Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 19th November

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (466)

• Andrew says:

I got a Platinum mug at Breakfast!

It’s usually just the IHG Gold mug, but last night’s stay should have taken me to Platinum (thanks to the promotion Rob detailed in article a month or so back) so I’ve had recognition this morning.

So happy! And I’ve sent Rob a pic of it to prove these do exist…

• Crafty says:

Just had an “American Express promotional credit” on my silver card for £0.02. Made my morning.

• Robman says:

Some community assistance required please. I’ll be travelling to Mauritius in 10 days time and have some questions.
    A) I need a negative PCR test 72 hours before arrival. I live around the Heathrow area. What’s the current thoughts re cheapest PCR test around at present?
    B) I need to have COVID19 insurance. Does my Amex Platinum credit card travel insurance cover this or should I be buying a separate annual travel insurance. I will be a regular traveller. For someone with a number of pre-existing conditions, any advice on a good travel insurance policy?
    C) re b above, do you need to pay your flights and hotel with the platinum credit card to be able to use the travel insurance cover. What if you’ve used a BAPP 2-4-1 companion voucher for the flights?
    Thanks in advance

• Amy C says:

B and C) I have recently looked into this coverage for a massive African adventure I am planning next year which I used a 2-4-1 with. Seems Covid is covered for any cancelations at least and they said on the phone that you can book on any card, even a non-Amex and I’d still be covered.

• Robman says:

Hi Amy, thanks. What about the medical insurance part of the travel insurance, was that also covered?

• Mikeact says:

Why on earth don’t you call them yourself ?

• Robman says:

Mikeact, it’s a forum for discussion. Sorry it’s bothered you. If you don’t like it, don’t read it, but please maintain your decorum and MYOB.

• Spurs drive me mad says:

To be fair to Mike how on earth are we to know if an insurance policy will cover your pre existing conditions. You will have to phone them and ask them.

• Keely says:

I think most insurers are now including Covid cover as standard (at least that’s my experience having just booked an annual and a single trip (diff people ). We went with staysure for annual and they were offering 15 months for price of 12 recently . Husband has significant pre existing conditions

• Spurs drive me mad says:

I’ve just this morning booked with Staysure no 15 for 12 unfortunately anymore.

• Andrew H says:

Press conference in Austria at 9am (GMT) where a national lockdown is expected. Two regions – Salzburg and Upper Austria – say they will lockdown from Monday anyway. (Why from Monday – they are as bad as Johnson giving the virus the weekend to run free)

There goes (most likely) my ski trip in 3 weeks. Tirol is right next door to Salzburgerland.

I see BA now do 4 daily LHR/INN flights – fully expect them to start cancelling some whatever happens. Now considering a long weekend in January… can’t wait until end Feb which is my second booking…

• NvT1115 says:

It will be interesting to see the initial time frame for the lockdown. Will it be a short firebreak or something more prolonged to save Christmas… Unfortunately I have now given up hope of attending any of the European Christmas Markets this December. London South Bank it is

• Andrew H says:

Exactly – 2 weeks firebreak to limit damage to tourism and encourage vaccine take up, or 4 weeks to “save Christmas”

• Andrew H says:

How about Stockholm Christmas markets? More likely to go ahead than Germany/Austria?

• John says:

Underwhelming and too cold

• NvT1115 says:

Unfortunately I think we may start to see other EU states with lower case rates tighten their entry requirements once again to avoid the wave sweeping central Europe.

• Worksop Dave says:

Sweden are bringing in vaccine passports for indoor events about 100 people so you’ll need to be jabbed to be able to do everything

• His Holyness says:

3 weeks to flatten the curve

• Mick S says:

I’ve noticed my AMEX Gold is offering me 12,000 points for referring a friend. the friend gets a whopping 27,000 points.

anyone needing a Gold card right now? 🙂

• Travel Strong says:

Nice thought, but unsuprisingly that approach doesn’t really go down well here 😂 (due to being against t+c’s, and you being up against an entire readership and site ownership who would also like to max out on referrals of their own!)

Also, that offering is low. Many are still getting 15k referral/32k if referred (gold) and 24k/70k (platinum).

• Lady London says:

Yes any referrals we always use Rob’s links on this site first. Amex links normally available for whatever. Looking back for old articles normally have the links in them.

Or just email rob at headforpoints dot com or rhys at same for a link.

No one else in the travel blog sphere offers things like Rob’s article yesterday on what’s really going on with the Visa and Amazon things yesterday so we like to look for a link with Rob first for cards and memberships.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Tbf they don’t always have the promotional links. Always best to email and ask first out of courtesy

• BuildBackBetter says:

It’s been offered for some time now.

• Tazzy says:

Do I just need my platinum to enter plaza lounge in terminal 5? My priority pass still hasn’t arrived amd I’m travelling Sunday.

• gillydee says:

Do [email protected] offers apply to Virgin Atlantic Reward+ supplementary cards please?

• Harrier25 says:

Excellent question and something I could do with confirmation of too. From what I can make out, the offers cover every supplementary card on the account once the main card holder has registered, but can’t 100% confirm that.

• Andrew H says:

Austrian press reports are full lockdown for 20 days until 13th Dec, then restrictions only for unvaccinated

Oh well – there goes my 11th Dec holiday…

• Anna says:

I’m considering pulling the plug on Berlin for the same weekend. Even if it’s not in full lockdown I’m thinking of the risks of airport/flight/being indoors/going to a place which is struggling with hospital capacity. This winter is looking like not a great time to go to a cold weather destination.

• ChrisC says:

Oh what a coincidence! I was supposed to be in Berlin that weekend as well but pulled the plug earlier this week.

• Worksop Dave says:

I’m not sure they are struggling with hospital
        capacity in general, maybe in some regions. Their case rate is increasing but it’s still lower than ours and they have way way more hospital beds than we do (which is also the case for many other European countries. Even Italy has a similar or even slightly higher number of beds than us)

• Anna says:

Maybe, but in the event that something unpleasant happened I wouldn’t want to be using up their spare capacity. Glad we’ve got Spain booked in Feb and not somewhere cold as I think outdoors is clearly going to be the way to go for some time!

• Worksop Dave says:

Fair enough. Spain’s cases are much lower than ours and they overtook us on vaccinations a while back too.