Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 1st December

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.

Comments (488)

• Noggins says:

It may have been covered elsewhere but I noticed today that my 10k bonus avios from AMEX for spending £5k before end of November have posted. I spent the £5k as soon as the offer went live and had almost forgotten to look out for the avios. Nice to seem some things work reliably!

• Greg says:

Same here. 60,000 bonus avios for a £5k spend on my new business AMEX. Appeared shortly after I hit the target. Unlike my Nectar reward on my Sainsburys card which still hasn’t arrived 4 months after hitting the target spend in store..

• r* says:

For the UAE Alhosn app, am I right in thinking that you first have to fill in the register arrivals form and its okay to not upload the pcr test cert when that form is being completed as it can be added later (I dont have it yet)?

Then do you get the id number to be able to use the alhosn app? Does the pcr result then get uploaded to alhosn?

• Rhys says:

The process is very convoluted. I couldn’t quite make head or tail of it and never actually needed it (back in September). Wasn’t asked a single time.

• Tarmohamed says:

Dubai don’t care about the Al Hosn app. Not sure about Abu Dhabi.

• r* says:

I shall be going to Abu Dhabi as well, but my main concern is filling in the forms to be able to board to dubai 🙂

Emirates site says you also need to use DXB Smart App, is that something thats checked at immigration/needs something completing or is it basically the equivalent of the nhs covid app and not needed?

• Blenz101 says:

DXB smartapp certainly not required.

Not familiar with setting up Al Hosn as a tourist but certainly any test you take in the UAE will show up in the app.

• Ali says:

Yes fill the register arrivals. You can go back afterwards and add more data to it.

You get given the id number for the app in passport control which then links to your arrival record and lets you login to alhosn (but if you go through the e gates you should ask for it before you leave the immigration area)

• Benilyn says:

How do you go back and edit the ICA? I see once done online pre-arrival, no way to go back to it?

Once I fill in the ICA, I got a QR code immediately, is that all or am i waiting for a confirmation from them?

• MKB says:

I need to re-schedule some upcoming BA flights to next summer, as I don’t want to accept the new times that BA have given us (as I don’t fancy a three-day weekend break being reduced to less than 24 hours). BA.com will only let me move to other I-class flights, and the ones I want are R-class, so I have to do it via the phone.

I’ve tried several times a day for several days with no success. The BA Gold line is the worst as it makes you wait nearly 3 minutes before cutting you off. The other lines are only 1.5 minutes. On Twitter, they simply ignore me. I haven’t got any more time spare to waste on this.

Do you think a letter to BA by recorded post stating that we are not taking their revised flights, and telling them when we want instead, will cover me legally if I’m not able to get through on the phone by the time of the outbound departure?

• Sam G says:

Try right at 8am or live chat – I’ve had success with both multiple times (also evenings approx 7pm)

• MKB says:

Live chat doesn’t work. You get through a plethora of questions with the bot, only to get “Unfortunately, there are no agents available at the moment. Please try again during our business hours.” This is during business hours.

• MKB says:

As I implied, I will keep trying, but I am not time rich. Hence the question about how I stand legally if I simply send a letter.

• Sam G says:

there is no obligation to rebook before departure & if your outbound has been rescheduled to a different flight number and you haven’t accepted then you won’t no show anything which removes that headache (their headache, not yours anyway) .

So really you don’t even need to send a letter – I’ve rebooked a ticket in this exact circumstances by phone and it wasn’t a problem (was travelling within 1yr of booking, if you’re trying to push it out to 1yr since cancelled flight or beyond you’ll hit the well documented problems here)

• MKB says:

The outbound is operating normally. It’s the inbound that has been moved.

• His Holyness says:

I had some M&S lasagnes confiscated at MAN this morning because “they’re a liquid” due to fulfilling the criteria of being spreadable. You can spread hard cheese too. Plus, cottage pies, haddock in a cheese sauce?

I feel this was unlawful, and a Judge would not consider a lasagne to be a liquid. GOV.uk guidance mentions food stuffs that are majority liquid, for example olives in oil. Any thoughts on lasagne?

• Pete M says:

Thank you this cracked me up! Oh MAN and their security “rules”!

• Anuj says:

It might be unlawful but even complaining won’t do much because it’s a systemic issue, not just an issue with one or two people in security.

• Polly says:

So funny, can’t be true! Did your mammy buy them for you?

• Rui N. says:

You should have gone to a cafe, ask them to warm it up and then give it to the people at security.

• Tarmohamed says:

We had a half bottle baby calpol confiscated because we needed to have a prescription but baby milk 200ml was absolutely fine without a prescription.

• QFFlyer says:

Whereas I carried a bottle of cough syrup through in my pocket. Consistently inconsistent.

• Rui N. says:

I’ve seen someone taking a 6 pack of 1-litre bottles of soy milk claiming to be for the baby. They let it through!

• BuildBackBetter says:

Why would you need a prescription for baby milk?

• Anna says:

It’s MAN so this doesn’t surprise me at all. I’ve had them take issue with hard-boiled eggs and a clean, empty re-usable coffee mug in the past (because “it might have had liquid in it at some point”!!) and all sorts of other nonsense.
      I’m fully expecting them to take umbrage at solid soaps and shampoos one day because they become liquid when you take them in the shower.
      Some things don’t worry them though!

• Soloflyer1977 says:

I still feel hard done by when my personalised jar (for my mother) was confiscated at LHR many years ago.
      Re: lasagne, if travelling to the EU, you may had problems on arrival with meat products if you had successfully boarded the plane with said lasagne…

• Soloflyer1977 says:

of nutella 🙂

• CH says:

I had a jar of peanut butter confiscated at LHR a few years ago. I queried, and was told that it was because it was a plastic jar, as ‘anything in plastic was a liquid’. If it had been a glass jar I apparently would have been fine. I gather they were concerned that someone could have rushed the cockpit and smeared peanut butter from a lightweight plastic jar, whereas a glass jar would have been sufficiently heavy that…it would have had to have been smashed into glass shards to extract said peanut butter?!

• Rhys says:

Sounds like a bogus answer if you ask me! But nutella, peanut butter etc are generally treated as a liquid.

• Chris says:

I had a jar of peanut butter confiscated while connecting at LHR a few years even though it was in a clear duty free transit bag (with receipt visible)

The supervisor’s condescension and borderline racism about how my departure airport’s security couldn’t be trusted made my blood boil. Sadly I was cutting it fine for my connection and just had to take it on the chin

• Craig says:

Shortly after the rules came in I had a frozen curry confiscated, I was operating crew and it was my dinner! I tried to explain the difference between a solid and a liquid and how it may even become a gas after I’d eaten it. The science was wasted and I ended up with a plastic sandwich instead.

• Aston100 says:

Some airport security personnel use fear and intimidation.
      I don’t think they are allowed the amount of power they think they have, but because passengers rarely challenge them, they’ll continue to act like power mad dictators.

• Phil W says:

My favourite line for them when I know I’m right is, “now run along and fetch your supervisor so we can have a grown-ups chat, good boy!”.

I find it is best to counter fear and intimidation with the condescension and belittlement it deserves.

Last time I went through MAN they stopped me because I had 3 laptops and 2 tablets, telling me it was too many. You couldn’t make it up.

• His Holyness says:

I’ll write a LBA, otherwise I intend to MCOL this. It’s a scum airport.

• Lady London says:

lasagne *is* largely liquid.

your only way of transporting it is to put it in containers of 100ml size each. you can have a total per passenger of 10 such containers containing liquids.

Note that the *capacity* of each container must be a max of 100ml – half-filling a container of 200ml, say, will get that container confiscated as it’s over 100ml.

Clearly you don’t cook do you, yr Holyness. Lasagne is mostly just sauce. So wet. So liquid.

• Anna says:

But they do make it up (as they go along), @Phil W! But who’s going to argue when they have the power to stop you getting on your flight?

• Bill says:

Manchester. Says it all.

• Bill says:

I have 3 Manchester departures next year. Pray for me. Much prefer Liverpool if I can

• Andrew says:

The clue is *sauce*, whether it is bechamel or cheese sauce, it’s hard to argue that a sauce isn’t a liquid.

I had 6 kilos of fresh gooseberries in my hand luggage at Heathrow.

Passed straight through, although I did say to the security staff and opened my bag *before* it went into the scanner.

• davefl says:

Are you citing McVities Jaffa Cakes Vs HM Gov Vat ruling here? 🙂

Honestly they’re just pathetic. I had a bottle of contact lens solution (sterile) 20 ml left in the bottle which was labelled 120ml (manufacturer had just changed labels from 90ml to 120ml without changing the contents). They forced me to dispose of or go back out and check the bag.

The level of security theatre here just makes me furious. Nothing to stop me going through with an 1L empty bottle and then pouring 10 x 100ml bottles of ‘something’ into it to make something very nasty. So why is 20ml in a bigger container an issue, especially commmented elsewhere people take massive bottles of milk, gaviscon etc through without a second glance.

I hate MAN!! and I’m back there yet again on Sunday 🙁

• davefl says:

And they took a plastic and metal mobile phone stand off me last time citing that it was a ‘multitool’ and was therefore prohibited.
        Biggest ‘blade’ on it was 2mm across blunt flatblade screwdriver.

• Michael C says:

Had a beautiful wrapped Xmas present soap taken off me as “liquid” in Liverpool, with them saying “it would be liquid if you melted it” and my replying “so would my trousers”. They then delicately placed it on the top of the “dump” pile – so annoyed later I didn’t take it and wash my hands with it in the loo.
          However, years later, with LGW and our miniature lemon curd, we took a finger-scoop out each before surrounding the pot.

• Magic Mike says:

Do MAN security not know that humans are just a bag of liquid?!

• Dmw says:

I’ve had Avios sitting on my BAPP for nearly 3 months (including the bonus 45,000). Do they no longer transfer to BA automatically?

• George says:

To those that did the trick of removing payment methods trick on Amazon for £20 credit offer – where did you see the banner – app or desktop, and on which page?

• laineyling says:

Hi

I have flights booked with finnair and wondered if my BA silver status allows me to choose seats on finnair. Also how do i credit these to BA?
    I didn’t seem to be able to do either of these via finnair site but maybe I’m being blind. It was a travel agency booking if that makes a difference.

• QFFlyer says:

Yes it should and it’ll all be possible once you add your BAPP number to your booking – go to MMB on the Finnair site, and just add your FF details.

• QFFlyer says:

Sorry I clearly went blind to the second half of that – travel agency booking may be different, you might need to contact them to add your FF# to the booking.

• laineyling says:

Thank you! I’ll try again and see. Appreciate you taking the time to reply

• NP says:

I have 5 tickets under one booking ref with BA. I need to cancel 4 of them for a voucher. Does anyone know if this is possible and if I can do it online? Thanks