Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 4th November

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (466)

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Nooooo! Netflix is down 😭

• Grimz says:

BA cancelled a leg of my booking on 2nd December back from San Diego. I want to rebook for 5 – 22nd Nov 22. Can I let BA know I won’t be travelling and will call back early December to rebook when my flights will be available.

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

AA domestics – From my understanding baggage for ‘main cabin’ domestic bags offer zero free bags for regular, one free bag for ruby (BA bronze), two free bags for sapphire (silver) and three free bags for emerald (gold). Is this information still up to date as when I booked I can now select main cabin extra seats for free as it recognises my status but it doesn’t show the increased baggage allowance

• bafan says:

Yes that’s accurate. They’ll recognize it at the airport. I flew AA today.

• Vit says:

Hello all, need a bit of advice please — I have both mbna (the one with 0.5% cb) and free blue curve (virgin backed). I normally use amex while spending for work abroad and use mbna for own expense to avoid fx fees. I’ve seen Hfpers using curve abroad without any fx fees. Is this applicable for all countries? (Planning to use the card in Thailand). Below is what I’ve seen from Curve website.

Curve Blue (free) – Spend up to £500 per month fee-free. There’s a 2% fee for any more spend. Withdraw up to £200 per month from foreign ATMs. There’s 2% fee or a £2 charge (whichever is higher) for any further withdrawals.

• yorkieflyer says:

I’m really not sure its wise to use Curve with any underlying card or bank you wish to maintain. I’ve used Curve for FX use abroad incl occasional ATM use and been sent packing by Creation (IHG) as most others.
      Basically, Curve is subverting the business model of other card issuers. First Amex and now Creation. I’ve unlinked my Virgin card and binned Curve and hoping for the best. Caveat Emptor

• yorkieflyer says:

Data Point. Easyjet answered the phone and dealt with my issues without problem on two calls today answering each call within 2 minutes, yes minutes not hours, please take notice Sean Doyle..

• Cormac says:

Just a quick mention incase anyone else is experiencing a delay in transferring AMEX MR to BA AVIOS after syncing accounts. I initially contacted AMEX about the issue and they helped traced it back to my address within my BA account which had the 1st line of my address replaced with the 2nd line of the address (2nd line was blank).

Address now corrected, and AMEX have raised a case to attempt the transfer again.

• Will says:

Any sign of the 750 clubcard points for hotels.com yet?

• Anouj Rajput says:

Is Amex platinum still offering 24k points for a referral? And if so is it till the 9th?

• Reney says:

nop that has ended. Thought it was the 3rd.

• Reney says:

I should clarify that the general one has finished, some people have reported on the chat of getting targeted referral offer of 24k/70k.

• QFFlyer says:

Ended 2/11, the boosted offer for the Gold ends 9/11. Others have targeted, ongoing offers.