Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 19th November

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (466)

• Simon says:

Any idea the most likely Austrian flights to be cancelled in next few weeks?

• GeorgeJ says:

Since all accommodation is closed for the period of the lockdown I would have thought that most leisure passengers to Salzburg and Innsbruck will cancel irrespective of what the airlines initially do.
      The interesting question is what do they do after 20 days, will the ski resorts open for Christmas and if so on what basis.

• Gustavo says:

We are due to travel on Dec 6th. We have an opera booking for that week and have got travel insurance. I would like BA to cancel my flight so that I can get a refund and see what I am gonna do about the tickets. Honestly, we had originally a trip to Vienna booked in March 2020 with Expedia and it was nightmare to get the money back. Now at least, I can easily get the FTV but I prefer the money so that I can choose how to best use it.

• Worksop Dave says:

No idea

• Chrisasaurus says:

As in with a view to cashing out a FTV?

• Anuj says:

Has anyone applied for platinum card recently? I’m just wondering if your referral offer is 24k per referred or the standard rate. I have potentially three people to refer soon so may get the platinum alongside the £200 restaurant credit if people are getting 24k even on new cards.

• Joe says:

12k at the moment.

• Travel Strong says:

24k on a long held card

• Ana says:

I had it for 2+ years and just have 12k, but I’m also looking to refer to people.
      Any idea if there will be an offer soon to increase this?

• TGLoyalty says:

There’s a targetted offer right now but like you I don’t have it this time round (I’m maxed out anyway so no idea if that’s made a difference)

• Colin MacKinnon says:

Looking at trip to Lax in late July. Google flights gives Mad-Lax Lax-Lhr and then LCY-Dub for £1250 if booked on Iberia or AA.

Same flights booked via BA are c£2500. Can I book with BA and claim price match?

• Luca says:

Looking for other opinions: I am travelling to Sofia the week end 03/12-05/12 and received an email from abs today reminding me to start planning for any entry requirements… Following the link on the BA website, after entering “fully vaccinated” it comes back with “most fully vaccinated travellers from the UK are not allowed in Bulgaria”, and the. List exceptions where it states UK travellers and others are allowed with Covid Certificate… I have used google translate on the officia Bulgaria government website and also checked Amex Vitals site and as far as understand UK travellers are allowed. I cannot however see details of the test but few weeks ago it was clearly listed that a negative PCR test was also required. Any opinion please?

• Scott says:

From what I can gather from the UK Gov website, you need full vaccination certificates and a negative PCR test (or a Covid recovery certificate and a negative PCR test).
      Does give the impression that without these, you get put into 10 day quarantine but can leave that if you take a PCR test and prove negative. Few random exceptions depending on transit, job etc as well.

• RichardH says:

I too am keeping an eye on this issue as I have upcoming travel to Sofia (I have family there). The current situation is for double vaccinated UK passport holders is that you can enter with a PCR test:

However this situation is subject to change due to the new government being formed after the elections in Bulgaria last weekend. The current covid situation is extremely grim in the country and hence the new government is likely to introduce significant new restrictions over coming days.

• RussellH says:

Stayed at the Kimpton Glasgow for 3 nights earlier this week.
    Something of a mixed bag, TBH.
    1. No signage outside at all to indicate that you are at the right place, but staff waiting by door to help with bags up the stairs, as long as you arrive / depart at “normal times”.
    2. Check-in problematic. We had a package booked through Emyr Thomas, including free breakfast and $100 in house spend. Some discussion with a colleague enabled the person checking us in to find the free breakfast, but no clue at all about the $100. Nor about the free gift for saying “No More Sweatpants”. Room had already been upgraded.
    However, all sorted out (we thought) after about 10 mins in the room. A senior member of staff came with the free gift, and explained that they had new staff on reception, who did not (yet) know about obscure room rates. He confirmed free breakfast and $100 credit.
    3. We liked the breakfast, but staff chased us as we left saying that we needed to pay for breakfast. We told them our breakfast was free, asked reception to bring breakfast staff up to date, no further problems.
    4. We liked the starters we had for dinner the first night – we did not want a full meal. Much of the cost came off the “Raid the Bar” voucher handed out for Spire Elite.
    5. Light switch on one bedside lamp broken. Reported to reception, but no action taken.
    6. Wardrobe made of cheap veneered chipboard; doors not hung properly and so difficult to close.
    7. Bathroom sink was so big that there was very little surrounding space for washbags, etc. Sink was also stained / damaged.
    No towel rails to hang damp towels – fresh towels left on a trolley instead. One coathook (loose) on bathroom wall.
    Shower was rainfall only – does not bother me, but my partner hates rainfall showers.
    There was a phone hanging on the wall by the WC. Not connected, as we found when it got knocked off the wall, displaying a hole in the panelling. Looked like the phone was just there to hide the hole!
    8. Wine hour (1700-1800) very enjoyable. No stinting at all, and quite reasonable Spanish House wine.
    9. Final night we had main courses from the dinner menu. Both a bit disappointing – not as good as the staters 2 nights earlier. It was a quiet night – meals servd to residents only and kitchen seemed understaffed.
    10. No real problems at checkout – they quickly realised that they had forgotten to take account of the $100 credit.

I liked the location, but remember that Blythswood Square is at the top of the hill!!

• Anna says:

Interesting read! I’ve found on both my Emyr Kimpton bookings which so far have gone ahead (Fitzroy and Clocktower) the member of staff checking us in read through the whole list of benefits prior to giving us our keys so they clearly have access to the information.
      When we stayed at Charlotte Square in April I had a bit of a tussle over breakfast as they had offered us a special rate before we arrived then didn’t honour it – fortunately I was able to produce emails confirming it.

• Duncan Stevenson-Price says:

Interesting about the No More Sweatpants. What’s the gift from Kimpton Glasgow? We’re staying two nights in December (Ambassador free night rate, so nothing from Emyr) and curious what to expect. Have never used the password at a Kimpton before!

How was the spa, if you tried it?

• RussellH says:

I have a complete mental block about hotel swimming pools and spas. I can never remember if and where they exist. Even in my tour operating days I always had to look up whether a hotel had a pool. Hence no comment above.
        My partner went swimming every morning – open access 0800-1000 – she reckoned the pool, though small, was good and very warm.
        Jacuzzi good when it was working – it was not the first morning.
        I do not do spas myself, normally. We looked at the price list for spa treatments and they were ridiculous – £80 for a massage, which would have eaten all our $100 credit. No thanks.

The No More Sweatpants gift was a bottle of some stuff from the spa. My partner said that it would make a good Xmas present for someone, and I am sure that she meant it seriously.

• stevenhp1987 says:

“No More Sweatpants” secret password ended on 6th September.

• Blair says:

I enjoyed this, thanks. Nowhere to hang towels is a pet peeve. Curio Trafalgar St James is bad for this, and for having no mixer tap and a trickle of water pressure in sinks.

• Mike says:

I thought No More Sweatpants ended on 6 sep 21

• Alan Todd says:

Commenting live from Kimpton Paris “something of a mixed bag” should be this brand’s motto.

• Andy says:

Can you buy Amazon gift cards at John Lewis? A bit fed up with lack of stock at JL so considering swapping my gift cards for Amazon ones where I can order the phone immediately

• Shaw West says:

We have 4 offers of Spend £500 and get £200 off on Etihad. So If I book 4 separate booking, cancel and add to Etihad Credit, then I have £2000 to spend on Etihad at a cost of £1200. Is the Etihad Credit worth the risk?

• Andy says:

Don’t know the terms of Etihad credit, but don’t think there’s much risk there as long as you’re likely to book a flight with them in the next year or so

• s879 says:

Just to warn you their customer service isn’t great if anything goes wrong re credit to travel bank as Etihad credit. Read the terms carefully.

• Phil says:

For anyone that’s interested – it’s taking around 15 minutes to get through to sales/Avios redemptions on the BA Gold number at the moment, which isn’t too bad given what must be chaos.

Was able to book a redemption using a FTV and get an outward one-way redemption booked yesterday linked to an inbound 2-4-1 booking and recover the points.