Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express £160 gold charge – best option?

• DTR 105 posts

Hi folks.

I’ve just been charged £160 after a year of Gold. I barely use the card, so am not prepared to pay this.

Should I:
    1) talk to Amex and see if they can do something (ie reduce the charge or give me points to stick – might they do this?

2) upgrade to plat for the bonus 20k and keep for a few months. I’d be willing to pay fr a few months given dining credit and points

3) downgrade to a free card to keep my points live

4) any other options?

I’d like to not be forced to convert my point balance and would be keen to build it further. But I don’t want to pay £160 for nothing.

Thanks!

D

jsto 74 posts

Upgrade seems to be a good option if you can rapidly hit the £4k spend requirement (though didn’t realise the upgrade has reduced from 40k to 20k).
    When you upgrade you’ll get the (vast majority of the) £160 back.

If you can hit the spend within 2-3 months, say, you will get the 20k points + 2 x £150 dining credit (this year and next), 2 x £50 Harvey Nicks, for perhaps £120-£150 or so, which seems decent value – and then you could downgrade after.

If you’re unlikely to hit the spend perhaps a downgrade is the best option (after trying to get a retention offer)

Aston100 1,385 posts

Get the free Amex CC.
    Contact Amex CS and tell them you want to cancel the gold card.
    They might offer you an incentive to stay. If it’s good enough for you then stay, if not, proceed with cancellation of the gold card – your annual fee will be pro rata refunded and your points safe (due to the Amex CC on your account).

Wait a couple of months and apply for the gold card again, fee free.

Gary_Dexter 130 posts

You’ll get a pro-data refund on the fee if you cancel or change card product.

Roberto 280 posts

Call and cancel it…
    They make a fortune when people don’t, why be one of those?

Reney 755 posts

Option 1: read the gold retention thread, sounds like people are being offered 20k points. If not offered, say you will think about it and hang up https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/amex-gold-retention-offers/page/3/

Option 2: if you can get option 1, then points wise options 1 and 2 are the same (option 1 is without a spending target to hit). The question becomes if you want to pay for the dining credit and Harvey nicks credit etc. If you happen to be travelling the insurance and lounge access and foreign dining credit come into play too. Also if you do it now and hold the card into the new year, you will get all these credits to use in Dec and again in Jan.

Option 3: If you have another player AND don’t mind the credit score hit. I would get referred and apply for the ARCC – the free card that earns MR points, the MR account should automatically link, then cancel your gold card. Earning the referring bonus (especially if another player has the plat card and get 12-24k MR points referral) would be better than just downgrading (I am not actually sure which card they can downgrade you to these days).

DTR 105 posts

Thanks all for the tips – very helpful. Hadn’t thought of all those options, such as referring or reapplying in a couple of months.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.