Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex gave wrong date since last held BAPP

• smitrax 20 posts

When the 70k Avios bonus was launched on BAPP earlier this year my wife asked on chat (has supplementary plat card) when she last help a BAPP card and was told 4 years ago. With this knowledge she applied and received a new BAPP card and promptly spent several thousand and waited for the Avios to land.

Today, on chat, she queried when she might receive the Avios and was told she would not be receiving any Avios as she held a card in May 2021. She was also given a sob story about how people take advantage of these offers and then cancel the card which causes Amex huge loses!

She was not best pleased with this and has escalated a complaint as she acted in good faith based on information she was given by Amex.

Is this likely to end up with her getting the 70k Avios or will Amex just keep to the line of ‘sorry we have you the wrong information when you about when you last had a BAPP card but there’s nothing we can/will do as you don’t qualify as per the t&cs’.

JDB 4,338 posts

When the 70k Avios bonus was launched on BAPP earlier this year my wife asked on chat (has supplementary plat card) when she last help a BAPP card and was told 4 years ago. With this knowledge she applied and received a new BAPP card and promptly spent several thousand and waited for the Avios to land.

Today, on chat, she queried when she might receive the Avios and was told she would not be receiving any Avios as she held a card in May 2021. She was also given a sob story about how people take advantage of these offers and then cancel the card which causes Amex huge loses!

She was not best pleased with this and has escalated a complaint as she acted in good faith based on information she was given by Amex.

Is this likely to end up with her getting the 70k Avios or will Amex just keep to the line of ‘sorry we have you the wrong information when you about when you last had a BAPP card but there’s nothing we can/will do as you don’t qualify as per the t&cs’.

This sort of thing has been reported before. She will probably be bunged a few thousand Avios as a gesture of goodwill for the misinformation, but nothing like 70k. If you want to be in this game, you need to keep your own accurate records; don’t rely on anyone else.

smitrax 20 posts

Lesson learnt. Thanks.

This sort of thing has been reported before. She will probably be bunged a few thousand Avios as a gesture of goodwill for the misinformation, but nothing like 70k. If you want to be in this game, you need to keep your own accurate records; don’t rely on anyone else.[/quote]

zapato1060 622 posts

New to this game and one of the first things I had learnt was one agent will tell you one thing, another will tell you something completely different.

Why did you not at least check your email correspondence as it would have brought up ‘succesfully’ applied etc.

Imagine if you had issues. Others were being told they were only getting 35k even though they applied during the 70k run.

weehaggis 6 posts

When I applied for this offer, I dont recall seeing the 70K mentioned after cliking the initial link anywhere during the applcation process nor in any confimation emails. But, as soon as the card is received, you can register it in the Amex mobile app and can then see immediately which offers are in play. Any discrecpencies then contact Amex and if not resolved to your satisfaction just cancel.

As for the “sob story” from Amex. Give me a break!! If a customer takes advantage of an offer, following the Ts&Cs to the letter and its to the detriment of Amex, that’s down to them. They wrote the Ts&Cs. Dont try and blame the customer.

Rui N. 828 posts

The OP didn’t follow the t&c’s, so not due anything.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.