Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 19th November

Links on Head for Points may pay us an affiliate commission. A list of partners is here.

We are running this daily chat thread on Head for Points during the coronavirus outbreak.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the de facto repository for random comments and questions.  With the news flow being lighter, we are running fewer ‘Bits’ articles.

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Please only comment under the main articles on the site if your comment is directly related to the topic of the article.  This has long-term benefits as it keeps the commentary relevant for people who read those articles in the future.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HfP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Comments (466)

This article is closed to new comments. Feel free to ask your question in the HfP forums.

  • Dan says:

    Applying for THAI pass for next holidays and they require “Insurance with minimum coverage of 50,000 USD” Amex Platinum card on AXA generated certificate will not show any amount (although AXA sells insurance for Thai passes that shows exactly what needed…).
    I’m concerned that whitout any amount written on the Amex Platinum certificate, this is bit useless for the purpose of the THAI pass or any pass that requires an amount. Any Advice?

    • Dave says:

      Contact them and ask them to send you confirmation. Staysure did that for me

    • Gavin says:

      It’s worth checking if the Platinum insurance will cover asymptomatic hospital/quarantine (and mandatory but not medically necessary hospital stays), and also quarantine if you’re tested negative but identified as a contact. The Thai system is strict and expensive if caught up in it.

    • Diydegsy says:

      Hi Dan we did ours with Amex platinum insurance but you have to call to get them to include the amount needed but no problem they did it a few hours later by email and the thai pass has been issued.

    • wollhouse says:

      hi, i got my pass and i just uploaded the generic plat cover page. my pass was approved in less than 24 hours, so i don’t know how deeply they are reviewing these docs. Also, i applied for an STV visa and that took over a week.

      • Dan says:

        Good to know, I’ll try the generic if the other certificate takes longer, thank you, great feedback.

  • Jonathan says:

    Anyone know whats going on with the Amex Samsung 10% offer, says it expires on both the 17/11/2021 and the 30/11/2021?

  • sloth says:

    hi all – first trip abroad abroad since the pandemic, just going to France…I understood all I needed was the nhs app showing both jabs and also printed off, the statement of honour for France and then book the day 2 test for the plf form, all of which have been done (plf to be filled out obv).

    I thought the nhs app was now regarded as sufficient in France with regards to the covid pass and getting in restaurants etc but a friend has just advised I still need the TousAntiCovid App? is this correct?

    • Gavin says:

      The NHS app is fine, use the second dose QR code. You don’t need to download TAC.

      • stevenhp1987 says:

        Downloading TAC is better though. If you have zero signal the NHS app won’t show your QR codes, whereas, TAC works offline.

        They also don’t show in Dark mode in the NHS app either.

  • Amy C says:

    For anyone that might recall (Lady London?) I am in dispute with BA over ticket validity after they cancelled my promotional CW fare to CPT in Feb. Told me via phone and twitter I could rebook for Feb 22 then changed their mind after I tried to do this after the original booking date anniversary (Oct 8th) had passed. I was waiting for a final response from them before going MCOL and CDER. They are claiming they’ve refunded me to my cancelled Amex (Amex haven’t said a word and I didn’t request a refund ever).

    So now I have this I just need to book refundable CW fare and MCOL right? Not done this before and don’t want to slip up or forget anything!

    • Memesweeper says:

      You might find it cheaper to book a flight that’s refundable but not fully flex. These are available through travel agencies but not directly through

      … then MCOL I guess! Good luck…

    • Lady London says:

      Hi Amy, IIRC the replies you got on this last time were all good. Including especially that they had no right to unilaterally refund you as you get to choose reroute or refund not BA. Clear to me BA does this to try to avoid people claiming their right to reroute as many won’t know BA is cheating with this tactic and as meta said a judge should be displeased by this.

      JDB also told you to get the recordings off BA so you can be very sure you did not at any time give BA any reason in conversation to think you agreed to a refund. When obtaining recordings or GDPR data, JDB has also separately advised asking the provider to confirm the records provided are complete and that they won’t rely on anything else in proceedings.

      I don’t think you should necessarily have to pay for a reservation to prove its value ie the cost to you of providing the reroute being denied to you. Ideal would be to do what memesweeper says – find a travel agent and a ticket type that will allow to hold in airline reservations system that can be settled very near the flight date or cancelled if not required. If you’d rather not lay out money I’d use the multiple market quotes (screenshots) I suggest to someone above to prove market price. And as meta says mention the likely cost of replacement tickets in your Letter Before Action (though IIRC you’ve sent yours).

      Did your contact with the CEO’s office yield anything?

      • Amy C says:

        In the email today customer relations referenced the contact I made to the CEO’s office so I take it that counted as a response from them. They apologised a lot, said they were disappointed in their staff and assured me that the measures they’ve been putting into practice will ensure it doesn’t happen again. I have no idea how I can get hold of the recording of the phone call? Surely if I write to CR again they will just say they can’t get hold of it and that will be that. They aren’t going to willingly hand it over. Plus they will probably take another (near) month to respond just to say that. Sounds in their email they are accepting fault for the misinformation anyway. I’ll do what I can with MCOL & hope it won’t cost me millions. I refuse to let them get away with this without exhausting everything in my power. I’d like to thank you again and the others who have taken the time and trouble to advise me. Much appreciated.

        • Mouse says:

          I would suggest (based on my experience) email customer relations with your request and ask specifically for a final decision. They will reject but state it is a final decision. You can then go to CEDR, no need to book replacement flights, just state what you want and why you are legally entitled to it. Wait four months and get your result.

  • Anna says:

    Amex hotel offers have been very quiet recently, do any ever appear at this time of year?

  • Jason says:

    anyone done the Marriott M Club lounge at old trafford? would care to share box location and experience of food and drink

  • SRTravels says:

    Am I right in thinking the IHG 11k Points offer for bookings using the co-branded creation card IHG have just communicated about covers already already booked stays? Surely it must do if they communicated about it 8 days after the counted period started. Hope it does as I stayed in CP Kings Cross Wednesday and will be at the Intercontinental Park Lane tonight, so would get it no effort.

    • Guernsey Globetrotter says:

      Well I received the email yesterday and if you scroll down to the bottom of it the T&Cs say stays must be made between 10 Nov & 31 Dec and can be booked anytime before or during the promotion period so you should receive the points!

    • Will says:

      I have an upcoming stay, not yet charged for, but on a different card. Is there any way to change the booking to my Creation card, and would this then trigger the offer? Price has gone up now, so not interested in cancelling and rebooking.

  • Andrew H says:

    If I book with an BA evoucher (not FTA) and then cancel I just get the voucher back in full don’t I?

    (Looking to book on the 12th Dec to Austria as my current Avios booking on 11th is likely not to go ahead as that’s 20 days from lockdown on coming Monday)

    Supplementary question: can I cancel one leg only of a Avios booking, or if BA cancel the booking does that cover both legs?

    • John says:

      If you cancel you’ll get back what you paid with minus any cancellation fee. If you voucher it you’ll get a new voucher for the value of the flight.

      If booked as a return and BA cancels the outbound you can get the whole thing refunded, or the price of the outbound refunded. If you want to cancel the outbound it’s like making a change so you pay £35 I think

This article is closed to new comments. Feel free to ask your question in the HfP forums.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.