Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Adding 2nd leg to a 241 booking

• badmansam 8 posts

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere- I’m sure it has but hard to find anything searching…

We have booked a one way flight to MIA on a 241 voucher. We are waiting to book an open jaw return depending on what becomes available (probably something Caribbean or Mexico). The question is – can we book the second leg online, and then call BA and have it combined with our outbound leg and benefit from the 241, or do we have to call in the first instance to book this second leg if we want to benefit from the 241?

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

You can book the return leg online, and BA will refund half the avios (they can do this via Twitter) but NOT any extra cash element you pay. This is BAD news for return legs from places with high surcharges like the USA. However, some destinations, including Caribbean islands (don’t know about Mexico), are quite reasonable (GCM-LHR is about £250 in surcharges, for example, in CW), so while you do end up paying a bit more than if you’d booked in one go, it’s not a disaster, and you can completely avoid the stress of trying to speak to BA on the phone which is a pretty huge deal IMO!

badmansam 8 posts

Ok perfect! Thanks for your help

SteveJ 977 posts

You can book the return leg online, and BA will refund half the avios (they can do this via Twitter) but NOT any extra cash element you pay. This is BAD news for return legs from places with high surcharges like the USA. However, some destinations, including Caribbean islands (don’t know about Mexico), are quite reasonable (GCM-LHR is about £250 in surcharges, for example, in CW), so while you do end up paying a bit more than if you’d booked in one go, it’s not a disaster, and you can completely avoid the stress of trying to speak to BA on the phone which is a pretty huge deal IMO!

When you do this do the bookings remain as two separate bookings and reference numbers etc, or are they combined? Just wondering about cancellation charges etc should that be needed.

AmandaB 8 posts

Did you achieve this?
    I need to do the same. Did you use Twitter for the linking?
    TIA
    Amanda

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

BA generally won’t link the bookings but they will refund the 50% avios via Twitter – eventually! Be prepared to wait several days between responses. You will end up with 2 separate bookings and would have to pay 2 lots of cancellations fees if YOU cancelled (not if BA cancelled).

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    CatchFlightsNotFeelings 34 posts

I made a separate BA hotel booking to my Companion Voucher Flights – can BA link those? Currently the hotel isn’t showing on my BA account at all, only when i enter my ref under manage my booking.

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

No – you’ll need to keep track of your hotel booking separately, but it should be possible to add it to your account, I’ve done this with non-flight bookings.

buchanan101 95 posts

So I assume that this works fine when waiting for the 355 day window for a return journey?

Even though BA are being royal pains with paying my alternative travel costs for a recent return from Austria, I still have 200,000+ Avios and their return flights to Austria are exceptional value on Avios with a 241. Just booked an outward leg 355 days out to Innsbruck.

With a 241 it’s 17,000 Avios +£100 for 2 people return in Club. Absurdly cheap

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

Yes of course – Austria is a RFS destination as well so you’re not going to lose out cash-wise on separate bookings. You’ll be left with 2 separate PNRs but this can work either way – if you need to cancel both legs you’ll have to pay the cancellation fee each way, but if you need to cancel or change one leg, you can leave the other intact. Obviously not the best use of a 241, but if it’s expiring you may as well get what value you can from it.

*Of course you’re still dependent on being able to get the return leg when it’s released; it can be helpful to have a back up plan if someone swipes the flights before you can.

buchanan101 95 posts

The back up plan is cash as I have £800 in evouchers… (and there are two flights). I’ve never failed to get tickets yet in about 15 trips. Many people wait until the return is available so booking a Uk bound flight 355 days out should be fairly safe. I don’t dare wait until the return is available to book the whole trip; only 4 club were available this morning at 5am for each flight.

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

That’ll teach you to hang around till 5 am!

buchanan101 95 posts

That’ll teach you to hang around till 5 am!

4 seems to be fairly standard first up (but true, some may have gone). Later on some there seem to be more. I’ve seen up to 8.

My flight no club left now… I will be booking at 0.01am next Tuesday

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

When do the clocks go forward? It’s 01.01 after that!

buchanan101 95 posts

When do the clocks go forward? It’s 01.01 after that!

Ah – last Saturday in March, or is it last Sunday. Anyway, weekend after the one coming.

How does it work when you buy the return with Avios when it gives the various options; do you have to match the £ contribution with the outward (i.e. £25 each)? If you did the £1 option + more Avios (not that I ever do, they are poor deals) then they aren’t going to give you half of those Avios back…

NorthernLass 7,464 posts

I don’t actually know as I’ve never tried it but I imagine you’d need to select the standard RFS option. This tends to be the best value though.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.