Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex BAPP & Gold – link to same Avios account?

• davidm377 2 posts

Hi all,

I’ve trawled the forums but couldn’t find an answer.

I’ve had a gold card for 4-5 years or so and redeemed a fair few points into Emirates skywards over the years for business class upgrades. I’ve never converted to avios.

If I was to take advantage of the new 70k Avios welcome bonus via BA’s site for signing up to a BAPP card (Which I beleive I can as haven’t owned an avios earning Amex before?), are you able to link both the AMEX Gold Card and AMEX BAPP card to your avios account, given they are different cards, or would you only be able to convert from the one.

aq.1988 456 posts

Yes, you would be eligible for the 70k avios if you’ve never had a BA Amex card.

Your Gold card earns MR, and the BAPP earns Avios, which are 2 different things.

You can transfer your MR to avios whenever you want at a ratio of 1:1, but I would only do that if and when you are going to make a redemption, or you cancel the Gold.

memesweeper 1,248 posts

@aq.1988 is correct. Sign up for BAPP and get the bonus — this goes direct to BAEC. Link your Amex MR to the same BAEC and top up with MR as required just before you redeem your Avios.

I did this last year. I then cancelled my BAPP and kept my Gold. Long term I think Gold is better and IMO unless you spend a very chunky amount there’s not much point keeping both long term.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.