Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Thursday 25th November

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (512)

• BlueThroughCrimp says:

Amex 5K spend closing soon.
    Does the supplementary card spend count, or main card only?

• Mick S says:

supplementary counts towards the primary target.

• elguiri says:

I believe it was only main card as that is the one you saved the offer to. Mine triggered once I had that spend purely on main card, not when combined spend reached £5k.

• Jody says:

Main card only.

• BlueThroughCrimp says:

Thanks all. I did ask my Sup Card holder to hang off and I’d put the purchase through on my card, but hey ho.
        Gift vouchers to make up the shortfall it looks like then.

• Ray S says:

Hi all, sorry for late post – any tips for best hotel closest to Excel conference centre docklands for 1-2 night stay? I have Marriott and hilton Gold via Amex Plat.

• Rob says:

Aloft (Marriott) is technically the closest but the DoubleTree (ex Ramada) is only an extra minute or so. No shortage of options to be fair.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Aloft, really like it and it’s right next to it

• estrangeiro8 says:

Hi Ray, I can recommend the Aloft. I’ve stayed there a few times. Nice rooms, friendly staff, and good amenities (there’s a swimming pool and gym on the ground floor). It’s just next door to the Excel Centre, and a stone’s throw from the DLR station. Prices are generally reasonable too.

• Graham Walsh says:

I was at the Aloft recently the other week. Wasn’t impressed with the room service. Served in boxes due to covid. Wasn’t easy to eat fish & chips like that. Also used the Hilton DT too, that has free parking (limited spaces). Aloft you need to pay, but it covers up to 6pm on the day of checkout.

• FatherOfFour says:

Creation refused to reset THE PIN on card being closed. I requested about a month ago and they got back to me yesterday!

If they had had the ability to view or change in the app, like Curve do, a higher proportion of my transactions would have been direct on the card anyway, rather than via Curve.

• Andy says:

Suggestions for Christmas holiday to a country that doesn’t need a pre flight PCR test.

Have got Mexico, any others?

• Anna says:

Some don’t require it if you’re vaxxed, e.g. Spain/Canaries. Mexico is a good bet though as it’s not had much in the way of restrictions for most of the pandemic so unlikely to start now.
      People have been saying Aruba is quite relaxed as long as you can show you have travel insurance, but there aren’t any direct flights from the UK.

• Andy says:

Any suggestions for Christmas holiday locations that don’t need a per flight or on arrival PCR test?

• AndyGWP says:

In the next hour or so (assuming that’s when I get through to BA), there might be a couple of Avios Business class flights for Mauritius @ Christmas time (outbound on 19th, returning 28th Dec) dropping into the inventory, in case it’s of use to anyone 👍

• AndyGWP says:

Cancelled – please let me know if they re-appear and you manage to bag them – good luck 🤞

• BuildBackBetter says:

South Africa on red list from noon tomorrow. Faster than usual, but why wait till noon tomorrow?

• Rob says:

Because the flights are already boarding in South Africa?

• Harrier25 says:

What a joke. I wonder how many cases of the new covid variant are on this incoming flight? Boris’s circus show continues….

• Jonathan says:

You have to allow some time to get the hotels prepped again. Remember that they’ve essentially been mothballed for the past few weeks. I imagine anyone arriving tomorrow morning will be also be getting at least one visit from T&T for a PCR.

• Harrier25 says:

I bet they don’t get a visit, Jonathan. They’ll be spreading around the streets of the UK by tomorrow afternoon!

• Peter says:

No difference. Country on red list, people will fly to UK with
      a stopover somewhere in EU spreading it there, then come to UK healthy, followed by all Europeans who caught it would bring it here.

• Bill says:

Explains why some are still contacted

• Dave says:

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. We still don’t know if this new variant will take or not. It like many other variants of concern have been identified which is credit to the South African authorities in this case. We need more data in order in know if it’s going to be a bit of a false alarm or whether it’s serious. Good to see swift action taken but let’s see what the next few weeks bring