Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 20th November

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (214)

• John says:

Hilton Diamond with a hotel booked for Monday night.
    No upgrade showing on app.
    Anyone had an upgrade showing 3 days before as advertised to be introduced on 15 November ?

• E says:

Yes, just had an email about my Hilton stay on Tuesday night.

• John says:

You’ll only get auto upgraded 3 days in advance if the hotel is less than 90% booked. This is out of the hotel’s control unless they negotiated special terms with Hilton.

If it’s more than 90% booked you may get upgraded on the night before or the morning as it used to be

• David D says:

Not long returned from one booking in Den Haag, where I was upgraded three levels to an executive studio from a King Guest Room. So they are available. Also, even with the restrictions in the Netherlands at the moment it was a really good stay in a good room and the lounge was very good too, as well as being pretty much empty. Only downside was it closed bang on 8pm, though Irene who was managing the lounge was excellent. The Pearl restaurant has 25% off food and all drinks too for Gold and Diamond members.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Checking in today was advised I’d been upgrade hence the room Number won’t match the one when I checked in online.

To be handed the key to the exact room I’d checked into online and the room type I’d booked…

• Brighton Belle says:

Yes In my “upgraded” room tonight. It’s exactly the same as pre-upgraded.

• Benilyn says:

MCOL fees – if you lose the case, am I liable for costs from opposing party / are my costs capped? Couldn’t find anything online.

• Blenz101 says:

You lose your court fees plus some costs can be recovered by the other side. £90 a day plus travel if the other side attend a hearing. £750 for third party expertise if this has been obtained in support of the claim defence. No recovery of legal fees.

I doubt an airline would bother but it is allowed. You get 14 days to pay up if you lose.

• Lady London says:

Extremely unusual as protecting even the loser from costs is part of the point of having the small claims track within County Court that your mcol claim would normally be routed on. Basically you’d really have to have annoyed the judge or made a completely meritless claim or have behaved in some way outrageously on the small.claims track, for the judge to award any costs against you.

• Aston100 says:

Is there any reason not to go ahead and book my day 2 tests via simplytestme a month in advance?
    I don’t like loose ends.

• David D says:

Anyone staying at the Kimpton St Honore soon may want to check with the hotel tomorrow as next door is/was on fire today. http://news.sky.com/story/paris-fire-emergency-crews-battle-blaze-near-tourist-hotspot-in-centre-of-french-capital-12473385

• Blair says:

Hope it wasn’t a faulty cheap kettle that caused it

• Alan Todd says:

Yes we’re here at the moment. Missed all the action thankfully, we left for Louvre around 9 and fire started soon after. Hotel was evacuated and guests moved to Le Grand for tea/coffee and showers according to manager.

All was back to normal by the time we returned, just a very faint smell of smoke. Thankfully hearing no casualties.

• Lady London says:

I knew I shouldn’t have left the iron plugged kn when I went out for my coffee and croissant

• Scott says:

Is the U3 bus still feasible from the Holiday Inn on Bath Road to T3?
    Got a weekday 7:45am flight from T3 and looking at hotels at present.

What’s the best bus to get to T5 from the same place?

• Hotinnewcastle says:

Just checking my working out for my in laws who are travelling back from Lahore, Pakistan with Emirates with a 17 hour stopover in Dubai on route back to UK. The way I understand it, they need a PCR test up to 48 hrs pre departure and then a rapid PCR test 6 hrs pre departure. Not sure if I have understood that correctly, not sure if they need a further test in Dubai to get to their overnight hotel or to fly back to the UK?

• Blenz101 says:

From the EK website – Transit passengers from these countries (inc Pakistan) with a Dubai Connect booking and/or transit time of more than 10 hours must present a negative COVID‑19 PCR test certificate with a QR code for a test conducted within 48 hours of the time the sample was taken at an approved health facility. Passengers must also present a Rapid PCR test report with a QR code for a test conducted at the departure airport within six hours of departure.

Assuming they are staying airside it seems there is no additional test. If they plan to enter the UAE during their layover to go to a hotel then they would require a further mandatory test in Dubai albeit free of charge in order to enter. They won’t be allowed to leave their accommodation until the result is in. Not sure what passport they hold but if Pakistani they would very likely need a visa which from what I read in the local press are pretty hard to come by right for some nationalities.

• Hotinnewcastle says:

Thanks Blenz101, they hold UK passports but I was not sure if they would need a further albeit free test to get to their overnight accommodation…thanks for the clarification, will see if there is an air side hotel they can stay in instead…..

• AM says:

Has anyone traveled to Italy recently? A rapid test or PCR is required for entry apparently. We had covid a few weeks ago and were told we would be exempt from testing for 180 days as there’s a high chance of false positives. The Italian govt. website does not mention anything about people who have recovered from covid in the list of exemptions.

• Reney says:

The plastic back of my Curve metal card has peeled away from the metal front. The opening cut my finger tip open getting the card out of my wallet last night. Curve said they will charge me £50 for a new one 🤷‍♀️. Think I might just try to stick it back together myself.😂