Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Housekeeping Accessing UK BA account when abroad

• sueh 2 posts

We want to use our 2-4-1 voucher next week but we shall be abroad at the time. Will we be able to log into our BA account and purchase our flights or do we need to be based in the UK to do this? We haven’t tried to do this before. Hoping someone knows. Thank you.

FatherOfFour 282 posts

I managed to do this while in Copenhagen. However, I was using a VPN which BA.com doesn’t seem to like now.

ChrisC 956 posts

Never had a problem accessing BA when on holiday in several countries.

jj 520 posts

The main BA site is no problem, although it may default to the wrong currency until you uodate your preferences.

The shopping site for earning Avios is more interesting. You default to the local site and see offers in the local currency bit can change that back to the UK. However, if you click through, most retailers will then immediately default you to their own local site, and I have a bad feeling that changing the currency would destroy the cookie trail. For that reason, I’ve never used the eStore when I’ve been away.

To make that come to life a bit more, I recently wanted to book an airport transfer while I was abroad. Viator was slightly more expensive than booking direct, but offered a substantial Avios bonus through the eStore. I decided that I was too unlikely to earn the Avios so booked direct instead.

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

I’ve done this a couple of times from the US and Caribbean, on and ipad, using hotel wifi. No problems, in fact it was much better as the time difference meant my flights were released in the evening rather the middle of the night!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.