Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 20th November

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (214)

• Mel T says:

Just in case anyone is 40-49 and eligible to book your covid booster – the NHS website just worked for me 🙂

• SteveJ says:

Thanks, seems to work a month out, i.e. if you had your second jab 20th June or earlier then booster seems bookable for dates from 20th Dec. A few I know with 2nd jabs after 20th June cant seem to access the booking site.

• HH says:

Thanks! The system finally let me book mine as a carer in my 20s who got my second dose on 1 June.

• Daniel says:

Make sure you get your 4th 5th 12th jab on time too…

• Paul Pogba says:

Virgin Atlantic Airways is drawing up plans for a fresh £400m funding injection as prospects fade for an initial public offering.

• Lady London says:

Stephen added a reply to Blenz101’s at end of yesterday’s thread. I like Blenz’s idea of going for the ex-LHR one first and giving them an opportunity either before or after they lose, to use same fixing process on the other 2 tickets.

• Munch says:

Just arrived in Tenerife. I forgot my curve card (not been in my wallet since the creation fiasco). I have a Virgin atlantic credit card and a Halifax clarity. What would be the cheapest to use for small atm withdrawals?

• Travel Strong says:

Can you put the Clarity in credit before withdrawing? I know this used to work.
      (Assuming you have no debit card either).

• Munch says:

Yes I do have a debit card. Forgot, as I never use it normally.

• Anna says:

If you do withdraw cash remember a lot of atms in Spain charge up to 7 euros for the privilege!

• Ryan says:

Clarity will be much cheaper for cash

But even if you can’t put it into credit, you’ll likely be talking about less than £1 in interest at worst

• babyg_wc says:

Use curve + phone, you don’t need the physical card

• Sam G says:

Based on my Spanish experiences this year card acceptance is almost universal now. The only thing I needed cash for was a parking meter and I hadn’t brought any coins out!

• Roger W says:

Use the Halifax Clarity but pay it off using your banking App within a day or so. Works for me!

• Munch says:

Thanks for the replies. Small ATM withdraw just in case. Then Virgin card for free euro transactions.

• Mark says:

Gulf Air only allows me to credit to Gulf, Etihad and Air Canada. Don’t fly any of these airlines so anyone knows which is best to credit to and hopefully be able to transfer / redeem those miles for non-airline related things?

• Paul says:

You can transfer out of Etihad for a virtual credit card or Amazon voucher. Not a huge rate but essentially cash for unwanted miles…

• Rob says:

That’s what I’d do, and indeed what I did do a few years ago when my wife flew Korean which is also an Etihad partner.

• Blair says:

Great tip thanks. Gulf have some very good prices but where to credit has to be factored in for the cost of the foregone miles.

• Scott says:

Does the BRITISHAIRWAYS code for Randox testing knock anything off, or is £65 the price for a PCR-RT test?
    Got 20% off a Collison one at St. Pancras, but not sure here as no amount given and you have to enter details before you can find out either way.

• David says:

Hello HfP hive mind – advice appreciated on a flight cancellation issue please:

We have 3 flights booked on Plus Ultra airlines (Spanish company) from Caracas to Tenerife in 3 weeks time. Plus Ultra have contacted us to say the flights will now only go to Madrid and if we want to continue on to Tenerife we will have to pay extra. This seems against EU law to me…

When challenged, Plus Ultra said we’re welcome to submit a complaint and then basically hung up the phone.

What to do? We can email a complaint and presumably follow EU 261 process but in the meantime do we simply pay the extra for the MAD – TFN flight / book an alternative?

Wisdom welcome!

• Blenz101 says:

Nothing is getting resolved before your flight so you will need to pay for the tickets you want if you want to fly.

You have a similar issue to a case yesterday in that UK261 will not cover you as your flight isn’t to or from the U.K./EU you need EU261. MCOL will also require Plus Ultra to be registered in the U.K. which I would suspect they aren’t.

There is an intra-EU dispute resolution procedure which you could try. I think the limit is quite low but perhaps short haul you will be under the limit. I also seem to recall one of the first questions being about your country of residency and the U.K. not appearing the list any longer.

Others may have another idea on this one but Brexit may mean asserting the full coverage EU261 offered via the courts is more difficult unless the flight touches the U.K.

• Blenz101 says:

Did you pay by a U.K. credit card with S75 protection. That may be the easiest route to claim for failure to deliver the product advertised.