Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Tuesday 30th November

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (359)

• Can says:

I removed my Amex from Amazon and added a Visa credit card, hoping to get the £20 offer. Those who got it, how long did you wait to see the offer? Did you use the visa to put an order already to get the offer?

• Bill says:

A while away yet, but in February I need to transfer from Gatwick N to Heathrow T5 on a Sunday morning. I need to reach LHR by 930. Can someone please recommend a transfer. It’s 2 adults and 2 children. Normally willing to take the train but I guess it would take around 2 hours

• Sam G says:

Book a taxi – I have used BA Transfer many times (no relation to BA !) And there are others, Addison Lee etc

It’ll be same price if not cheaper than the coach and you are right, absolutely not a journey that is easy by train

• ChrisC says:

National Express coach takes an hour. Current cost Is £ 60 for the 4 of you.

I would never take the train on that route as too many changes involved.

Am sure others can suggest car services.

• Super Secret Stuff says:

Could get a direct train from Gatwick to Guildford then a rail air coach, but if you do that you might as well get a direct coach

• Sam G says:

I think its nearer £80! Also a pretty reduced service on coaches from Gatwick currently so likely doesn’t work if time restricted

• Bill says:

The coach on my travel date is £60 but the “trek” with kids from North Terminal to the coach stop is off putting. Plus I would need to allow about 10 mins or more. Whereas a cab would have us on the way from the Premier Inn hotel. Great Britain Cars and even Uber look to be around £80. I’d appreciate recommendations

• bill says:

Just re-read the National Express website and the coach stops at North Terminal Lower Forecourt. That could work ok…

• Shaw West says:

Mini cabs might be the cheapest option for the 4 of you. The direct coaches might work more expensive as there are 4 and will defo take longer

• Graham Walsh says:

I’ve used the coach before when I missed a flight at Gatwick and had to rebook another carrier from LHR. Wasn’t too bad journey, think it was a Saturday lunchtime. The only advantage of a taxi is that it could easily detour if there was traffic/accident etc.

• Darko says:

What is the link for claiming missing avios from the double tier holiday offer? “Claim missing avios” page was not working yesterday, but it is working today. When I enter the ticket number, it comes up with an error. I suspect that’s the page to use if the base avios are missing?

• AJA says:

From the FT thread:
      Have your double Tier Points posted? If not (and 30 days have elapsed since your return date) send your membership number, date of birth, email address and postcode for each passenger in the reservation to [email protected] and they will award the Tier Points for you.

• Steve says:

FYI it seems like the transfer of Amex Membership Rewards points to Avios is no longer instant… The website says 3 working days, and it’s been several hours for me and they still haven’t come through yet.

• Andrew says:

It never was instant – other partners like Emirates and Virgin it is, but BA was always a few days (last time it was 2 weeks for me)

• Steve says:

Ah, my bad. I had it in my mind that it was instant, and a quick google to confirm brought up some websites that claimed it was (although notably not HfP – that should have been my clue!). Thanks.

• Jill ( Kinkell ) says:

Did a transfer the other day. Appeared after 2 days. I was quite impressed!

• ChrisC says:

Just checked the Covid appointment booking website to try and bring my booking forward.

There is a message there saying they are working on the system to allow for the changes they announced yesterday and to check back later

• Mark Maynard says:

Sorry if this question has been asked already and I guess any answers will be conjecture at this point.
    I used a BA companion voucher earned in September 2019 to book flights to Cape Town for December 2020, these flights were cancelled due to the new variant found last year and we reused the voucher to rebook for this year. Obviously this trip is now looking unlikely as well.
    Any thoughts on what will happen with regards to further extensions?

• ChrisC says:

As your voucher is within a booking it is safe from expiry.

Even if you took an FTV it would be safe.

• GaryE says:

Has anyone got recent experience how long BA take to get back with FTV if you cancel a holiday? – When I last did this a couple of months ago, they were very prompt – within an hour, but wanted to know if the situation had changed. Also this booking had a mixture of evouchers and FTV as part of the full payment – do you know if I will get back multiple vouchers or just one voucher? – Thanks

• ChrisC says:

One voucher. Well I did the other week. (Just keep an eye on the amount in the voucher as mine was wrong but I know the actual amount it should be)

Can range from a couple of hours to a week. Depends on the volume of voucher requests and I imagine they have skyrocketed the last few days!

• Ben says:

Has anyone used Randox in person COVID test at Finsbury Circus. I need to take an in person test before I fly to Dubai next week so thought id see if anyone has used it. Advice welcome!

• BP says:

Used Randox in person in Glasgow yesterday at about 5:30pm. In and out in less than 10 minutes – very busy but they churn through people quickly. Turned up 20 minutes late and it wasn’t a problem. Results arrived 6am this morning for the cheapest PCR results by 23:59 next day service.

• Ben says:

Brilliant. I was worried as they are a the cheapest and one of the larger providers.
        Appreciate it