Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express 24 month rule for Amex

• hugo r 280 posts

I currently hold the free BA card with Amex , 2.5 years ago I closed the Amex gold rewards card

I called Amex today in Brighton to see whether I would be eligible for the bonus spend points if applying and being accepted for the gold rewards card , they said there is a new rule in place to say you cannot have the bonus points if taking out a new reward card , regardless when the previous account was closed , is this true ?

JDB 4,341 posts

The rule on the Amex Preferred Gold bonus is :-

”This new Cardmember offer is only available if you have not held a personal American Express Card within the previous 24 months. If you have held a personal American Express Card within the previous 24 months, you will be entitled to all other Card benefits, excluding the welcome offer.”

Having the BA free card precludes you for the Gold SUB, but you can get the Platinum SUB.

hugo r 280 posts

Hi thanks for this however the reward card I had was closed over 24 months ago but Amex saying new terms say no bonus regardless of when you cancelled. They say if you had held any reward card – even if cancelled 3 plus year ago , you won’t get the bonus .. is this correct

Rui N. 828 posts

You still have a BA card, that counts.

NorthernLass 7,468 posts

There was an article literally a couple of weeks ago!

https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/12/29/what-amex-sign-up-bonuses-are-you-still-eligible-for-2/

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    hugo r 280 posts

Just read that article it’s saying you have to wait 24 months to be able to get the points on the card , Amex are saying that the rule changed this year and it doesn’t matter when you had the card and cancelled it you no longer get any bonus when taking out a card . Is that correct ?

JDB 4,341 posts

Just read that article it’s saying you have to wait 24 months to be able to get the points on the card , Amex are saying that the rule changed this year and it doesn’t matter when you had the card and cancelled it you no longer get any bonus when taking out a card . Is that correct ?

As I and other posters have stated above, you cannot get the welcome bonus on the Gold if you have held ANY personal Amex card in the past 24 months. You have said you have the free BA card, so are not eligible for SUB on Gold, either today or in the next 24 months.

Peter K 552 posts

Have you gone on the Amex website and looked up the T&C’s yourself? Not being funny but that’s the only way to really find out. I’ve had amex CS agents give me the wrong info before.

NorthernLass 7,468 posts

If the rules changed this year, that’s within the past 4 weeks and I think we’d have heard about it. Doesn’t Rob get advance notice of this kind of thing because of the agreement HFP has with Amex? The agents don’t always know what they’re talking about. I had one refusing to budge on the subject of monthly Platinum payments and insisting it was impossible and never happened – gave up in the end!

NorthernLass 7,468 posts

Also – was the CSA in Brighton or overseas? That sounds like it could be the US rules where I think they do have lifetime sign up bonuses.

TGLoyalty 501 posts

Hi thanks for this however the reward card I had was closed over 24 months ago but Amex saying new terms say no bonus regardless of when you cancelled. They say if you had held any reward card – even if cancelled 3 plus year ago , you won’t get the bonus .. is this correct

No that’s not correct.

But they may just be telling you that because you have a BA free card and don’t want to tell you to cancel it and not have a card for 24 months.

You’re eligible for the bonus on a platinum card.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.