do your own research about them and their terms and conditions.”

• TGLoyalty says:

Exactly. Just use an NHS one if it doesn’t turn up.

• Thywillbedone says:

AMEX Plat Insurance question (have searched elsewhere): am looking at a non-cancellable flight option (good price) with Singapore Airlines. Am I right in thinking that AMEX Plat will cover the cost of that flight if I can’t travel save in the case of pre-existing health conditions, disinclination to travel, or circumstances known prior to travel? In short, if I can’t travel due to a COVID restriction of some description, I get refunded in full save for £50 excess? (that is how I am reading their Ts & Cs)

• JDB says:

You need to look at the full exclusions – particularly the general ones (in addition to the cancellation section ones) at 1.9. I don’t think you would be covered in the event of the imposition of Covid restrictions, but you should read your policy’s full terms and/or ask Amex and decide based on that.

• Voltron says:

Anyone ever had an email from AMEX for a Credit Servicing Alert? I got one for a card number I don’t remember, thought initially it was a scam but it might have been one of my old canceled cards. Email looked suspicious, but it did have my full name and I googled the email address and it seems legit, [email protected].

For your security:

Dear Card Member,

We would like to let you know about a charge of EUR XX.XX from Amazon Pay we received on 22/10/2021.

We have unfortunately been unable to approve this charge as the request was made using a previously cancelled Card number. This may be a recurring payment you had set up with the establishment.

If you have recurring charges set up on your Account, such as internet providers or mobile phone bills, you should contact those merchants as soon as possible to update your payment information with your new American Express Card number. This will ensure these charges are processed properly in the future.

If you would like to talk to one of our customer care professionals about this matter please call using the number shown on the back of your Card and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Yours sincerely,
    American Express Customer Care

• Connor says:

All legit, had it a few times when forgetting to update replaced card numbers.

• Andrew says:

Sounds like a possible fraud they are alerting you to. Call them to discuss if you’re concerned.

• Anna says:

This happens to us regularly when I cancel an Amex and Netflix and the like try and take the next month’s payment!

• Youllnever says:

What makes it unlikely to be a phishing email is the fact that the email doesn’t include any links for you to click on. All the email says is to call the CS number from the back of your card for more information. Most emails from banks regarding transactions generally follow this rule.

• Peter K says:

Had this several times after BA data breach. The card was cancelled but occasionally someone tried to use it for small “testing” amounts. I rang Amex the first time and they just said it was a fraud attempt but didn’t seem that interested really as the card was closed.

• TGLoyalty says:

Legit.

• RTS says:

Looks like Curve to NSandI is fronted only!

• Reney says:

Yup, Curve sent an email about it a while back. The change took place around 6 Oct.

• Simon says:

Out of interest which hotel is the better out of the 2 … Sheraton Heathrow or Sheraton skyline Heathrow

• Louise says:

Could someone tell me the number to text customer services at virgin flying club? Having issues trying to reset my log in password (been going on for days). I don’t seem to be able to find it on the virgin website. Thanks

• Richie says:

Will we see longest sector flights such as Heathrow to Santiago de Chile become unviable?

• ChrisC says:

So going back to the scheme that had 4 bands that went down to 2 and possibly up again.

Hope they keep it based on distance from London to national capital otherwise some west coast US destinations could be up banded.

But hardly anyone pays the £ 554 rate as it applies only to planes weighing more than 20 tons and with fewer than 19 seats

• Paul Pogba says:

Tell them its racist because it will disproportional impact those of darker hues travelling to visit family and they won’t know what to do.

• David says:

Drunk?

• Paul Pogba says:

No, my point is woke agendas can collide. There is a desperation to protect minority groups and the environment, without knowing the detail, this policy looks like it could force a decision on which one of those is most important.

I doubt it will effect any of us on here as the collective mind seems to sniff out the loopholes which will probably be flying to AMS, HEL, CDG picking up your bags and checking in again.