Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 19th November

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (466)

• Shaw west says:

BA site still down for redemption!

• Prins Polo says:

Yup, still down. Surprised to see nothing on this on HfP…? The pinned article on the Nov 13-17 outage disappeared too.

There’s a workaround on FT though to get into your account through a back door and it works – just successfully booked an Avios ticket.

• ChrisC says:

Plenty of comments on it yesterday and the workaround posted several times as well,

The pinned article just lost its pin that’s all. It’s not disappeared from the site.

How this isn’t going to be another day of people just posting thst they can’t log on.

• Jim says:

I had no problem booking three flights yesterday:

1 x Avios booking with 241 voucher
          2 x cash bookings with evouchers

All done by starting with a cash booking, logging in when prompted and then having full access to my account to do whatever you would normally do for redemption bookings.

• Ian says:

I’ve just booked an Avios redemption flight using the dummy cash booking method too, although I had to use my wife’s account as it fell over when I attempted to book it through my account.

• Oliver says:

Got into my account, but getting the following error message when I am trying to book with Avios….
            Error
            Sorry, Something went wrong

• SRTravels says:

There was an article a few days back about the loyalty summit being yesterday. Maybe Rob & Rhys are nursing hangovers 😁

• CarpalTravel says:

One can only imagine how many unencrypted CSV files are being transferred around in BA’s IT dept. right now.

• The Canuck says:

WestJet launching to Heathrow in Spring 2022. Great news for those of us who need to get to the west coast of Canada and have had enough of Air Canada’s grumpy flight attendants

• Alex J says:

Great news – their PE is a great offering on brand new 787s and they have plenty of local connections to the PNW from Calgary.

• aDifferentSimon says:

can you use virgin points on westjet?

• Blair says:

Some conversation yesterday re best means of getting unlimited mobile data/large data allowance when in the US. Someone mentioned Ultra Mobile prepaid SIM. I can vouch for this but be aware there is a convention in the US of re-using mobile numbers. I know this will sound like a joke but during a trip to Chicago in 2019 the number assigned to me appeared to have previously been used by a wife swapping group. I wish I had screenshotted the messages in hindsight. But be warned if you have any under 18s you were thinking of fiving the SIM card to. Or indeed suspicious spouses who may not buy the “It was an old number recycled back into use” excuse.

• QwertyKnowsBest says:

If you have a business, Three 10 SIMs for £50 (+VAT) is excellent value. All UK use of data etc unlimited. 12gb per number roaming in EU and USA ++. Now have to pay a daily unlock fee, for anyone on this deal pre October, no unlock fee.

• Chrisasaurus says:

You don’t still have the SIM do you? Asking for a friend.

• ianM says:

Is the Ultra SIM tourist pack the best option – what about the 3 SIM with Go Roam? Looks to me like the only difference is with Ultra you get a US number and can make free domestic calls in US?

• Dan says:

Is there an international SIM that will be cost-effective in the US and Bahamas? It looks like the latter is locked up with the two national networks and any international roaming is prohibitively expensive.

• the_real_a says:

Three Sim was virtually unusable for data in New York (or any densely populated city) for as long as i can remember. Browsing websites was painful and streaming video just impossible. It seems they use “spare capacity” of other networks and are the lowest priority when demand is high.

• davef says:

It was me that mentioned it and yes I agree about the re-use. I’ve had all sorts of calls/debt collection etc/ and texts when using both AT&T and T-Mobile sims.
      Back in the day with smaller packages incoming calls and texts could seriously impact your allowances as they were all chargeable.

• Paul says:

Heathrow Rewards -?The lamentable joke of Heathrow airport!
    I managed to get premium membership for a couple of years via some well timed tech purchases, and did so again in late 2019. Well we all know what then happened!
    Membership was extended to 2021 but there is no sign of a further extension?
    Has anyone managed to get extended into 2022?
    I have written to ask but given my last email in August got a reply last Monday, I am not holding out much hope of a reply, let alone a positive response.

• BSI1978 says:

LinkedIn has introduced Dark Mode, finally.

Rob/Rhys – any plans for H4P to follow suit….?!

• Worksop Dave says:

“ LinkedIn has introduced Dark Mode”

So no you can read made up stories from attention seekers who think it’s Facebook, in dark mode? Great news!

• BSI1978 says:

Clearly depends on the quality of your connections, but thanks for the helpful input.

• Worksop Dave says:

Good point. A lot of my connections are recruitment type bluffers. Partly useful when looking for a job but not the rest of the time hence I don’t see the point of it most of the time. Probably necessary if you’re in sales etc

• BSI1978 says:

I have noticed that the quality, or relevance of wider posts does seem to have diminished; I now see ‘likes’ or posts from connections of connections which is annoying but I find a regular prune helps keep it from getting too much.

• John says:

Use a browser that includes dark mode

• BSI1978 says:

Already done that thanks, and unless I’m doing something wrong on this site where others work, it has no impact.

• John says:

Dark mode works fine for me with opera

• Doogie says:

Firefox with Dark Reader addon works fine for me across pc and multiple android devices. The logo is black on slightly less less than dark black, but I know what site I’m on and can see the logo enough for navigation when required.

• Rob says:

We dummied it, and it didn’t work well. It would need a bigger and more expensive rewrite than we are happy with at present.

• Dilbert says:

Morning all. Hoping one of you can May know this one. Before I spend an hour plus on the phone this morning, I’m seeking some advice. We are flying long haul in a few weeks on a 241 redemption – economy out (with paid for seat selection), business back.
    PE has just become available on the outbound leg. If I call to change the economy leg to PE will I lose the seat selection fee or is it refunded/transferred to the PE seat?

• Ant says:

How can you see the BA On Business account associated to your booking on Manage my booking?

• Yuff says:

Does anyone know when Emirates would consider our son fully vaccinated for Emirates travel requirements.
    His 2nd Pfizer jab is due Thursday 25th Nov.
    I assume it would be Thursday 9th December 🤔

• Anna says:

Isn’t it 14 days after the second dose? Do they make any exceptions for children?

• Yuff says:

It is 14 days but when does day 1 start the day of the jab or the following day?

• ChrisC says:

Unless otherwise specified and out of an abundance of caution I’d start the count from the day after the jab.

• Lee says:

Thursday 9th would be 14 days after. For day 1 to be the day of the jab you’d have to make the leap that the day you got the jab is 1 day after you got the jab…

• Mr. AC says:

Not that big of a leap. E.g. the “Day 2” test is 2 days since you’ve arrived, the arrival day being counted as day 0.

• H says:

The Emirates online chat function is generally excellent with these kind of queries so you could try that.

• Tracey says:

Uk would say from the Friday, don’t know what other countries say.

• Yuff says:

Thanks everyone, although Austria going into lockdown might impact my choice 🤦🏻‍♂️