Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Marriott Bonvoy Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts – University Arms Cambridge

• DJ 91 posts

Hi,

I have made a reservation with University Arms via Amex Plat’s Fine Hotels and Resorts, and I have selected the pay at hotel option with my Marriott membership number.

I have just noticed that on my Amex Marriott card, there is a new Marriott offer “spend £250 and get £100 cashback” that includes University Arms. I was wondering if I could pay with my Amex Marriott card at check out, instead of using my Amex Plat?

Thanks

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

It should work.

DJ 91 posts

Thanks! That would be a great deal!

memesweeper 1,242 posts

It would indeed be a great deal. Great hotel — enjoy.

George K 288 posts

There are *some* hotels that do insist on you using your Platinum card, but I’ve never had this problem with a Marriott property yet. (Had it on a couple of the Maybourne hotels though).

If this does happen, a workaround would be to split the spend. Pay a nominal amount with Platinum, and the rest with the card that has the offer in.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

Or pay it at night when usually only the junior staff would be at reception and may not insist on paying with platinum card.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

If you really want to avoid risk, hand over the card with the £100 offer on at check-in (they are unlikely to question it at that point) and then check-out via the app or drop your key in the box in the lobby (they do have one, stayed there twice this Summer). They have no choice but to charge the card you left on arrival.

Man of Kent 67 posts

We stayed here for a couple of nights in August. When checking in make sure they know it’s a FHR booking as this wasn’t on their system when I checked in so there was a bit of faffing about. Once found though a nice room upgrade was applied however on checking out they had charged for breakfast, so they had to adjust the bill – we used the F&B credit in the hotel restaurant for dinner one evening.

DJ 91 posts

@Man of Kent I can see the booking on my Marriott app. So hopefully it wouldn’t be an issue for me. Fingers crossed.

Man of Kent 67 posts

@DJ I had the booking on my Marriott app too but to get the FHR benefits the hotel needs to be aware that the booking was made via FHR. They made some comment that they had different systems which didn’t talk to each other…!

It’s a lovely hotel, enjoy your stay.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.